What do you do with your vehicle when camping backcountry

Y’all don’t lock the door people are employing an interesting strategy. I was once in charge of a fleet of company vehicles in one of the biggest cities in the US, with its fair share of crime. The ones who didn’t lock the doors are the ones who had problems. Hardly any issues with thieves breaking windows to get in. The easy crimes are by far the most common.

I got my windows busted out a couple of times, haven’t locked my vehicle since. Results: vehicle pilfered through but no damage.

Reading some lock it and some keeping it unlocked.

I'm part of the unlocked crowd. I drive a beater and don't leave anything of real value in plain sight. Saves coming back to a broken window. If they want in, they will get in regardless if locked or not.

For weekend to weekend outings, I disconnect the battery. Not to keep it from getting stolen but to make sure it starts when I get back. I have a parasitic battery drain that I have not been able to figure out yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Personally I'm more afraid of having a packrat building a nest in my rig (yes this happened to my work rig last summer) than someone stealing stuff (my truck is obviously empty when I park it). I've left my truck at trailheads for 2 weeks with nobody messing with it. They could easily take or damage it while at home so I guess I'm trusting (probably naively so)

For packrats, I started to put moth balls in small cotton sacks and place them on each wheel...remember technically spread mothballs loosely around at your rig is not legal and makes a mess so that's why I use the little bags stored separately in their own tote.

rodent capture.JPG

Im not sure why everyone is worried about theft at trailheads.
They are busier during hunting season than a Home Depot parking lot on a Saturday
Someone is sure to see a theft happening.

Pack rats = problems

Never have had an issue. Hide everything well including chainsaws if at a popular trial head. I sometimes take out my good saws and bring a shittier one in case there was someone who needed it more.

Logging roads, do not block access to any road or gate and get off the road as much as possible. Do not park on curves and corners as that's a good way to piss off a log truck or lowboy driver.

Seen it in Wyoming too
LOL. I was just busting your chops/teasing. It gets busy up here too, even with our much smaller population and larger landmass. Even tho it's caused me to move on from some favoured spots, in search of quieter hunting grounds, I see it as a positive overall.

I've only had one problem in many decades;

We were parked at a TH in the Trinities in Ca for a coastal Blacktail hunt in archery season....some animal rights activist saw us leaving and smeared a concoction of tomato sauce and oatmeal all over my buddies Toyota land cruiser with "KILLERS' written on the windshield. By the time we got back the goop had eaten through the paint, the whole truck had to be repainted. A witness left a note...but the local sheriff declined to prosecute.

One of my clients with a ranch had packrats get in under the hood of his new Range Rover [parked in a garage] and it caused $16,000 in damage to the wiring.

_______

Back