2022 BC Mountain Goat Hunt Story

pawlyb

FNG
I wanted to write about the trip of a lifetime I was fortunate to have last fall.

My brother and I drove almost 24 hours up to the top of the province with sheep and goat tags in our pockets. Having caught about an hour's sleep on a pull-off we rolled into the float plane operation bagged but excited. This would be a new area for both of us. Good weather permitted us the beautiful flight into a lake flanked by steep mountains. Being my first fly-in hunt, I was anticipating that feeling one is supposed to get when the plane flies away. However, it felt quite comfortable being out where we were, whether that be from the adrenaline or lack of sleep I'm not sure. I felt ready to be on this adventure - it had been a long year of planning, e-scouting, researching logistics, training with the pack, and running through scenarios in my head - it was finally here.

The first day involved travelling up toward one of two reaches, each holding a stream in its valley funneling into the lake we had landed at. The drainage we would head toward looked as though it would slope gently upward such that one could then get on top of the ridgelines. It was a grueling slog at first through marsh. With about 75 lbs on our back, stepping in and out of mud from the get-go was not something I was used to. Immediately, the path we believed existed due to reading forums online and judging from maps petered out. The day was wearing on quickly as we had landed about 12 pm and this realization that we would have to adjust our plan occurred at about 3 pm. We contented ourselves with finding a spot for the night to sit and re-plan and spent the rest of the evening glassing from the junction of the Y between the two valleys.
We went to sleep as soon as dark fell and allowed ourselves to sleep in as we had not slept more than an hour for each of the previous two nights. We were down for 14 hours.

When we unzipped our tent, it was already mid-morning. Swearing that we wouldn't let a morning go to waste again we quickly set foot to a game trail that went up the west side of the creek. It seemed as though the trail wanted us to cross the creek at many points, but heading toward the valley bottom and the creek would run into the same slow-going marsh. Attempting to stay high as we traversed for better glassing windows, we kept up this routine of hiking for 20-30 mins, stopping to glass when a new mountain face appeared for 20-30 minutes, until our trail finally ran out. The only thing left to try was to cross the creek as the mountains on our side didn't look doable to scale. We looked across the marsh valley bottom at where we thought might be the easiest place to get up on the other side - a long slide from the mountain peak all the way to the valley floor - and decided to cross so that we would end up there. By the time we were across, we stood at the base of this approximately 2500 foot climb and it was mid-afternoon. We reasoned that if we gave it a hard push up the hill we could camp at the top and have the best possible glassing spot to wake up to. So began the thigh-burning trek up the gravelly hillside. As we neared the last 500 feet or so, the slope became distinctly steeper, leading to craggy features that appeared upon a closer view to require more work than we thought from the ground. Our pace had slowed, night was falling quickly and the rain started then. Not wanting to give up our progress, we spent a good 30 minutes searching for a flat spot, even flat enough to lay out in our rain gear for the night. But the best conceivable spot looked terribly uncomfortable and the rain was really pouring now. We had another discussion about how the work we had done to get here was now a sunk cost, and where would we rather be starting from tomorrow? The answer was clearly warm and dry at the bottom of the hill. With headlamps on we slid on heels all the way back down, eventually having to precariously cross a wet, mossy boulder field as the last step. At last we reached a grassy area, our gear completely soaked from the outside and the inside. We built a fire in the rain with the help of dead limbs and built our tents. Lesson learned: don't start a hill climb in the late afternoon.
IMG_0142.jpg

The third day we woke and revived the fire, finishing off drying the wet gear. We pulled out the binos and looked back toward the lake we landed at, staring straight at a very steep mountain wall to the north. Almost immediately we spotted goats. Out came the spotter and we counted 7, including 3 kids. We watched them travel up and down ridiculous stuff. The decision was now to carry on up the game trail to what looked like on our maps to be exactly what we thought the other drainage would lead to - wide open grassy sheep territory, an opportunity to get on top of the ridgelines, and hopefully sheep sign - or go back to where game was clearly visible. We decided that the goats we were observing would likely stay on that mountain, which we would have excellent vision of all the way up the drainage we were hiking. We also preferred to exhaust our options for sheep before turning it into a goat hunt. We said to ourselves "lets at least see where this trail goes, and if not we know there are goats back toward the lake." What we found when we started hiking was that the game trail seemed to just get better and better. In fact, though there were no hoofprints, this surely had to be a horse trail with how beat down it was. We continued to hike and take breaks at every new opportunity to glass for sheep. Big open grassy bowls 2000-4000 feet above us looked like perfect habitat, and again, it was hard to choose whether to pick one and try again to go up, or stay the course and check out the whole area before committing to a climb again. We saw lots of G-bear sign, and at one point my brother quickly alerted me to an animal to our 6. What we thought at first was a black bear at about 150 yards then bounded away in the familiar doggish way. What we had seen was a jet-black wolf. Large! Things were starting to get interesting. We eventually ran out of light and lost the trail. Turning back to the most recent soft clearing, we set up our tents, had another small fire and talked about our options.

