What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Even with a smallish 7 mag I squeeze the trigger with enough confidence in placement and killing effectiveness that I don’t usually feel there’s a benefit to putting a second hole in what will be a most certainly dead elk or deer.

I’m just overly simple I guess. Shoot ‘em once kill ‘em once.
Please do yourself and elk a favor, and don't hunt them.

You're exactly right; however, I've shot deer with this approach (45 Colt cast SWC's at 800 fps), and while the bullets always exit, and the deer do die with double lung hits, blood trails are long and very sparse to nonexistent. In thick cover, it makes for tough recoveries.
I haven’t had an issue yet with blood trails but since I’m using a 45/70 I’m definitely on the high end of the wound diameter/bullet speed spectrum. My experience has been similar to or slightly better than the blood trails I see from 2-blade broadheads. Not great, but good enough. It’s definitely not how you’d want to hunt if you’re colorblind

JGRaider

WKR
If you've ever wondered why it is hard to take any post you make seriously, read this outloud. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
You, atmat, and a couple others with the perpetual redasss need to lighten up and learn how to take a light hearted, tongue in cheek post not so seriously.

Harvey_NW

WKR
You’re probably right - one well placed shot is a goofy way to hunt.
I was referencing hunting elk with an egotistical and borderline unethical mindset that "I'll only need to shoot it once". I don't care who you are, or what you're shooting, if you are proficient at getting shot opportunities at elk and you hunt with that mindset, you will absolutely end up with a wounded and most likely unrecovered animal.

I'm all about one well placed shot, but I've seen too many times where it looks "well placed", but didn't land exactly where it appeared, and the elk gets up and runs off when there was ample time to rack another round and shoot again. You do you.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You, atmat, and a couple others with the perpetual redasss need to lighten up and learn how to take a light hearted, tongue in cheek post not so seriously.
Cool. Honestly, based on some other posts, actually thought you were serious, because I typically see you rallying against the discussion topic. I don't have a problem calling out people who just create fires and conflict. Glad to be wrong. But will continue the call outs.

Was not tracking tire irons caused Rokslide's apparant shift to smaller cartridges, ha.

I actually started this thread because I only caught most of these discussions on the periphery; I wanted it squarely somewhere, where "why" was defined. It was a bit silly to think there wouldn't be a lot of discourse, as evidenced by 67 pages of "discussion." I'm happy to see some avoidance to group think - but I'm also seeing a lot of people going smaller and quite literally showing some proof of effectiveness. Since you are engaged, go ahead and hit me with why you personally think there was this shift?

TaperPin

WKR
I was referencing hunting elk with an egotistical and borderline unethical mindset that "I'll only need to shoot it once". I don't care who you are, or what you're shooting, if you are proficient at getting shot opportunities at elk and you hunt with that mindset, you will absolutely end up with a wounded and most likely unrecovered animal.

I'm all about one well placed shot, but I've seen too many times where it looks "well placed", but didn't land exactly where it appeared, and the elk gets up and runs off when there was ample time to rack another round and shoot again. You do you.
It’s worked quite well for me over the decades. The one shot mindset isn’t followed by hardly anyone anymore - many here talk of walking in their shots and big capacity magazines.

If someone doesn’t now their head from ass and can’t judge when a shot should be taken, then your best advice is to fill it full of holes and have an extra clip ready to go?

Last edited:

pilgrim7

FNG
It’s worked quite well for me over the decades. The one shot mindset isn’t followed by hardly anyone anymore - many here talks of walking in their shots and big capacity magazines.

If someone doesn’t now their head from ass and can’t judge when a shot should be taken, then your best advice is to fill it full of holes and have an extra clip ready to go?
I certainly haven't seen anyone on the 223 thread advocating for walking in their shots or the need for more magazine capacity. I doubt that many on here aren't hoping for a one shot kill, but it's strange to not want to be ready for a fast follow up.

Harvey_NW

WKR
It’s worked quite well for me over the decades. The one shot mindset isn’t followed by hardly anyone anymore - many here talks of walking in their shots and big capacity magazines.
I firmly disagree. The topic of this thread is shifting to smaller calibers, the general idea is to take advantage of modern advancements, use a high bc bullet that's known to deliver an effective wound channel, and be able to shoot it more accurately and comfortably with less recoil to stay on target and deliver another well placed follow up shot, because animals like elk are extremely tough. I have not seen any support of "walking shots in", or advocating for "big capacity magazines".

