What would you give up to save OTC opportunities?

Vandy321

WKR
A comprimise to closing roads...I could get on board with closing NF trails to anything motorized during hunting seasons, but keep the NF roads open. Pack in/out on foot if you want to hunt less pressured animals.

Obviously, exceptions would need to be made for those with legitimate mobility impairment.

Although, that might not help much in the NW states where logging roads zig-zag across the state, but It would certainly help to reduce access in CO, and in-turn, reduce hunting pressure. How much, who knows...

I'd also willingly go single string bow or iron sights only for OTC units.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Anybody want to bet that if CPW took a cluster of units that elk and deer didn’t migrate out of, and made them primitive, in 5 years you wouldn’t be able to get a tag because they’d become the “hot” units to hunt?

Not sure what lengths to make it primitive but that would be a cat and mouse game as companies would try to find ways around it. A start would be…

Recurve
Flint lock
Straight wall and opened sights (no rifling)

I agree with the many posts that OTC is on the way out. I believe it will start with rifle quickly followed by bow/muzzy as the herd moves that direction to hunt.

One compromise I’ve always thought may be effective is a round limit to hunting rifles much like waterfowl. Unprepared hunters with 6 300mag rounds can (and do) make mistakes as animals run. Additionally, animals on the move tend to group tighter which makes wounding after the first shot much more likely.

A limit of 2 rounds per rifle could (in theory) promote more careful shot placement, reduce wounding, promote being better prepared before going afield, and extend OTC opportunities even if only for a short time.

tdhanses

WKR
I agree with the many posts that OTC is on the way out. I believe it will start with rifle quickly followed by bow/muzzy as the herd moves that direction to hunt.

One compromise I’ve always thought may be effective is a round limit to hunting rifles much like waterfowl. Unprepared hunters with 6 300mag rounds can (and do) make mistakes as animals run. Additionally, animals on the move tend to group tighter which makes wounding after the first shot much more likely.

A limit of 2 rounds per rifle could (in theory) promote more careful shot placement, reduce wounding, promote being better prepared before going afield, and extend OTC opportunities even if only for a short time.
2 rds on your body or in the mag?

2 rds on your body or in the mag?
Total in the gun. (Backup rounds in pocket) 1 first shot and 1 follow up shot before requiring a reload.

Again it would be similar to the waterfowl regulations requiring the plug which limits 3 rounds in the gun.

While it isn’t a save for OTC tags it may extend the life of them for a while. 🤷‍♂️

One things for sure if we do nothing they will be gone for good.

Last edited:
You must not hunt much in grizz country.
By total I meant gun. First post edited to reflect.

If you think you’ll be able to get more than 2 shots off with your bolt action rifle it might be beneficial to look at accounts of griz attacks. Should change your mind.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
I made one of the nonresident comments that you are probably referring to. I have no real interest in doing away with nonresident hunting. I have friends and family that occasionally come hunt as nonresidents. I enjoy hunting as a nonresident myself on occasion. The problem that many of us have is when nonresidents start to express their desire to make decisions and policy within the boundaries of our respective states. Some believe that the cost of a license entitles them to something more than taking that specific game animal. A license, regardless of cost, does not entitle you to remove opportunity from residents to make your experience better or easier. Game animals are owned by the state regardless of where they are located, therefore the residents of that state are the only folks that should have any say on losing or creating opportunity.

I'll argue for nonresident rights, especially public land diy hunters. However, if you push hard enough, this will turn into resident vs nonresident.

Sled

WKR
By total I meant gun. First post edited to reflect.

If you think you’ll be able to get more than 2 shots off with your bolt action rifle it might be beneficial to look at accounts of griz attacks. Should change your mind.

I'm familiar with the stats. It still doesn't mean that I want to walk the woods with 2 rounds in my gun or rely on 🐻 spray and pray.

2 shot rules are a bit outlandish if you're trying to prevent game waste. Not to mention enforcement limitations and magazine alterations.

I'm familiar with the stats. It still doesn't mean that I want to walk the woods with 2 rounds in my gun or rely on 🐻 spray and pray.

2 shot rules are a bit outlandish if you're trying to prevent game waste. Not to mention enforcement limitations and magazine alterations.
I’m sure that’s what you tell the warden when he asks why you’re packing your rifle around during archery seasons. 😉

A bear safety complaint is probably the lamest argument I’ve heard so far.

And as for the spray and pray, I’d say that’s more commonly used on elk with high powered rifles by people who launch 8 rounds at a herd and assume they were all “clean misses” when there isn’t one laying on the hillside they ran across.

The OP asked for suggestions to save OTC tags and, while it’s clear you don’t like my idea for one reason or another, I still believe it would extend the life of the OTC. Best of luck to you.

I’m sure that’s what you tell the warden when he asks why you’re packing your rifle around during archery seasons. 😉

And as for the spray and pray, I’d say that’s more commonly used on elk with high powered rifles by people who launch 8 rounds at a herd and assume they were all “clean misses” when there isn’t one laying on the hillside they ran across.

The OP asked for suggestions to save OTC tags and, while it’s clear you don’t like my idea for one reason or another, I still believe it would extend the life of the OTC. Best of luck to you.
Limit archery hunters to a single arrow on their person. If you ask them, they’ll tell you that they are the elite SpecOps of the hunting world. At that level a hunter should only need a single projectile.

It’ll seriously cut back on the wounding of game and the wanton waste due to their “clean miss” hit that was actually too far back.

While it won’t fix the OTC “mess” it’ll extend the OTC life.

S.Clancy

WKR
I love the responses saying get rid of all the NR tags. Who's going to fund our game & fish departments when we do that? If that happened and resident tags cost $3,000 then there will be 100 new threads started on here bit**ing about the price increase.
In MT you would have to double tag prices (approximately) to replace NR revenue. Obviously this ignores the economic impact of NR hunters to our communities.

Sled

WKR

Nope, I'm carrying a g20. No need for a rifle. If you want to save the elk herds, move back east. Montana has enough hunters.

tdhanses

WKR
One of the easiest ways to keep and even expand otc tags is to sell all federal public land other then national parks, yes only the wealthy will benefit from this but anyone owning lands would be pretty have any tag they wanted to hunt their own land.

It’s easy to argue a state owns animals but in the end we all depend on a tag and access to land we can hunt. Take away all the public lands and tags will be easy to get.

WRO

WKR
I'd take quality opportunities every other year and give up otc..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I haven't bought an over the counter big game lic. in years. If I don't draw i don't go.

Reactions: WRO

Stalker69

WKR
One of the easiest ways to keep and even expand otc tags is to sell all federal public land other then national parks, yes only the wealthy will benefit from this but anyone owning lands would be pretty have any tag they wanted to hunt their own land.

It’s easy to argue a state owns animals but in the end we all depend on a tag and access to land we can hunt. Take away all the public lands and tags will be easy to get.
Like Texas, you have to lease land to be able to hunt for the most part. It sucks, hosestly !