What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

Macintosh

WKR
Fair, and that makes sense. I guess my only question then is how does someone know what they are capable of with their hunting rifle? Recoil is different from a 223 or rimfire practice gun, so how do you actually know what you can do with that gun? Its one thing to say you shoot it just as well, its quite another to prove it to yourself (and the assembled rokslide masses). Isnt a drill like this valuable by itself for any hunter, in addition to merely “settling an argument”? I personally have been using this drill occasionally this year, and have found it to be really good both as practice but also as a diagnostic tool since being “standardized” it allows me to track performance and progress.

I guess my only question then is how does someone know what they are capable of with their hunting rifle?
I guess the best answer is that they don’t know what they’re capable of. But most hunting rifles are more similar than different and most hunters are so much less capable Than their rifles that it’s a moot point. At the least that’s my opinion.

I can only speak for myself but if I burn 50 rounds off .22 LR at 50m, then 100 rounds of .223 from 100-300m, and then shoot 10 rounds from my 6.5x55 at 300, I’m going to feel very confident within my 300m self-imposed limit, even though I only shot 10 rounds at that distance. (Assuming that those 10 rounds hit where I wanted).

If I then take my 45/70 and do nothing but confirm the zero, I still feel comfortable shooting it out to my limit for it (125 yards since it has open sights).

JGRaider

WKR
Better question would be what are people not gullible about. With regards to your post about how "proud" people are about how little they shoot (whatever that means), the vast majority of people do not associate their identity with how much they shoot a firearm. Priorities matter.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Better question would be what are people not gullible about. With regards to your post about how "proud" people are about how little they shoot (whatever that means), the vast majority of people do not associate their identity with how much they shoot a firearm. Priorities matter.
Best question would be, as my friends in Australia and the UK say, "what are you on about, mate?"

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
Heck no. My OCD and hatred of wasting ammo would never allow me to hang out for hours shooting cold bore shots. I'd drink a quart of liquor during that foolishness.

Just track your first shot of the day over multiple trips- same idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guide

WKR
The "average" American hunter shoots less than 40 rounds per year and many more shoot fewer than 20. The number that shoot 100 rounds a year from their hunting rifles has to be under 10% of all hunters. People will spend $5k on a new gun, new scope, new camo, new calls, and a new backpack but won't spend $500 on ammo and targets because they suck at shooting and it doesn't make them feel good to know that money can not buy the skills or the knowledge how to shoot. You only gain that through repeatedly practicing with proper techniques and gear that has been properly setup. People in general, don't shoot enough with their hunting gear to become proficient with their systems.

Jay

Big_wals

WKR
The "average" American hunter shoots less than 40 rounds per year and many more shoot fewer than 20. The number that shoot 100 rounds a year from their hunting rifles has to be under 10% of all hunters. People will spend $5k on a new gun, new scope, new camo, new calls, and a new backpack but won't spend $500 on ammo and targets because they suck at shooting and it doesn't make them feel good to know that money can not buy the skills or the knowledge how to shoot. You only gain that through repeatedly practicing with proper techniques and gear that has been properly setup. People in general, don't shoot enough with their hunting gear to become proficient with their systems.

Jay
I was going to say this after I got caught up, ya beat me to it. Some guys need to spend more money on ammo instead of buying boxer briefs in the same camo pattern as their boots.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
the vast majority of people do not associate their identity with how much they shoot a firearm. Priorities matter.

That has nothing to do with what is being discussed. One does not have to associate their identity with something, to not speak about it out of ignorance. If you lack legitimate knowledge, skill, and ability about a subject- ask questions, not argue your beliefs based on ignorance.

There is a very clear delineation-

Those who do not shoot and practice much, also generally post factually incorrect technical information about shooting and ballistics, and also generally share the common “fudd lore” belief systems about guns/ballistics/shooting.

Then, there are those who generally shoot and practice a lot, look for factual data driven technical information about shooting and ballistics, and they tend to lean to smaller cartridges and certain views.

