What did you do today to get ready for Elk season?

Yesterday I took the dog to the local park and played some fetch. When she got tired and needed rest I used the playground equipment for some Calisthenics. Today it's jumping on trampoline for high intensity work and close range shooting with bow just for form. My mule deer bow hunt isnt till end of October and elk isn't till December. I'll do random workouts and add in more weighted pack marches here soon.
Never tried shooting my bow on a trampoline.
Did my walk with weighted pack, shot my bow, added some charging mounts in my hunting rig for the phone and Inreach. Watched and read some from the Elknut App while practicing calling, After dinner if it cools down to the low 90's, I'll take another walk with the pack and dog. If it's too hot. I may skip the pack.

My apologies for my enthusiasm earlier about focusing on the other hunt I have. Today I did my version of a mountain tough workout. Lunges, squats, and side steps with 65lbs K4 Pack and 1/2 mile run - repeat x3. Shot the bow and picked out arrows/broadhead combos at 75 yards. Probably shouldn’t have had the three bourbons tonight but at least it was Old Elk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Simulated different field archery shots. Coming to full draw and sidestepping both left and right from behind tree and shooting target within 3 sec. Same action but from knees. Fun shooting and gets body tuned for those types of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading out tomorrow morning around 4 am to camp and scout this weekend. Excited and... maybe a little worry? Hunting a unit ive never hunted. Found elk earlier this summer but... doesnt mean anything for what ill find this time and what will be there in a couple weeks. There were some rubs form last year, sure, some could have been good size mule deer, there are moose in the area... could have been moose rubs too.... No idea what hunting pressure will look like... so many things to adapt to when it comes to hunting. Gotta be ready to change the plan to get the job done.

Follow up: Successful scouting trip, found a couple different groups of cows so... hopefully they stay around and the bulls follow. More hunters then i wanted to see out scouting in the area though too... so... we'll see what hunting pressure does to the area

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person. Working out 5 days a week, 2-4 mi run in the mornings following by a good lift. Then shooting bow and working on calling after work and dinner a few times a week when time allows. Head west in 26 days or so, coming quick!

Dead lifts with the hex bar. I also bought 2 more dehydrated meals. Shot my bow.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Don't take anything for granted.

Probably have missed a day or 2 of training in the last 4 months. Tuesday I started feeling these weird pulse currents in the legs and spine. Left work at noon and by 3pm found myself in the fetal postion wishing for death. Last night was the first I was able to drag myself back out to the range. Was out of breath shooting a couple arrows and walking to the target. Did 1 mile with the pack this morning, joints hurt, inflammation through the roof. This after running my personal best 5 mile time last Saturday morning.

Not sure what the deal was. Reminded me an awfull lot of the first time i got "covid" but less severe in duration. Trying to take a positive mindset that this happened now and not a day before I left.

Found a bunch of cows this morning. They rolled up right at 0700. Going to spend the day checking waypoints I plotted and find a glassing spot for the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing I have been doing every week since I got home from my last elk hunt...crossfit mon thru friday...5 miles 45# ruck on the weekend. It's too much work to get back into shape...so I just work on it year round.

Don't take anything for granted.

Probably have missed a day or 2 of training in the last 4 months. Tuesday I started feeling these weird pulse currents in the legs and spine. Left work at noon and by 3pm found myself in the fetal postion wishing for death. Last night was the first I was able to drag myself back out to the range. Was out of breath shooting a couple arrows and walking to the target. Did 1 mile with the pack this morning, joints hurt, inflammation through the roof. This after running my personal best 5 mile time last Saturday morning.

Not sure what the deal was. Reminded me an awfull lot of the first time i got "covid" but less severe in duration. Trying to take a positive mindset that this happened now and not a day before I left.
You should probably see a dr. Seriously.

A quick look at the calendar tells me I have two weeks left until opening day. I have been doing the normal things like shooting my bow and hiking with a weighted pack. Those I do pretty much year round.
Today I made a sitting pad with three layers of thick carpet pad that my lovely wife sewed a multcam cover for. It rolls up and goes into a side pocket of my pack. I also vacuum sealed some frozen dinners for camp.
Wondered what other people are doing as it might remind me of something to put on my list to do?
Worked out legs.

Elliptical and weights first thing in the morning. Blowing on elk diaphragm calls in the car during a work road trip and listening to cows and bugling elk on my car radio. Low calorie intake as I continue to work on dropping a few lbs before I hit the trail.

Back