What do you do with your vehicle when camping backcountry

Blaw

WKR
What do you guys do? I am always worried someone is going to vandalise it more so then steal it. But either way..

are you usually just parked at a trailhead for a couple days?
parked on the side of the logging road?
do you leave a note?
A case of beer?
Set traps and trail cams?

bsnedeker

WKR
I lock it up and don't worry about it. I've parked at trail heads and on logging roads. When parking on logging roads I just make sure to leave plenty of room for any trucks to get by.

Of course someone could mess with it but the same thing can happen in my driveway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

work765

WKR
I forget which show I was watching. But the guy had two trail cams setup surrounding his RV, Incase they find one. And a written note on his RV saying “smile you’re being watched”. I like the idea of two cams if you happen to have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I am paranoid about it and hate thieves. That said, I don't let it stop me from hunting. Lock it, don't leave anything of value, hide gear left behind, hope for the best. Trail cams will catch people messing with it but, not the thieves themselves. Unfortunate but, it's the world we live in.

sasquatch

WKR
Park and go hunting. People worry too much these days due to the way news travels. Things are generally safer now than years back but since the news blast everything they love paranoid like turkeys. I refuse to live like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most of the responses so far I just lock it up and forget about it. If people really want to be dirtbags there’s nothing gonna stop them. Just enjoy the hunt and if something happens to your truck deal with it when you get back.

Park it, lock it, and leave it. If they want it bad enough they'll take it. If it's hunting season and you are parked at a trailhead.......YOU ARE ASSUMED and targeted to be a HUNTER. They don't think anything else. Just don't leave any valuables in the open or in the bed of your truck. Lock stuff down. I keep my cooler locked down in the bed of my truck only to be a deterrent but knowing full well it's not that hard to steal. NO GUNS are left in the vehicle. NO EXPENSIVE gear left in the vehicle. Groceries, yea....they can have them if they want them.

slvrslngr

WKR
Park it, lock it and hope for the best. So far the only issue has been a pack rat moving into my heater fan housing. 🐀🤣

Yeah honestly don't worry about it. One thing that gives me some piece of mind is not having any decals, stickers, or accessories like rooftop fly rod racks that in any way suggest what I may be out there doing. Having Colorado License Plates is bad enough as it is.

Rob5589

WKR
Park it, lock it and hope for the best. So far the only issue has been a pack rat moving into my heater fan housing. 🐀🤣
Brought one home from Idaho few years ago. Built a nest on top of my Jeep gas tank. Then moved into my tool box after getting home. Apparently, they like peanut butter, on a rat trap...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I drive my 25 year old Toyota, and not the newer Toyota.
Peace of mind.
We thought we were safe one year taking my buddies beat up 96 4Runner. Apparently there was a trend back in the 2007ish time frame where thieves were targeting certain vehicles that had platninum in the catalytic converters. They would go around with sawzalls and cut the cat out and drive off. Both of us shit our pants when he fired it up and it was unexpected fully open exhaust with no muffler. Talk about a wtf moment.

Mt Al

WKR
I drive my 25 year old Toyota, and not the newer Toyota.
Peace of mind.

I drive an old Subaru to the trailhead sometimes. They're so common around here it blends in nicely. No stickers.

Also, as much as possible I never leave anything, zero, in my truck or car, have no tint on the windows. If someone looks in, there's nothing to see except DQ wrappers and a folded/flat tarp. Blankets or tarps on top of a heap of "stuff" might make a thief tempted. If I have a cooler, it's a cheap one.

Otherwise, like stated above, lock it, leave it and have a ball.

22lr

WKR
Lock it and leave it with no valuables left inside.

Also, Make sure you are aware of what you did leave inside so you can file a good report if stuff is stolen. Also, if you are going to leave stuff in your truck (like a cooler for when you have a successful hunt) then make sure you mark your stuff in a way that cannot be easily erased, and always record serial numbers and keep them in a safe place. You'd be surprised how many people file a police report but don't have a way to positively identify something as theirs.

Finally, just a note. If you don't file a police report, it didn't happen and nothing will ever be done about it. So even if someone swipes a $15 tarp from your truck bed, call the non-emergency line to the local PD and see if you can file a report just saying what happened. You may never get your stuff back, and it may be a pain to do, but it will help the PD identify trends and increase patrols in areas that have a rash of theft.