Kifaru Fulcrum, or Dall, or Exo K4 7200 for 35-day self-sustained expedition.

off_trail

FNG
Hello,

I am new to this forum. It has been great so far in my quest to narrow down the options for choosing the right equipment for my next expedition.

So far, I am debating between the following:
Kifaru Fulcrum or Dall with a Sherman pocket and guide lid on a Duplex Lite frame.
Exo K4 7200.

A 3000 CI duffel or similar will be used for the purpose of adding additional capacity between any of the bags and the frames I think.

Requirements:

* Must have enough capacity to pack food and equipment 30/35 days. Food alone is approximately 70 pounds.
* Must allow for organization.
* Must be extremely reliable.
* Mus be adequate for a tall person.
* Material must be durable enough.
* As comfortable as possible when carrying over 100 pounds.
* Must not cause shoulder pain to a wide shoulders tall person.
Additional information:

* Geographic area is sub-antartic during summer, meaning it could pour rain for days, it can snow for days, windy days can present 50-80 mph gales.

* 85% of the route requieres extreme bushwhacking (This related to the durability of the bag).

* Terrain presents peatlands, bogs and peat bogs, hills, cliffs (This related to stability.

* The area is completely uninhabited (This related as to why such big loading/carrying capacity is needed).
* Failure of the carrying system (If not able to repair implies being rescued by helicopter or the navy).

For you to have an idea of the equipment of the required volume capacity:

* The shelter will be Kuiu Storm Star.
* The Sleeping system is adequate for freezing temperatures.
* Clothing for freezing temperatures.
* Some items need to be duplicated in case of failure. (Rain gear, an additional tarp, boots, etc.).

* Total weight of the system including initial load: ~ 130 pounds. Which will be reduced by 2 pounds a day as food is consumed.

* I am 6'6", 220 pounds, wide shoulders. I have never used neither Kifaru nor Exo backpacks.

My thoughts:
* Weight-wise, I think any of the systems can carry up to 150 pounds.
* Exo K4 needs no add-ons to allow for organization.
* Kifaru, in particular Dall needs plenty of add-ons to allow for organization (Increased cost).
* Kifaru Fulcrum being so wide, does it play against stability when waking in really uneven terrain?
* EXO K4 easier to "sandwich" additional load between the bag and the frame.
* Why does Kifaru Dall seem so much bigger than the K4 7200?

Bottom line:

I need advice, when it comes to:
* How reliable the options are when compared against each other.
* Which would be a better fit to carry over 100 pounds on the described terrain?
* Potential points of failure if either systems under heavy load.
* Is either system better for a tall person?
* Which system is more stable when heavy loaded?

Thanks in advance!

Martin
From Argentina.

OP
O

off_trail

FNG
I think either bag would be great for this.
But heck with the packs I want to know more about this trip!
Hi!
It is a 250-mile hike in the South Eastern tip of Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
There are several possible ways to do it. In our case we will be hiking along the coast line when possible.
Planned for mid December through mid January.

fatlander

WKR
If you can do 35 days self sustained, we should be asking you what pack and gear to take in the woods not the other way around.

I’d look to the people that have done this exact adventure before. Figure out what worked for them and go off their recommendations. You’re asking a bunch of people that do 3-10 days of back pack hunting trips. A very few do more than that, but I’m not aware of anyone around here doing month long self sustained rips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

off_trail

FNG
If you can do 35 days self sustained, we should be asking you what pack and gear to take in the woods not the other way around.

I’d look to the people that have done this exact adventure before. Figure out what worked for them and go off their recommendations. You’re asking a bunch of people that do 3-10 days of back pack hunting trips. A very few do more than that, but I’m not aware of anyone around here doing month long self sustained rips.

Hi,
To my knowledge less than twenty folks have completed the hike from start to finish the hike. All of them with assistance. Meaning they paid the helicopter company to drop buckets with supplies along the way.
Not what I am looking to do.

fatlander

WKR
Hi,
To my knowledge less than twenty folks have completed the hike from start to finish the hike. All of them with assistance. Meaning they paid the helicopter company to drop buckets with supplies along the way.