Apparently you're immune to things like adrenaline or "buck fever", elements like unobservable wind, animal taking a step at the break of the shot, etc. The ultimate goal is a clean, ethical kill. In many situations things don't go perfect, and that takes more than 1 shot.

TaperPin

WKR
I firmly disagree. The topic of this thread is shifting to smaller calibers, the general idea is to take advantage of modern advancements, use a high bc bullet that's known to deliver an effective wound channel, and be able to shoot it more accurately and comfortably with less recoil to stay on target and deliver another well placed follow up shot, because animals like elk are extremely tough. I have not seen any support of "walking shots in", or advocating for "big capacity magazines".

Apparently you're immune to things like adrenaline or "buck fever", elements like unobservable wind, animal taking a step at the break of the shot, etc. The ultimate goal is a clean, ethical kill. In many situations things don't go perfect, and that takes more than 1 shot.
The whole idea of having a spotter, or needing to accurately spot your shot is based on the underlying assumption that the odds of a quality first shot are low. Follow up shots adjusting after the first bad shot are the very definition of walking it in.

I do agree things can get really exciting when years of hard work come down to a single animal in range, but that doesn’t change how a shooter has to know what a doable shot is under those conditions and be able to pass on a questionable shot. If under the best conditions with the most time, the first shot missed, odds of follow up shots on a moving animal are low - very low. I’ve broke the trigger on an easy 200 yard shot and it was clearly a mis over the back and the animal went back to what it was doing - there was definitely something wrong and I didn’t shoot again.

TaperPin

WKR
I certainly haven't seen anyone on the 223 thread advocating for walking in their shots or the need for more magazine capacity. I doubt that many on here aren't hoping for a one shot kill, but it's strange to not want to be ready for a fast follow up.
I have nothing against preparing for a fast follow up - but if the first shot is good I don’t feel the need to keep putting holes in it.

fwafwow

WKR

I've not seen anyone either that talks about "walking in" shots or relying on "big capacity" magazines (and certainly not "clips"). The use of a spotter or spotting shots is, imho, the concept of planning for a fallback. Relying solely on one's ability to shoot perfectly the first time seems like hubris. And a miss over the back at 200 yards could just as easily been a miss to the guts, in which case a spotter or spotting one's own shots could have come in handy.

Are you bragging about a gut shot? Bullets are expensive but practice is cheap insurance.

Edit: I know you can shoot. Just busting your balls a little.
It was quartered to me at 414 yards. Placement was good, but the exit went out through the guts.

💯 on practice & training. I’ve got about 700 rounds down range in field conditions this year.

By the way.. my post was tongue in cheek.. my “insurance” is a 6 CM shooting 112 Match Burners.

The Guide

WKR
Maybe this entire thread can be answered by this one statement...

The cause of the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges has been brought about by bullet manufacturers building high performance bullets that allow for smaller caliber bullets to give wound channels equivalent to larger caliber bullets. These bullets allow you to use a lower recoiling rifle in a smaller cartridge to take game as effectively as hunters who use larger caliber bullet in cartridges with higher recoil. This change to smaller calibers and cartridges allows the shooter to stay in the scope longer with a clear sight picture which allows for more shots spotted by the shooter. Staying in the scope after the shot allows for the shooter to watch the animal's reaction to the shot and a faster follow up shots if needed. These smaller calibers and cartridges allow people who use them to be more efficient and effective on game when used with bullets optimized to provide wound channels equivalent to larger calibers and cartridges.

Pretty sure this fully answers the question.

Jay

Harvey_NW

WKR

The cause of the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges has been brought about by bullet manufacturers building high performance bullets that allow for smaller caliber bullets to give wound channels equivalent to larger caliber bullets. These bullets allow you to use a lower recoiling rifle in a smaller cartridge to take game as effectively as hunters who use larger caliber bullet in cartridges with higher recoil. This change to smaller calibers and cartridges allows the shooter to stay in the scope longer with a clear sight picture which allows for more shots spotted by the shooter. Staying in the scope after the shot allows for the shooter to watch the animal's reaction to the shot and a faster follow up shots if needed. These smaller calibers and cartridges allow people who use them to be more efficient and effective on game when used with bullets optimized to provide wound channels equivalent to larger calibers and cartridges.

Jay
very-good.gif

pilgrim7

FNG

Jay
Well put

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider

Jay
Ahhahahahahahahaha that’s some funny chit! Well done 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 😂😂😂😂

Big_wals

WKR

There is probably about 14 people on Rokslide that hunt with rifles using “clips”. And none of them are posting about their small calibers.