The following day we were socked into our tents with no visibility and heavy rain till about 11 am. When we got up, we discussed how to handle another compromised day and decided that this trail had only gotten more interesting as time went on. It was starting to climb and heading toward a basin at the headwaters of the drainage. With half a day to hike, we reasoned that we would travel light and take very reduced packs up the trail as far as it could go before making any more decisions about where to get up. In retrospect, I do wonder why we didn't just take our whole packs with us, but I also remember at the time that we had seen several other candidates to get up on the mountains. Perhaps we felt that while we wanted to check out the basin, we were more likely headed back this way. At lunch time we departed, and immediately began climbing up the trail. The trail continued to get better until at times it was almost like a dedicated hiking trail. The views into valleys started getting really nice as our base elevation climbed and brought us closer to the bottoms of these upper reaches. Eventually the path took us onto a sidehill. Heading perpendicular to the trail, we went up the grassy hill to get the best possible glassing location.

After reaching the top of the grass bench, we had 180 degree views of the entire valley we had come up in the last 3 days, from the lake up to the basin we were heading toward. The basin was surrounded by sheer cliffs and was basically a gigantic sand pit where slides would tumble into from all angles. Amazingly, my brother again used his spotter to investigate a curious white dot he had seen on the side of one of these rock walls, and it was a lone mountain goat. We estimated that we were about 3000 yards from the animal when we spotted it. Moving toward it, we sidehilled and began thinking about stealth. By the time we could make out the animal's facial features in the optics, it had its face trained directly on us.

IMG_0187.jpg

All the while we moved we finally started seeing sheep sign. We saw prints inside caves that bordered the grassy shelf we were on, and very old sheep scat. Was it the time of year, or had there been something chase these animals away this season? We then got our answer when we entered what looked like an area that must have been a grizzly bear's home. We saw more bear scat, prints, and torn up bushes in that area than we'd ever seen in a localized place before. With tall brush all around, the memo was "keep your head up," but also keep your eyes on the goat. About 1500 yards now. We had one last final talk about whether this was the animal that we were going to make the move on - it looked like a shooter, we hadn't seen anything but very old sheep sign to this point and this area was harder to navigate than we had banked on. However, it was about 7:30 pm and light would go to about 9 pm. We were at least 2 hours hike from our camp. "Can't be afraid to spend a night on the mountain," my brother 6 years my senior and very experienced outdoorsman said to me. So we went.

Part two continued below...

Last edited:
OP
pawlyb

pawlyb

FNG
We had to dive all the way back down into the valley bottom and back up the other side of a creek to get our view back of the goat. Luckily he was still there on his perch, overlooking the entire scene. This time, though, when we got sight of him and him of us, he started moving. We were getting close to the absolute edge of firing distance and having to make the tough call of how much more distance to close. If that goat decided to go up and over even one ridge we'd never see him again. We made one last little dash up to the next rock feature and set up. It was my first time shooting on such steep, uneven ground but I had plenty of time to set up, as his movements had ceased for now. I hit him once in the chest as that was his apparently permanent position. He then turned broadside and my next shot sent him cartwheeling off the cliff. We had done it!

Or had we. Now we had to cross what was essentially a massive boulderfield that would lead us well out of the sightlines of where we shot. And night was falling fast. By the time we got to where we thought he fell we were fully dependent on headlamps. It was getting steeper and steeper the closer we approached his cliffs and the closer view of the mountain revealed a more complex cliff structure that meant he could be hung up on one of several tiers of cliffs. We struggled to even make out where he might have landed. We had to find a place to spend the night.