130 pounds is a lot of weight. For any amount of time, 100+ pounds is going to suck. It really sucks carrying a 100#+ pack through the mountains off trail, until you hit a trail, then finally get the meat to the truck. I couldn’t imagine doing it day over day for 30 days while bushwhacking.

Maybe you’ve got the experience for this, and maybe I’m way off base, but talking about having to be rescued by the navy if your pack fails leads to me think you’re not ready this trip.

Barney’s packs aren’t on your list but if you’re going to have that amount of weight on your back everyday that’s what I’d look at.

TX_Diver

WKR
For something of that magnitude and criticality I’d be buying both and testing them a ton before hand. Sell whichever you like less to recoup some of the money.

I wouldn’t leave a pack decision or boots etc too the opinions of others as they fit people differently.

OP
O

off_trail

FNG

Hi,
I saw it mentioned. Have you ruled out the Stone Glacier Terminus 8700?
Yes.

mt100gr.

WKR
Hi,

What boxes did the Terminus not check for you?

OP
O

off_trail

FNG
What boxes did the Terminus not check for you?
It uses an internal frame. It's load capacity cannot be increased like it is the case of those using an external one.
Besides that, it provides less organization features than say the EXO or the Kifaru with add-ons.
Those who I see tested it with 100# seem to lean more towards Kifaru prior to EXO releasing their K4 platform.

mt100gr.

WKR
It uses an internal frame. It's load capacity cannot be increased like it is the case of those using an external one.
Besides that, it provides less organization features than say the EXO or the Kifaru with add-ons.
Those who I see tested it with 100# seem to lean more towards Kifaru prior to EXO releasing their K4 platform.
Copy that.

Although you can add the Access Bag and any number of smaller dry bags with lashing points under the compression straps. And 8700ci starting capacity is HUGE!

"Organization" = weight. But I understand that living out of a single big bag for a month could be cumbersome. But that pack weight will be there the whole trip, too.

I have owned 3 different kifaru frames, 2 SG frames (and currently a terminus), 1 Seek Outside frame, 1 Mystery Ranch and also currently have an Exo K3....and I'd love to try the K4. And i have carried 100ish lbs on most of them (not for the distance nor duration you're talking, obviously) They all ride a little differently. But none of them have sucked for my body....any chance of trying a couple out before you commit?

tater

WKR
I would reach out to Larry at Pristine Ventures to talk about his ultralight sled system he uses in Alaska for hauling large loads between rivers.
May allow an option (at times) to get your load off of your back and onto a sled.

MTHokie

FNG
Copy that.

Although you can add the Access Bag and any number of smaller dry bags with lashing points under the compression straps. And 8700ci starting capacity is HUGE!

"Organization" = weight. But I understand that living out of a single big bag for a month could be cumbersome. But that pack weight will be there the whole trip, too.

I have owned 3 different kifaru frames, 2 SG frames (and currently a terminus), 1 Seek Outside frame, 1 Mystery Ranch and also currently have an Exo K3....and I'd love to try the K4. And i have carried 100ish lbs on most of them (not for the distance nor duration you're talking, obviously) They all ride a little differently. But none of them have sucked for my body....any chance of trying a couple out before you commit?
The SG Sky Guide 7900 would be an external frame option. I will echo all the rest of the dudes on here -- 250 miles with 100+ pounds - holy crap!

S.Clancy

WKR
Hmmm, it's more personal preference. I one tripped 3 mature mule deer bucks (110 lb ish pack weight) and half a bull elk plus camp (140-145 lb) this year with a Terminus. I previously used EXO and Kifaru frames, the SG Terminus handles weight better than those. Can't comment on the new models (Ark and K4) as I haven't used them.

I see your point with the expandable nature of the K4 and Kifaru with the load shelf, but that comes with pushing weight out farther away from your back, which will make it feel much worse. I would personally be looking for a really big (8500 cu in +) internal frame for that reason. I'm not sure who else makes internal frames that big.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I’d give Dan McHale a call. McHale packs. Pick his brain about packs and trips like this.
This.

I'd also seriously consider resupply. Standing up a 100#+ pack for that many days/miles, no matter how superhero you are, has risks of injury. I move twice as fast with a 60-70# pack as I can with 110#. Even getting 110# on, is risky for me. I'm 53, and past experience power lifting actually leads to not wanting to put any more of that stress on my body...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk