What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

mt100gr.

WKR
I have to wonder about people who are taking pictures of many wound channels and entrance/exit of many animals. It's almost like they are surprised or have something to prove. I bet you are in the minority if you've ever taken a picture of an entrance and exit wound.

Even more strange is asking someone to try to prove what's better by similar pictures. The truth is we aren't the animal in the picture and don't know what is better from the animal perspective. There is really no way to know, but video up close would be better if not even more graphic.
Some of us don't already know everything. Learning is fun when it's a topic of interest.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
3) Nobody is going to come on this forum and say I shot a [game animal] with an inadequate cartridge and it ran off wounded to die a slow, agonizing death. Every post on the various caliber threads will be a success story.

does it count when people come and say they "shot" a game animal with a 308 and it ran off.

jimh406

WKR
Some of us don't already know everything. Learning is fun when it's a topic of interest.
I was just pointing out that I don't think most people have pictures of their entrance/exit wounds. So, asking them for them doesn't really add much to the conversation.

Note: I'm not saying anything is wrong with taking the pictures, but I don't think most people take them or have them.

2) My critique was really pointed at a few people who seem to think everyone should sell their 243, 6.5CM, 308s in favor of a 223 because smaller is always a better.
whoa now. this is a forum on the internet with lots of talk of guns and hunting. no one is advocating selling guns because smaller is better. you ADD to your collection. if any of us have to sell our guns it's simply because there's no more room in the safe and the wife wont let us turn the entire basement into an armory.

there probably needs to be a rule if a thread hits 50 pages all responses have to be memes.

mt100gr.

WKR
I was just pointing out that I don't think most people have pictures of their entrance/exit wounds. So, asking them for them doesn't really add much to the conversation.

Note: I'm not saying anything is wrong with taking the pictures, but I don't think most people take them or have them.
I don't disagree. But in conversations specifically discussing wounding, using only words like "mush" and "soup" and "shredded" don't always tell the story.

I have 3 young daughters, two that currently hunt. Through these small cartridge threads and the evidence posted, I have them and myself 100% comfortable and confident putting good bullets on target with spectacular results that I honestly never imagined possible just a few years ago. The .223 thread has been on my watch list since the first post went up. I was deeply rooted in big cartridges and excessive horsepower. These conversations remind me of many i had with my peers in 6th grade - and there was one kid that got piled on for hunting with a .223 (although I think thats all that was available)...I take the pictures to further the available evidence and share the results so skeptics like I was can not only hear, but see.

I remind my girls that if they hunt long enough we will eventually be in a situation where a non-lethal first hit is our reality. I'll be posting pictures of that, too.

If anyone wants to doubt or criticize, I encourage them to bring evidence of smaller cartridges that weren't up to the task. Show me, don't tell me.

2-Stix

WKR
After a hard fast education on Rok and from FORM, and being stuck in CA I can tell you that I reviewed all my entrance and exit wounds and reviewed the wound channel on the Barnes monos this last season. Both blacktail went about 20-30 yards, 1 shot kills and were about a 1" wound channel. That has been the case on all the deer I have took. Monos suck for making damage. I was using 7RM and 308. Always a 1/2" entrance and 1.5" exit.

Here is my last buck this season...liver and lung shot with a 7RM at 217 yards full broadside.

IMG_5763.JPG

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
After a hard fast education on Rok and from FORM, and being stuck in CA I can tell you that I reviewed all my entrance and exit wounds and reviewed the wound channel on the Barnes monos this last season. Both blacktail went about 20-30 yards, 1 shot kills and were about a 1" wound channel. That has been the case on all the deer I have took. Monos suck for making damage. I was using 7RM and 308. Always a 1/2" entrance and 1.5" exit.

Here is my last buck this season...liver and lung shot with a 7RM at 217 yards full broadside.

View attachment 641074

Don’t lump all monos together. That’s like saying A TMK and a partition behave the same. Shoot better monos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoopleheader

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 641074
I’ve had good luck with Barnes TTSX.

