What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

gabenzeke

WKR
I keep seeing references to insurance that people get from larger calibers. Or smaller calibers only work with a perfect shot. How much insurance are people thinking they get? I'm shooting a 300 RUM right now until I finish building my 6mm, but the photos I'm seeing from the smaller calibers compared to what I see from my 300 RUM doesn't lead me to believe I'm gaining a whole lot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
I keep seeing references to insurance that people get from larger calibers. Or smaller calibers only work with a perfect shot. How much insurance are people thinking they get? I'm shooting a 300 RUM right now until I finish building my 6mm, but the photos I'm seeing from the smaller calibers compared to what I see from my 300 RUM doesn't lead me to believe I'm gaining a whole lot.

What ammo are you running in the RUM?

gabenzeke

WKR
Most folks around here use 180 gr accubonds in their RUMS. Not tremendous wound channels compared to splatter bullets.
Wouldn't "splatter bullets" as you call them provide more of the "insurance" people talk about? The eldx has always made it through to at least the offside hide for me. So penetration hasn't been a problem.

KenLee

WKR
Wouldn't "splatter bullets" as you call them provide more of the "insurance" people talk about? The eldx has always made it through to at least the offside hide for me. So penetration hasn't been a problem.

They do for me. I'm a self described half ass shooter.

gabenzeke

WKR
They do for me. I'm a self described half ass shooter.
Can you describe this though? Or define it? Based on all the necropsy photos in various small caliber threads, you still feel the fragmenting bullets in a 300 RUM is enough of an advantage to warrant the higher recoil, lower hit percentage, higher powder usage, etc over a smaller cartridge with fragmenting bullets?

KenLee

WKR
Can you describe this though? Or define it? Based on all the necropsy photos in various small caliber threads, you still feel the fragmenting bullets in a 300 RUM is enough of an advantage to warrant the higher recoil, lower hit percentage, higher powder usage, etc over a smaller cartridge with fragmenting bullets?

I haven't shot a RUM in many years.
300wsm with little 150 gr NBT is what I use more than any other lately.
Good fitting stock, great recoil pad and she's a pussycat.
I do use some 270, 7mm-08, 243, 6.5 creed, 6.5 Grendel, and 223 with splatter bullets.
Yes on a bad shot, I believe the fast 150 gr 300wsm gives some degree of "insurance". The recoil doesn't bother me and neither does an extra $1.50 a bullet when hunting.
I have over a dozen basically identical x-bolts I play with, so whatever I'm shooting is practice.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think I've heard

"I shoot a big caliber as well as a small caliber because recoil doesn't bother me..."
"I don't need to see my hit or make follow up shots because even if shot placement isn't perfect the big
cal gives more room for error. It only takes one..."

But I don't think I've heard

"because of that I only carry one bullet when hunting".

I wonder why that is?

KenLee

WKR
"But I don't think I've heard

"because of that I only carry one bullet when hunting".

I wonder why that is?"

Probably because they don't want to get into a bad habit because they do also tote smaller caliber rifles at times.

Doubles, yotes and pigs are also a good possibility around here.

Seriously what idiot carries one bullet on purpose? Not to say I haven't done it by accident.

gabenzeke

WKR
I haven't shot a RUM in many years.
300wsm with little 150 gr NBT is what I use more than any other lately.
Good fitting stock, great recoil pad and she's a pussycat.
I do use some 270, 7mm-08, 243, 6.5 creed, 6.5 Grendel, and 223 with splatter bullets.
Yes on a bad shot, I believe the fast 150 gr 300wsm gives some degree of "insurance". The recoil doesn't bother me and neither does an extra $1.50 a bullet when hunting.
I have over a dozen basically identical x-bolts I play with, so whatever I'm shooting is practice.
You didn't really answer the question though. What are you seeing from that 150 grain bullet compared to the 6mm or 223 thread photos, that convinced you that you're getting any amount of insurance? I'm shooting a larger cartridge than you and a bigger bullet and I don't think I'm seeing any additional damage. If I took a photo of the damage and put it next to those photos, I'd bet any amount of money you or anyone else claiming they get insurance wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

KenLee

WKR
You didn't really answer the question though. What are you seeing from that 150 grain bullet compared to the 6mm or 223 thread photos, that convinced you that you're getting any amount of insurance? I'm shooting a larger cartridge than you and a bigger bullet and I don't think I'm seeing any additional damage. If I took a photo of the damage and put it next to those photos, I'd bet any amount of money you or anyone else claiming they get insurance wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Because I've swapped back and forth between 300wsm 150gr NBT and slower and/or smaller rounds and seen the difference in tissue damage and difference in how far animals run with similar shots. Fairly large sample size as I usually kill at least 10 deer a year and take others to kill 40 or more. I'm definitely not saying the others I use don't kill. If I didn't have any faith in them, I'd never use them.
My son drops deer with 100gr 243 as well as I do with a 300wsm, but he's alot better shot than me. Difference between me and most hunters is that I'll admit to being a half ass shooter...on hair and paper.