It is common in modern culture, for people to speak very definitely about subjects that they know very little about (regardless of how long they have been doing the thing), but no where is that more evident than in shooting and guns.

eric1115

WKR
Fair, and that makes sense. I guess my only question then is how does someone know what they are capable of with their hunting rifle? Recoil is different from a 223 or rimfire practice gun, so how do you actually know what you can do with that gun? Its one thing to say you shoot it just as well, its quite another to prove it to yourself (and the assembled rokslide masses). Isnt a drill like this valuable by itself for any hunter, in addition to merely “settling an argument”? I personally have been using this drill occasionally this year, and have found it to be really good both as practice but also as a diagnostic tool since being “standardized” it allows me to track performance and progress.

In addition to that, I'd say a 10 round group is especially important for someone who only shoots say 40 rounds a year from a given rifle. Such a low round count will be much less likely to reveal issues in use that the 10 round group might show.

wyosam

WKR
In addition to that, I'd say a 10 round group is especially important for someone who only shoots say 40 rounds a year from a given rifle. Such a low round count will be much less likely to reveal issues in use that the 10 round group might show.

They probably shoot a 20 round group the weekend before hunting season starts. If 3 of those 20 can be covered by a pie plate at 100 yards, It’s good to go. The other 20 are at a game animal.

Sled

WKR
Actual serious question... Have you ever done, say, 5 separate 2 shot "groups" (or 10 cold bore shots) on the same target with a heavier recoiling rifle, and the same with a .223? 10 shots same POA tells a much more complete story than 3, and if you spread it out it really tells what you can expect under perfect conditions, best case scenario.

I've been doing something like this for years and even mentioned it here once. 2 shots and done. One cold bore and an immediate follow up to the same POA. I can take all the data from years of dope and gain a realistic field condition proofed expectation of mine and my rifles capability in a variety of conditions. I also spend less money and get more practice. After those two shots with my hunting rifle I switch to a bolt 223 and burn the barrel.

That method is as relatable to hunting as I can get. It's in the same mountains I hunt in and in the same conditions. Typical shots for practice are 400-800 yards. I'll shoot from different positions and finish with some off hand.

I should mention the off hand are closer. Usually about 100 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI

E.Shell

FNG
I'd make three points in favor of light-recoiling rifles:

1) As pointed out above, differences in recoil fade when prone and/or well supported. In hunting situations there are times when one must violate their NPOA and the heavier the recoil, the less flexibility one has with position before the gun is impossible to control well. Tree stands can present this sort of challenge when the game comes in exactly wrong. Being able to stay on target has the benefit of spotting the impact and staying with the animal to deliver a second shot if required.

2) Spotting impacts is important for knowing how to handle the hit animal, and to a much lesser degree; potential corrections. The trigger breaks and you call the shot 'good'. You see it plunk him in the lungs, you can stand down and starting packing your gear. If you see it land a little far back, as can happen with animal movement or faulty wind calls, you might want to give it a rest before following up.

3) Being able to stay on the animal, regardless (almost) of control issues (recoil, NPOA) or bullet impact position, lighter recoiling rifles provide the opportunity to watch where it went and how, as well as not mixing it up with its companions.

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
So, explain to me why so many benchrest shooters don't shoot large 30 caliber magnums? They buck the wind much better than the small caliber stuff those guys usually shoot.

Also, please educate me as to where energy has it's place since I obviously have a low IQ and very little experience.
A lot of bench rest shooters use the 300 wsm and the 7saum on high wind days.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say this after I got caught up, ya beat me to it. Some guys need to spend more money on ammo instead of buying boxer briefs in the same camo pattern as their boots.

but then how am I supposed to select my boxer briefs?

JGRaider

WKR
Always interesting how people are “proud” of how little they shoot and practice.

With regards to your post about how "proud" people are about how little they shoot (whatever that means), the vast majority of people do not associate their identity with how much they shoot a firearm. Priorities matter.
My response was in direct response to your quote above, not all that other crap you posted last.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
"It's the lungs and not the heart that pumps blood and the heart is a vortex that turns the blood into plasma." (Real thing I was told recently)

Big powder columns are better at disrupting the vortex I guess, or something like that. I wonder if a vortex scope helps? I must admit all this is rather out of my depth and I think it is time for me to go back to the kiddie pool because I'm starting to think the big kids piss in the water for fun.