What Happened to Sitka?

This has been interesting to read through. Especially the comment about them maybe going to a "direct to consumer" model. Although that would arguably be at odds with the lack of marketing pointed out by the OP. I guess time will tell...

There are two things I have never been able to figure out about Sitka...

1) There are constantly new Sitka pieces on EBay being offered at a discount. The same cannot be said for FL, Kuiu, etc. At least not at the same volumes. I have always assumed that maybe this was due to a period where Sitka was way too liberal with a "pro discount" program?

2) This seems newer, and I'll use the Mountain Evo jacket as an example. That thing came out in 2023 I think? It was billed as the "layer you never have to takeoff, etc.". Basically lots of marketing, lots of new technology infused, etc. Fast foward not even 12 months later, and it's at a steep discount on their own website. It just seems like they're quick to have massive sales even on some newer stuff, and (at least from an outsiders viewpoint) there never seems to be a logical reason why (like a new, replacement item coming). The only logical things seem like they would be 1) way too much inventory as someone pointed out, or 2) new leadership potentially emphasizing revenue over margin to meet cash goals or something like that. As a consumer, I love it. But it's a weird trend to see a business hype a product cut the price drastically within a year of it being on the market.

Both of these seem to cheapen the brand, which is unfortunate because I think Sitka is top of the line in terms of quality. #2 is just an interesting observation, and it does seem like it could indicate some chaos behind the scenes. I think the business side of the hunting industry is really interesting; I should probably find better things to waste my brain power on....
I have a friend with Sitka Pro and it's now available on GOVX meaning a massive increase in folks (nurse, fire, police, military, etc) whereas before it was just guides.

The bonus 10/15% on product is also continuous and aggressive. It will be for 1 day or 1 week, and then suddenly will get extended.

Sorry - third post in a row but I went on a deep dive. Interesting there is a new President at Sitka Theresa Spangler as of 5 months ago. She has been there for 6 years and rose the ranks.

John Dudley's Instagram response about leaving Sitka is fairly blunt about not agreeing with new leadership and vision for the org. Surprisingly aggressive.

Origin is going to let him do what he wants and even likely become a partner as we have seen with other 'influencers'. Sitka is likely taking the more corporate approach, poising for a buy out.

Going down a rabbit hole, but the WL Gore website barely speaks about Sitka only referencing them 3 times in their fabrics division. They are on a ESG/sustainability crusade currently as a private company and in 2023 they started including Sitka into their metrics and results. This is why we see all the new jetstream, traverse, etc being recycled fabrics.

I'd be curious if they sell Sitka off as it doesn't fit their brand image, or what will happen to it. Sitka is not being operated by hunters. SG got bought out by Federal, Mystery Ranch by Yeti.

Sitka is ultimately owned by a chemical company which their main product Gore-Tex will be banned in most of the US by 2025....

OP
thegoosano
Great thoughts all around. Something interesting I saw today is an advertisement on IG for a new optifade pattern. Could be another reason why they are liquidating so much inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Great thoughts all around. Something interesting I saw today is an advertisement on IG for a new optifade pattern. Could be another reason why they are liquidating so much inventory.

Noticed that as well. Could be a possibility. Have heard a second time now from a trusted friend who works at one of their retail stores that the company has gone through some noticeable changes from the top down.

He said he isn’t sure if it will be changes for the better or worse only time will tell. Just said it’s “just different than what he was used to” He didn’t go into detail and I respect that. I had just bumped into him and mentioned I had heard rumblings of changes or suspicions and he kind of lead to the fact there might be some validity to all that but wasn’t gonna go into great detail.

Can you share? I have to say no way to that, the predominant demand for solid colours that would be too crazy of a pivot especially as there is dwindling evidence/public perception that any camo works.

Barklow came in and talked about how he is revamping the whole product line and on many podcasts he talks about how it will take time to clear things out and get to a more simple product line. He was the big game manager now he runs all of hunting.

On a podcast with MTN EXO he responds to the question of why are there tons of products being released and why is everything always on sale. He distances himself from it and speak that its decisions above and marketing.

Ultimately taking into account the largely negative exit comments of Dudley, sudden discontinuing of products (wndstopper not in the new jacket, Mountain Evo discontinued after 10 months, etc) rumours (above) of turnover, a new president, and being owned by an org that likely doesn't give a sh*t about hunting, it's not looking good.

If we see John Barklow leave you'll now its bad, or, this is the big change John talks about in a few podcasts that it will take a bit of time for Sitka to get where he sees it needs to go.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Can you share? I have to say no way to that, the predominant demand for solid colours that would be too crazy of a pivot especially as there is dwindling evidence/public perception that any camo works.

Barklow came in and talked about how he is revamping the whole product line and on many podcasts he talks about how it will take time to clear things out and get to a more simple product line. He was the big game manager now he runs all of hunting.

On a podcast with MTN EXO he responds to the question of why are there tons of products being released and why is everything always on sale. He distances himself from it and speak that its decisions above and marketing.

Ultimately taking into account the largely negative exit comments of Dudley, sudden discontinuing of products (wndstopper not in the new jacket, Mountain Evo discontinued after 10 months, etc) rumours (above) of turnover, a new president, and being owned by an org that likely doesn't give a sh*t about hunting, it's not looking good.

If we see John Barklow leave you'll now its bad, or, this is the big change John talks about in a few podcasts that it will take a bit of time for Sitka to get where he sees it needs to go.

I’m crossing my fingers it’s just a case that it will take some time to see all the beneficial changes come to fruition, such as those indicated by Barklow. I have a little confidence this might be the case from what my friend hinted to during our conversation. He mainly stated it’s just a lot of changes or growing pains all at once. Which has him a tad nervous but not lacking confidence forcing him to look for another job or brand of hunting apparel. Just a case he is just curious how all these changes will pan out since it is a lot of foreign territory being traveled all in a short span of time.

I’d guess Sitka is just getting aggressive with their industry adaptations, starting with a fresh canvas and making the necessary changes to continue being the top dawg in hunting clothing.

I’m crossing my fingers it’s just a case that it will take some time to see all the beneficial changes come to fruition, such as those indicated by Barklow. I have a little confidence this might be the case from what my friend hinted to during our conversation. He mainly stated it’s just a lot of changes or growing pains all at once. Which has him a tad nervous but not lacking confidence forcing him to look for another job or brand of hunting apparel. Just a case he is just curious how all these changes will pan out since it is a lot of foreign territory being traveled all in a short span of time.

I’d guess Sitka is just getting aggressive with their industry adaptations, starting with a fresh canvas and making the necessary changes to continue being the top dawg in hunting clothing.

Absolutely agree and am hoping for it. We have a brand in Canada called Arc'Teryx that was the Sitka of the hiking/climbing/outdoors world. It got taken over by a private org, restructured, and has gone to trash. They just released a native american themed poncho...they used to have the highest quality made in Canada Gore-tex coat on the market. Now it's all sustainable recycled paper straw boxes. Whole other story lol....

I have been holding on to my original Sitka pieces and loving them. Apex collection is sitll better than the Intercept collection. This sudden Merino collection that came out after Barklow has been so anti merino for so long was clearly a market share play. Ambient collection is incredible. New bino harness is a flop.

Be curious to see how it shakes out! They rolled out new gloves quietly. Fingers crossed by $400 Hyperdown is better than my Kelvin Lite Down!!!

OP
thegoosano

Sorry can’t seem to find it, but next time I see it I’ll screen shot it and share it here, unless someone beats me to it.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry can’t seem to find it, but next time I see it I’ll screen shot it and share it here, unless someone beats me to it.

You talking about this? It just came across my feed on IG
cff49f46536d15af4bb33e3dc1aab162.png

fef044a9a57ad2af6ac86c3ea4257400.png

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
is Sitka still super woke?

I wasn’t aware Sitka was considered “woke”. I wouldn’t be surprised WL Gore however has some potentially “woke” or DEI type nonsense sprinkled into their business affairs. As for Sitka itself being “woke” by any standard I’ve never seen it whether be it on their online presence or meeting/hanging out with any of them in person at events.

Now I will say having been with First Lite for the better part of their existence, going to events, seeing the changes take place over the years. I would say there is some “wokeness” going on in that company. The absolute garbage of a product was the main reason I disassociated myself with that company but there were other factors as well. Including those changes that most would say are against the grain of traditional outdoorsman values.

But for Sitka, Kuiu, Pnuma,etc.. I haven’t noticed it.

CJ19

WKR
I wasn’t aware Sitka was considered “woke”. I wouldn’t be surprised WL Gore however has some potentially “woke” or DEI type nonsense sprinkled into their business affairs. As for Sitka itself being “woke” by any standard I’ve never seen it whether be it on their online presence or meeting/hanging out with any of them in person at events.

Now I will say having been with First Lite for the better part of their existence, going to events, seeing the changes take place over the years. I would say there is some “wokeness” going on in that company. The absolute garbage of a product was the main reason I disassociated myself with that company but there were other factors as well. Including those changes that most would say are against the grain of traditional outdoorsman values.

But for Sitka, Kuiu, Pnuma,etc.. I haven’t noticed it.

Parent company WL Gore is mega woke. That means internally Sitka is swimming in woke corporate policy.

TSU_Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Parent company WL Gore is mega woke. That means internally Sitka is swimming in woke corporate policy.

Quite possibly, now how they handle it I’m not sure. They might do a decent job keeping any of WL Gores DEI type antics at a distance but couldn’t be for certain. Like I mentioned I personally haven’t seen or sensed it directly with anything coming from Sitka themselves. It’s not to say it isn’t just a matter of time before someone with a lot of influence and power sinks their dirty claws into the affairs of some of our favorite outdoor companies. I’m certain it’s already beginning to happen over at Meat Eater.

Saw that Sikta dropped their new "ultra orange collection" which is nothing more than branded cotton hoodies and Tshirts because... that's what the hunting consumer needs, more orange casual wear. Definitely couldn't benefit from some more technical outwear options in blaze orange.
Careful of you speak ill things of the $80 blaze orange hoody the Simps will come along and tell you bits the warmest, best fitting, most durable hoody on the market and that $80 is the new inflation price. 😉

2531usmc

WKR
My guess as to what happened to Sitka:

They realize we are entering a prolonged economic downturn and the consumer is already tapped out. So they are reducing inventory and significantly tightening their belt

In addition, they have a very significant overlap in clothing tailored in different configurations for different hunting types and multiple color scenes for each piece of clothing. So they are streamlining colors and clothing items to a smaller, more manageable, inventory

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
They just over saturated the market with product and retailers. I bought my kid a new camo set up at the Sitka store in Bozeman last Christmas. An hour later in Bob’s I find all the same stuff on sale for $200 less - returned the stuff to the Sitka shop. It used to be hard to find specialty gear, it’s not anymore. Only way to move the volume they make now is to drop prices. Quality usually follows.

OP
thegoosano
Does it seem odd they are releasing a new camo pattern in the middle of archery elk and archery deer season?