What happens to EXO ?

Stalker69

WKR
When I first got on ROKSLIDE here, it seemed as though EXO was “ the” packs to buy. Now it seems to have totally switched to kifaru. Has either company “ changed” something like cheaper or better material or something ? I want to buy my son a pack and can’t decide.

The newer Exos are IMHO improved over their earlier ones (I used to own a Gen 1).
Not sure why they are not more popular on here but I think they are still selling plenty of packs.

I own two now. No plans to ever change. Some people have to keep trying something different I guess.

It's probably hard to go wrong with a Kifaru, EXO, or Stone Glacier. Try them all if need be, and choose the one that fits you and your needs best. I've tried all three and still have my original SG. That's the nice thing about a 30 day trial period, and all three have that. I'd throw Seek Outside in there as well. I tried one of those too.

I don't see that. When a "which pack" question gets asked the answer is always, Exo, Kifaru, SG in no particular order, then the rest.

Maybe attitudes have shifted. I like that here when someone asks a question it's generally not that this one is the very best from a fan boy crowd. There's lots of good packs out there, they have different features that might work for somebody better than another.

Same as boots. Fit is different, everything works a little different for everyone.

There are so many pack s that will do more than we ever will ask for. Exo/Kifaru/stone glacier/mystery ranch. I’ve owned all these packs and have done week long trips in all sorts of weather and have hauled elk/deer out with all of them, a moose with the exo and none have left me wanting for more or mad/worried about quality. I could pick any of them and be happy. Customer service is the tipping point for me and all three are great. Aron from Kifaru is one of the coolest normal guys I know and has helped me out with random questions, let me try on some prototype packs back in the day and has always offered no nonsense advice. From exo, mark has bent over backwards with answering questions as well. I haven’t interacted with SG so can’t give any input there. So, for me I would put Kifaru first and exo second. I do wish exo would have a one piece belt, as that is the only thing that has me worried. But, it held up to my solo moose pack out just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO-
It’s aabout marketing. Gen1 then Gen2.0, then K2 then K3 and although they have made mods to the original K3 that change has not been publicized too much besides reading through threads here on pack reviews.

If the company doesn’t make yearly changes, new frames, bags, etc then there isn’t much to talk about. When others dive into marketing clothes, tents, or more and more bag options they get talked about more and that leads to their backpacks being brought up more.

each of the top 3-4 companies already mentioned make good products- but NONE of them fit and feel the same with day weight or heavy weight.

IMO-
It’s about marketing. Gen1 then Gen2.0, then K2 then K3 and although they have made mods to the original K3 that change has not been publicized too much besides reading through threads here on pack reviews.

If the company doesn’t make yearly changes, new frames, bags, etc then there isn’t much to talk about. When others dive into marketing clothes, tents, or more and more bag options they get talked about more and that leads to their backpacks being brought up more.

each of the top 3-4 companies already mentioned make good products- but NONE of them fit and feel the same with day weight or heavy weight.

Steve and Mark have spoken about marketing on the podcast. Basically, they do very little. They really on word of mouth. They are a small company, something like 6 employees small, and are fine with that. They want to build a great hunting pack and that is it.

OP you must be newer, when the site first started the only pack to get was Kifaru, then I remember when SG came along and it took them awhile to even be considered a serious option, both Seek and EXO came out with their first pack systems around the same time.

During all of this Kifaru has always been one of the main packs discussed here and the others slowly followed as they were proven. I’ve had many Kifaru s over the years but really prefer my EXO bag, just like the layout. As for frames, I like both equally. I haven’t tried SG or Seeks packs but that’s because I’m happy with what I have so I don’t really get on and discuss packs much as everything is there if one searches and I’ve stopped looking for the perfect setup.

So I’d say this forum has evolved over time from just a Kifaru recommended site to all of them once proven and one brand may get more press as new options come out.

Steve and Mark have spoken about marketing on the podcast. Basically, they do very little. They really on word of mouth. They are a small company, something like 6 employees small, and are fine with that. They want to build a great hunting pack and that is it.

I am not saying its a bad thing - but to answer the guys question I feel in a year like this year when they don't have changes or mods to their backpack system and other companies do- those guys wanting the latest and greatest will keep the other companies names on the tops of the search engine list.

When I first joint Rokslide 5-6yrs ago the pack to get was Kifaru. There were a variety of options but Exo was definitely newer and sometimes not even considered one of the “Big 3” as people like to say. Now they are definitely always in the conversation. The first nice pack I owned was a K2, then about 18mo ago I got the K3.

The bag features of the Exos in my opinion are about perfect and the most functional. I love everything about them. Unfortunately the new lumbar pad material on the K3 slips badly on me with 60+lbs so I went to a kifaru this past fall. I hauled an elk with the kifaru and was absolutely blown away with its load carrying performance. But, I do feel like I’m carrying around 2+lbs of extra buckles, straps, pockets, etc of things maybe unnecessary for most guys day to day.

In the end all these brands make amazing products and like boots, you gotta try them to decide for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think exo has the bag design nailed but kifaru has the frame figured out the best for carrying loads that’s why have an exo bag on my kifaru frame it’s the best of both worlds IMO.

When I first got on ROKSLIDE here, it seemed as though EXO was “ the” packs to buy. Now it seems to have totally switched to kifaru. Has either company “ changed” something like cheaper or better material or something ? I want to buy my son a pack and can’t decide.
I think there are better packs - they do a great job marketing and sponsoring youtube shows. They really screwed up and switched from titanium to aluminum for a hot minute and had some fall out before going back to titanium.

My new KUIU with the new designed bags and suspension is a way better pack imo and handles weight better.

IMO - KUIU, SG and Kifaru are top tier and then the rest, including exo.

Both brands make great packs, and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses like weight and durability. (Nothing that would jealoradize a hunt). Like what’s been already said, I think Exo just does less marketing in general. I’m fortunate enough to own both and love them both.

Simply a sign of the times. When this site was founded back in 2012 it was Kifaru or bust. Then came SG and Exo around 2014-2016 and they were the best thing since sliced bread. But since, from a company positioning standpoint, this is a marathon, not a sprint, the best will shine when it's all said and done. Which, in my opinion, is Kifaru.

Any of them will suit most well and it's all personal preference but for me, Kifaru won my business a long time ago back when Aron used to share his personal # all over the web for peeps to call him with questions. Which I have on more than one occasion. Sure he has a few phone #'s now though, lol.

Back