With hits vitals the animals seem just as dead as anything else I’ve used. Most have been “bang flops” on chest shots, which tells me it doesn’t take a grenade to achieve that result.

Always showed good expansion, and quickly. Always exits, including gigantic holes if bone was hit on the way out. But they aren’t sending lead fragments everywhere, which seems to be the cup of tea here and is effective.

I have posted a separate thread on how people like them, or not, in smaller calibers as I am wanting to try something sub .277 for fun.

I think most of this is academic. I’ve seen poorly shot animals from big boomers run off, a couple deer somehow anchored by a gut shot, a 12 ga shotgun slug turn a hit on a scapula into a flesh wound when it blew up, and bullet supposedly designed for thin skinned whitetail (federal fusion) fail to expand.

As long as i get some consistent expansion and penetration at odd angles, I’m happy and the animals seem to die quickly.

Unckebob

WKR
does it count when people come and say they "shot" a game animal with a 308 and it ran off.

The guy who almost certainly missed is the support for your argument?

Nevertheless, I will agree that all cartridges can have some issues because animals are not gel blocks. That is why I want more margin for error, not less.

I’ve had very good results from ttsx’s of large caliber, I think there’s definitely something about a smaller caliber that can decrease a barnes bullet effectiveness. That said, the slowest kill I’ve made was a 300 grain swift A frame on a moose. Fastest kill: 130 gr ttsx from a 308 on an interior brown bear

Last edited:

2-Stix

WKR
Don’t lump all monos together. That’s like saying A TMK and a partition behave the same. Shoot better monos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a mono that will fragment or act like an ELDX or ELDM...I am all in on that? So far GMX, TSX, TTSX and LRX did the same pencil threw game.

Last edited:

2-Stix

WKR
I have been on monos for the last 4 years with every animal (6) dead within 20-30 yards. Good placement and they all die...I didnt say they dont. Look up Forms info on bullet construction. Monos create a smaller wound channel is all I am saying. I don't want a smaller wound channel.

Last edited:

2-Stix

WKR
That’s the point. So I get a “tougher” bullet for a magnum, artificially shrinking the damage created, to control the wound channel. Or, I could shoot a smaller cartridge with an optimized bullet, purposely maximize the damage, and “suffer” less recoil, less expense, see more during the shot, hit more, enjoy more and kill as fast.

I’m not into buying a V8 and then because it’s “too fast”, start ripping out spark plugs.
Form where is the info on bullet construction and why the Mono suck for creating wound channels beyond 1.5"? I cant find that info. Is it the shoot to hunt podCast? What is the best mono to shoot?

I am stuck with monos and confirm the 1-1.5" wound channel and how I much I hate them.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Form where is the info on bullet construction and why the Mono suck for creating wound channels beyond 1.5"? I cant find that info. Is it the shoot to hunt podCast? What is the best mono to shoot?

I am stuck with monos and confirm the 1-1.5" wound channel and how I much I hate them.

BjornF16

WKR

I’ve heard/seen Form recommend DRT bullets.

On podcast #47, Blaine talked about McGuire Ballistics bullets with legit high BC numbers

I don't think there's any argument against monos creating narrower wound channels. However, that mono bullet's narrower channel will extend deeper, which might be a good thing for larger animals. I only know from my experiences that a ttsx kills fast from a 308 win, 338 win mag, or 375 ruger. Pulminary soup and very little meat damage.

Now, if I were only hunting deer species up to the size of elk, and on open landscapes, sure I wouldn't necessarily want a larger caliber nor a bullet with a G1 BC of less than 0.5. But there are plenty of hunters' situations that aren't and a mono bullet might be a great tool for the job.

gerry35

WKR
I have been on monos for the last 4 years with every animal (6) dead within 20-30 yards. Good placement and they all die...I didnt say they dont. Look up Forms info on bullet construction. Monos create a smaller wound channel is all I am saying. I don't want a smaller wound channel.
You might not want to use them but it does sound like they are working well for you. Probably less meat damage too.