What distances are E-bikes really needed?

Elite

WKR
So I am wanting to pick up a bike to access some areas that hiking in takes some time.

They are only 1-3miles in but I access them close to home so it gets time consuming hiking in and out.

I initially wanted a e bike but the price for a quality on is getting up there vs a quality traditional bike.

So does anyone regret not getting a e bike right off the start?

What are some specs I should be looking at for a bike? How wide of tires and how tall is needed?

The terrain is mostly old atv trails with some dead fall on them with some mud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly recommend! I used it every day for an elk hunt to go sit over a pond 3 miles from the road. Basically allows you to sleep in your own bed instead of camp to get to a lot of better spots. I got a bike with a handlebar throttle control so it takes zero effort to get there and you don’t stink the place up with your sweat when you arrive. Make sure you get the right wattage so you’re legal, it’s 750w to be equal to 1hp which allows you to use horse trails. A good mountain bike would be better than walking but the ease and comfort of a fat tire e-bike is worth it in my opinion when you’re loaded down with gear and meat.

Phaseolus

WKR
Keep in mind on many singletrack trails a throttle e bike is not allowed. Get yourself a quality brand name class 1 ebike. If the specs don’t say what brand the fork and components are run away, you’ll want to be able to have the fork serviced every couple of years, if it’s a no name brand that will be tough.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Keep in mind on many singletrack trails a throttle e bike is not allowed. Get yourself a quality brand name class 1 ebike. If the specs don’t say what brand the fork and components are run away, you’ll want to be able to have the fork serviced every couple of years, if it’s a no name brand that will be tough.

Thanks I’m in Canada and the non motorized areas don’t allow any e bikes at all. So this will be for areas with no restrictions at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Highly recommend! I used it every day for an elk hunt to go sit over a pond 3 miles from the road. Basically allows you to sleep in your own bed instead of camp to get to a lot of better spots. I got a bike with a handlebar throttle control so it takes zero effort to get there and you don’t stink the place up with your sweat when you arrive. Make sure you get the right wattage so you’re legal, it’s 750w to be equal to 1hp which allows you to use horse trails. A good mountain bike would be better than walking but the ease and comfort of a fat tire e-bike is worth it in my opinion when you’re loaded down with gear and meat.
You may be talking about some land that isn't national forest, but for all the people who see this and aren't aware of the difference in Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and National Forest administered lands, please note that on National Forest Administered lands (administered by the US dept. Agriculture), this is not true.

A non-motorized trail means no motor on National Forest land. Doesn't matter how big or small. So an e-bike on national forest can only go on trails designated as a motorcycle trail on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. On BLM grounds (administered by the US Dept. of Interior), they have different rules.

Lots and lots of people not from the west do not have the knowledge of distinction on this and it's very important that a thread like this spells it out.

idahodave

WKR
You may be talking about some land that isn't national forest, but for all the people who see this and aren't aware of the difference in Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and National Forest administered lands, please note that on National Forest Administered lands (administered by the US dept. Agriculture), this is not true.

A non-motorized trail means no motor on National Forest land. Doesn't matter how big or small. So an e-bike on national forest can only go on trails designated as a motorcycle trail on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. On BLM grounds (administered by the US Dept. of Interior), they have different rules.

Lots and lots of people not from the west do not have the knowledge of distinction on this and it's very important that a thread like this spells it out.

This. Plainly stated, e-bikes are ONLY allowed on “motorized” trails on USFS lands…regardless of wattage. Plan accordingly.

Dave

Rokbar

WKR
I like mine with the 3" tires. I have tried 4" and just too wide IMHO. Wider uses more power. Ebikes are a game changer, especially for us old folks.

Wow, move away from the mountains for two years and they change the rules on ya. Looks like they dropped the hammer on USFS land here in the states after a decade of letting it be a loophole. Up in your neck of the woods it looks like a nationwide limit of 500w unless otherwise stated by province, should be enough power for your ATV trails as long as it’s not too steep. The big downside of the e-bikes I’ve ridden is the reduced gear range vs a mountain bike, so when it’s steep or you run out of juice you don’t have those really low gears to fall back on.

idahodave

WKR
There was never a “loophole” on USFS lands. They have ALWAYS been considered as a motorized vehicle.

People (purchasers) have rationalized them as non-motorized since they first hit the street,…but I have a copy of a guidance memo somewhere at work classifying them as motorized approximately 15 years ago.

There was never a “loophole” on USFS lands. They have ALWAYS been considered as a motorized vehicle.

People (purchasers) have rationalized them as non-motorized since they first hit the street,…but I have a copy of a guidance memo somewhere at work classifying them as motorized approximately 15 years ago.
Didn’t realize this was such a contentious issue. I know horse people hated it though. If you can find that guidance memo I’d be interested in seeing where/how it was distributed and enforced. I clarified with the forest service and local wardens about them prior to purchase years ago and they either didn’t know what the rule was and weren’t going to issue tickets, or agreed that the 750w/1hp equivalent was allowed until new guidance was put out. It wasn’t a widespread rationalization of rule breaking, it was simply unclear for quite a while and the generally accepted rule was if a horse and/or bike was allowed then it was kosher. It may have been enforced differently in certain areas.

See “anticipated” guidance release from 04/2022 article:

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased one not realizing that they were classified as motorized. After 1 hunt, I realized I was hauling around a 3k paperweight that I couldnt use anywhere that a fourwheeler or dirtbike would go!

I did find that they were extremely useful if you could find a motorized road that hadn't been used in a long time. I was legal and was able to ride into some good country and be in critters just 5 minutes after hiking from the bike. The fact that they are so silent makes them very effective. I tried to ride up into some areas that were motorized and kept running into fourwheelers. It made no sense to me to try and compete on a noisy fourwheeler trail with an underpowered machine. I eventually sold mine, and purchased a fourwheeler. They have a very niche use. If you have the spare money and are comfortable hauling it around. They can be very useful in limited applications. If i had to do it over again, I would carry it around in my trailer or on the back of my truck and if I found an old unused road that was classified as motorized; id use it. Just another tool in the toolbelt, as far as im concerned; you will only be able to use it very few times. I think that the 3-5k could be MUCH better used elsewhere. I wouldnt spend that much coin on something I could use so minimally. Hope this helps.

idahodave

WKR
Didn’t realize this was such a contentious issue. I know horse people hated it though. If you can find that guidance memo I’d be interested in seeing where/how it was distributed and enforced. I clarified with the forest service and local wardens about them prior to purchase years ago and they either didn’t know what the rule was and weren’t going to issue tickets, or agreed that the 750w/1hp equivalent was allowed until new guidance was put out. It wasn’t a widespread rationalization of rule breaking, it was simply unclear for quite a while and the generally accepted rule was if a horse and/or bike was allowed then it was kosher. It may have been enforced differently in certain areas.

See “anticipated” guidance release from 04/2022 article:

There is nothing in that article that refutes any part of heat I have said. The only “new” thing is that the USFS MAY consider designating certain trails as open for e-bikes in the future. As it stands now (and since their release) is they are considered motorized vehicles by default…full stop.

I work with USFS daily on this particular topic here in Idaho, and I don’t know of a single USFS district currently even considering a single trail as “e-bike designated”…and it’s been two years since that was first put on the table as an option.

Again….they have always been illegal on USFS non-motorized routes. The fact that a random game warden didn’t know better doesn’t change that. I’m not saying it was the crime of the century. I’m just saying they have been illegal from the jump.

That may change in time…but anyone currently buying one to access trails on USFS lands is a fool imho. A motorcycle is far more capable, and will hold its value 10x better….all while allowing the same legal use.

WCB

WKR
I've used one to only go about 1-1.5miles across pasture with lots of draws and brush. I've hunted the same area and walked it in and out a bunch. Besides saving a 30 minute walk with late season clothing on or hauling it in a backpack, it also resulted in less deer being jumped/spooked. Deer bed anywhere and everywhere as it is a big 4mile x 15+mile string of hills so access is what it is = NO matter what you are going through "bedding".

It was quieter than walking, faster, and the deer I did "spook"...many just stood up and looked at me confused and walked off. When walking the got the hell out of dodge. Rode it right to the blind and stashed it in the same set of bushes.

In my neck of the woods they consider 750 watt and below non motorized and allowed on bike trails. Anything over that and you have to get a tag for it and use it in the same places as 4-wheeler etc. I do not know how that relates to BLM etc but that may be where the confusion came from.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
@idahodave is it true that you can use an e bike on a non motorized trail if it doesnt have a throttle and is a pedal assist only?

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I assume you’re trolling…but just in case it’s a genuine question….no you cannot.
Actually not trolling. It was a genuine question. I had purchased an ebike after some friends told me they were the cats meow... I quickly realized it wasnt legal and had buyers remorse. Glad I sold it.

idahodave

WKR
Actually not trolling. It was a genuine question. I had purchased an ebike after some friends told me they were the cats meow... I quickly realized it wasnt legal and had buyers remorse. Glad I sold it.

Good call. I like e-bikes and if the USFS ever changes their policy I’ll purchase one.

I should note that MOST cities/counties/states allow the use of e-bikes on their non-motorized trails,…which only adds to the confusion for most people. It’s also part of how people come to assume they are allowed on USFS non-motorized trails.

Dave