What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
You're just as likely to get hit by a meteor as you are getting lead poisoning from an animal you harvested.
You’re probably right about acute lead poisoning and eating a game animal or 2 every year. I switched to copper after a NBT bltew up on a bulls ribs sending shrapnel through his lungs. The monos really did penetrate & break bones better. But when I saw the lead dispersed throughout the meat that I feed my family - I’ll never go back to lead.

wyosam

WKR
You’re probably right about acute lead poisoning and eating a game animal or 2 every year. I switched to copper after a NBT bltew up on a bulls ribs sending shrapnel through his lungs. The monos really did penetrate & break bones better. But when I saw the lead dispersed throughout the meat that I feed my family - I’ll never go back to lead.

This is pretty much the same rationale that drives my non lead choice. It is quite common among those I know in healthcare who hunt. I work with the Alaska native population, and it pains me to see how many still harvest game with lead based bullets- their culture doesn’t throw meat away, meaning a lot of blood shot meat ends up on the table, and we DO see the results of that in kids. That is a pretty extreme example, as most people will trim pretty aggressively. Most adults will never see “lead poisoning” from game meat, though they may have symptoms from long term exposure. Kids are the more acute risk. Everyone has their own risk tolerance, lead exposure to my kids in an easily avoidable way is not acceptable risk to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Here's some good data from the boys across the street...

I left a clue but guess what one is a 6arc from a 18" barrel with a 106 and guess what one is a 300wm from a 22" barrel with a 178.

Keep gripping those magnums tight boys.
Screenshot_20240109-083557_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240109-083643_Chrome.jpg

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The 30 cal probably didn't penetrate as deep as the 6mm due to increased frontal diameter and more drag?

eoperator

WKR
The 30 cal probably didn't penetrate as deep as the 6mm due to increased frontal diameter and more drag?
Thin jacketed lightish 178g .30cal bullet at higher velocity will fragment more resulting in less sectional density to penetrate.

6arc at lower velocity and a thick jacketed 106g bullet = less fragmentation and more sectional density to penetrate deeper

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Thin jacketed lightish 178g .30cal bullet at higher velocity will fragment more resulting in less sectional density to penetrate.

6arc at lower velocity and a thick jacketed 106g bullet = less fragmentation and more sectional density to penetrate deeper
How much thicker is the jacket on the 106gr eldm versus 178gr eldm?

It’s not only jacket thickness but impact velocity- the .300 is hitting a lot faster, shedding more weight, and penetrating less.
I think there’s also the factor that resistance (drag) increases logarithmically in relation to speed, so the faster round is effectively encountering much more resistance in the gel. That might just be advanced fudd-lore though

Wyo_hntr

WKR
So the 106 eldm has a thinner jacket?

I wonder how much more margine of error the 30cal gives based off the data? Surely it's massive, not an inch or two...

It’s not only jacket thickness but impact velocity- the .300 is hitting a lot faster, shedding more weight, and penetrating less.
I think there’s also the factor that resistance (drag) increases logarithmically in relation to speed, so the faster round is effectively encountering much more resistance in the gel. That might just be advanced fudd-lore though
Don’t forget frontal area is based on r^2.

eoperator

WKR

I wonder how much more margine of error the 30cal gives based off the data? Surely it's massive, not an inch or two...
108eldm you mean? Yes much thinner.

Larger bullets do make larger cavities but your odds of accurately shooting a heavy recoiling rifle within that extra "margin of error" are not great.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider

Larger bullets do make larger cavities but your odds of accurately shooting a heavy recoiling rifle within that extra "margin of error" are not great.
It's a 106 in this test.

Wyo_hntr

WKR

I was being sarcastic.

And I meant the 106. Not 108.

Fudds tend to miss by “an inch” when things don’t go right so I can see them taking that 8.5” max cavity and running with it 😂

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Fudds tend to miss by “an inch” when things don’t go right so I can see them taking that 8.5” max cavity and running with it 😂
The depth of the cavity is arguably more effective than the diameter in the case between these 2.

MThuntr

WKR
I have a 300WinMag (Rem 700 AWR no brake) that shoots pretty dang good. I can handle the recoil but I lose site of my target at the shot and it can be tough to recover quickly. Really that's the reason, I've started to downsize especially as I start shooting further (I'd still be considered a close range hunter in the realm). I think adding an improved stock design and spinning on a suppressor will help. There is something satisfying the impacts of a big 30cal over a smaller bullet though that's irrelevant to actual animal targets.

I have a 300WinMag (Rem 700 AWR no brake) that shoots pretty dang good. I can handle the recoil but I lose site of my target at the shot and it can be tough to recover quickly. Really that's the reason, I've started to downsize especially as I start shooting further (I'd still be considered a close range hunter in the realm). I think adding an improved stock design and spinning on a suppressor will help. There is something satisfying the impacts of a big 30cal over a smaller bullet though that's irrelevant to actual animal targets.
Wouldn’t argue with that. A 210gr Berger really smacks the steel at 1000 yards! It’s more of a *ping* with my various pea shooter cartridges

eoperator

WKR
The depth of the cavity is arguably more effective than the diameter in the case between these 2.
If you could see these 2 gel blocks split in 1/2 next to each other in person I have no doubt you would agree that the 178 caused much more permanent damage.

The lighter colored portions of the red dye are temporary "stretch", the dark colored portion is permanent "crush" cavity.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
If you could see these 2 gel blocks split in 1/2 next to each other in person I have no doubt you would agree that the 178 caused much more permanent damage.

The lighter colored portions of the red dye are temporary "stretch", the dark colored portion is permanent "crush" cavity.
Could be, I'm no ballistics expert. Either way I felt it was a interesting comparison.