What did you do today to get ready for Elk season?

Gerbdog

WKR
Ran, lifted, shot my bow but... i do this year round so not that special of a day. Easier to stay in shape / bow form all year then it is to try and get it all done a month before season.

Will put in a bunch of miles scouting this weekend... hope the elk decided to hang around where i found them last time.

Scoot

WKR
Just like every day, I thought about elk hunting today. Putting the finishing touches on my pack and list of gear. I'll run and "do the hill" over lunch again today. I don't even have a tag this year, but I'll be a sherpa/bitch/helper for my buddy, who has a nice tag in NM.

Ran 5 miles yesterday...been limiting my lifting to legs 2x/wk, upper body 2x/wk incorporating more hiking and longer cardio sessions.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wasn’t today, but a couple weeks ago, me and the wife took a camping/backpacking trip up in Glacier National Park for our anniversary. I like doing stuff like that because it gives me a chance to test out most of my gear and see what needs replacing (sleeping pads, tent that the mouse chewed through , etc). It’s also a good check on my fitness. I mean i workout through the year but I live at sea level, so the thought of altitude sickness always lingers in my mind. Hasn’t happened yet but I am getting older lol

Jethro

WKR
Meeting hunting partner for a hike after work. We both hike all the time, but rarely get a chance together. Will be a nice change.

Got up, had a coffee and breakfast. Just had a beer, will eat dinner later, probably have a couple more. I make it a point to walk everywhere. Airport, walk instead of escalators. Walk instead of auto passenger walkways. Walk into the mountains fishing. Ride an old crappy mountain bike 40 miles a week when I can.

The key for me is I’ve been doing this for years and it works. The hardest thing for me during an elk hunt is waking up early. Big hills, rough country always sucks, but not as bad as morning 3 or 4, 6 or 7.

Staying active is the key. One look around the US and you can see the effects of being sedentary!

Mish-pop

FNG
Yesterday I took the dog to the local park and played some fetch. When she got tired and needed rest I used the playground equipment for some Calisthenics. Today it's jumping on trampoline for high intensity work and close range shooting with bow just for form. My mule deer bow hunt isnt till end of October and elk isn't till December. I'll do random workouts and add in more weighted pack marches here soon.

Lynnx13

FNG
I bought a bunch of gear I don't need.

I don't do any kind of work out to get ready.... that way when I don't kill anything I can say.... At least I got a good workout.

Dkugler76

FNG
Trained legs this morning, did 30 min of escouting and shot my bow. Counting down the days lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The hardest thing for me during an elk hunt is waking up early. Big hills, rough country always sucks, but not as bad as morning 3 or 4, 6 or 7.
I wake up anywhere from 0200-0500 every single morning year round and can't get back to sleep. I hate it. But it is what it is, so I deal with it. Pretty sure my body is telling me it only needs 4-5 hours of sleep, but then I'm super tired after getting up. (n)

Fullfan

WKR
Rucked 4.7 miles w 60 pounds, then spent the entire day walking around Gatlinburg Ten w the wife

Lifted, hit the elliptical with my old pack. Waiting for the sun to go down to swing the splitting maul on some firewood.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
This morning I practiced my cow calls (mouth reed and open reed) on my drive into town to work. On the way home I listened to a podcast with Paul Medel talking about hunting and calling strategies. When I got home I did today's MTNTough HP20 workout.