IMG_0194.jpg

On what I genuinely believe was a 45 degree slope, where the slightest nudge of a rock would send it, almost as if in slow motion at first, tumbling down the hill, and with massive, jagged, overhanging cliffs above, we found the only flat spot we could to spend the night - a boulder. With just enough space to sit shoulder to shoulder and lay back against our packs, we settled in for the 10 hours of complete darkness to follow. We were convinced we had good gear and should be totally fine. But I had made the idiotic decision of not bringing my down pants from the campsite. As you can see my brother also had a closed cell foam pad with him, and I did not. I was wearing zip off long-johns and rain pants, and sitting directly on rock. The temperature was exactly freezing. The sleet started shortly after we sat down, drifting here and there into pure rain and into pure snow. The wind was brisk and directly in our face. Slowly but surely, I felt the smallest chill begin to creep in, especially through my lower half. I was wearing plenty of upper body layers including synthetic and light down jackets and a rain shell, so my core was warm. But there was no position I could lie in that would prevent the cold from coming in through the legs. My brother lent me an extra pair of zip off long johns but it was just delaying the inevitable. Aside from doing planks and pushups at times all throughout the night to keep warm, I learned the very valuable lesson: never leave camp without your insulation! And if I could go back, I would have taken heavier upper insulation too. I was wearing a KUIU ultra down jacket over a KUIU versa jacket. Should be great in freezing temps with the slightest of movement, but sitting perfectly still with wind blowing directly on you is a different story, I learned. The Kelvin WS Hoody I had hanging in my closet at home was just a figment of my imagination as I did V-sits to stave off the uncontrollable shivering. My brother was doing better than me, but not exactly dandy. The closed-cell foam pad and a tarp are other essentials I've since procured for the next trip.

6 am rolls around and we are quite soaked, haven't slept a wink and freezing. But we've got a goat to find. We spend about 2 hours looking for the beast and at last realize that what we thought was a part of the glacier was in fact our goat. This was an absolutely glorious moment and I'm so thankful I got the chance to have it with my original hunting partner. We got it processed and loaded our bags with the deboned meat and shoulder mount. It was about 3 hours back to camp and that downhill hike really gave my legs a good workout. I felt very lucky I hadn't rolled an ankle on all the rocks on the descent that would give way as soon as I put my weight on them. When we were finally back to camp I immediately fixed myself some warm food and crawled in the sleeping bag. Passing out was the easiest thing I'd ever done.

IMG_0215.JPG

Out of my dream I awake to the sound of bush crashing and my brother shouting with an urgency in his voice I have never heard: "Get your gun! get your gun and get the f*** out here!!!" We had been following grizz tracks all the way back to camp. Crashing clearly would lead one to suspect we had been sniffed out and our meat was now a target. But when we got out of the tent and inspected the campsite, we saw moose tracks right through our camp. A moose must have entered our camp, got our scent and bolted, smashing branches on his antlers.

That night we attempted to have a fire but everything where we were was completely saturated. We fiddled with it for an hour before calling it quits and having another fairly early night. Sleeping on a game trail with fresh meat a few hundred yards from your tents is not a secure feeling, I learned. The next day, we woke up to an even colder morning. We had left garments out to dry on trees and found them stiff with ice. However, we were blessed with a morning that warmed and warmed and even offered a breeze. Within a few hours, all our clothes were dry and it was time to pack up and make the journey back to the lake, where we were also lucky to secure an early flight out via InReach. Our trip was planned for 8 hunting days but we would be completely out on day 6. We made the heavy packout via the east side of the creek rather than crossing back where we came from - a point of contention between us. We dealt with a lot more marsh as a result of this, and I learned another lesson: when you're the younger brother, if you make a logistical mistake you WILL hear about it from your older bro. I deserved that one. Anyway, wading through chest high marsh with 100 lbs on your back is a whole lot sweeter when you know you did what you came to do. When we laid eyes on that plane and the pilot having a fire and a nap on the beach we knew it was all gold. A quick change at the beach, hop on the plane and back to civilization. What an adventure! Thanks for reading.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
That is awesome! Love reading great success stories like this. Congrats!

FNG
Good write up and congrats on your success. I too have pushed it too hard and had to sit on the side of a mountain overnight with dead animal. Once a goat and once a sheep. You would think I would have learned the first time. Those emergency space blankets are a wonderful thing on those nights. Also I use a small candle lantern.

Last edited: