What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Your energy equation? How does e=m*v^2 demonstrate killing?

Where are you getting this “younger” wants view, and younger than what?

The laws of physics can’t be changed. Noted. So what does that have to do with 30 cal vs other choices?
The question was margin of error the answer is more energy gives greater margin of error. A shot 4” too high or low with a larger faster bullet will kill faster than a smaller slower bullet. If you’re so convinced you are right please use a very small marginal cartridge for dangerous game as a demonstration.

Younger meaning hunters from the outdoor channel & hunting forum generation. The power of advertising is remarkable. The newest & latest must be best. In many cases it is much better modern optics, metallurgy & manufacturing as well as clothing & packs make a huge difference.

The 6.5 Creedmoor isn’t a revolutionary change vs the old 270 for hunting.

But by all means demonstrate your confidence- a 6mm shoul be perfect for a Grizzly ar cape Buffalo hunt.

JGRaider

WKR
The question was margin of error the answer is more energy gives greater margin of error. A shot 4” too high or low with a larger faster bullet will kill faster than a smaller slower bullet. If you’re so convinced you are right please use a very small marginal cartridge for dangerous game as a demonstration.

Younger meaning hunters from the outdoor channel & hunting forum generation. The power of advertising is remarkable. The newest & latest must be best. In many cases it is much better modern optics, metallurgy & manufacturing as well as clothing & packs make a huge difference.

But by all means demonstrate your confidence- a 6mm shoul be perfect for a Grizzly ar cape Buffalo hunt.
BS.

Shraggs

WKR
That’s your answer??? Stated very confidently with authority…

There are folks on this forum with your experience in each year of their hunting career. With dozens of calibers and hundreds of bullet typed from up close to over a thousand yards.

Your opinion might be enlightened if you stopped with the ultimate knowledge of fuddism and read…….

JGRaider

WKR
You're just as likely to get hit by a meteor as you are getting lead poisoning from an animal you harvested.

gabenzeke

WKR
It's funny how these people start with the margin of error or no replacement for displacement arguments and then make the exact same points every time. Seriously. ALL of this has been discussed ad nauseum. Much of it word for word. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so frequent.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I didn’t say I was right about anything. You referred to math, so I asked how your equation supports your position. I still don’t get it. Just by saying more energy is a greater margin of error doesn’t make it so, and it’s not math.
Are you hunting with these whipper snappers? Or just seeing young people who are on YT or other social media and assuming their audiences buy in to all of it?

Now you are projecting. You are confident but seem somewhat defensive when your position/hypothesis is questioned.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
That’s your answer??? Stated very confidently with authority…

There are folks on this forum with your experience in each year of their hunting career. With dozens of calibers and hundreds of bullet typed from up close to over a thousand yards.

Your opinion might be enlightened if you stopped with the ultimate knowledge of fuddism and read…….
There are folks on here who only kill deer in front of the automatic corn feeder or feed plot at 75 yards and guys who hike 15 miles days on end in rugged terrain. What is your point? You won’t convince me to use a 223 on deer even if it were legal in my state. I can shoot the 300 as well as a 243 for the number of shots on an elk hunt so I’ll stick with it for elk. The 243 is a fine deer cartridge I’ve got a couple of them, 25-06 will likely be next years deer rifle but won’t be even the back up on my elk hunt.

Shraggs

WKR
You don’t know Jack crap is the point. Judgement on your part to belittle how or where people kill isn’t not a valid argument for your beliefs.

Sled

WKR
It's funny how these people start with the margin of error or no replacement for displacement arguments and then make the exact same points every time. Seriously. ALL of this has been discussed ad nauseum. Much of it word for word. It'd be kind of funny if it weren't so frequent.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

New site rules...don't feed the trolls. Maybe we can all ignore the cycle before it begins.

Shraggs

WKR
New site rules...don't feed the trolls. Maybe we can all ignore the cycle before it begins.
Probably right.

It’s disappointing we get such disrespectful new members who aren’t capable of following a good thread topic. And participating accordingly.

If they disagree it should be a reason to start thread of their own instead we get blind narcissism

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t say I was right about anything. You referred to math, so I asked how your equation supports your position. I still don’t get it. Just by saying more energy is a greater margin of error doesn’t make it so, and it’s not math.

Are you hunting with these whipper snappers? Or just seeing young people who are on YT or other social media and assuming their audiences buy in to all of it?

Now you are projecting. You are confident but seem somewhat defensive when your position/hypothesis is questioned.
I am hunting elk with younger hunters trying to grow the sport & get younger hunters started on elk. The guys as old as me who still enjoy hiking the mountains are harder to find & can’t carry as much meat on as many trips.

In my limited experience They start with some assumptions they got from hunting shows. One 26 year old got so lean 14 hours into the days hunt he hit the wall & couldn’t haul out his own elk. Thought I was FOS about having a little fat reserve. We had 4 miles to the truck I carried his hindquarter he carried my rifle. But he killed his cow at 400 yards after starting with very poor shooting skills just a couple years before. Hard working sharp young man.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t know Jack crap is the point. Judgement on your part to belittle how or where people kill isn’t not a valid argument for your beliefs.
So you’re one of those corn feeder guys- it’s OK I’ve shot pigs in the head before butchering so I know that extreme challenge. Had a couple of buddies recently move to Texas & Tennessee they both have nice places for deer and have switched to 223’s off the porch. They harvest lots of deer these days - both open invitations but warned me it isn’t like real hunting. I’ll admit feeders, high fences, dozens of trail cams don’t float my boat - but you do you.

CC55

FNG
Moving back toward "what caused the shift to smallest caliber"...I think this test made it obvious to me that I don't shoot/spot big calibers as well as small ones, and no one I hunt with does either. I would love if I could shoot a big 30 or 338 as well as my smaller stuff, but under pressure/time and multiple shots I don't do as well.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you’re one of those corn feeder guys- it’s OK I’ve shot pigs in the head before butchering so I know that extreme challenge. Had a couple of buddies recently move to Texas & Tennessee they both have nice places for deer and have switched to 223’s off the porch. They harvest lots of deer these days - both open invitations but warned me it isn’t like real hunting. I’ll admit feeders, high fences, dozens of trail cams don’t float my boat - but you do you.
You need to take it down a notch or two

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited: