What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I don't doubt that but how much does that matter as opposed to the actual wound channel?
Seems to my puny brain that it's similar to comparing someone getting punched in the chest by Mike Tyson to them having a mini-grenade implanted in their boiler room with a hypodermic needle.

It'd be much more spectacular and entertaining to watch the guy get punched but he wouldn't be any deader.

Bluefish

WKR
According to the Hornady guys, the most damage they saw in a gel block was a 410g subx 45-70 loaded to full power Ruger #1.
I would argue that you use a soft expanding bullet that dumps all its energy in the first 12” from a 300 win mag, there might not be much left of a white tail. The difference is you can use a harder bullet and still get a sufficient wound channel and more penetration. While on smaller game the penetration has no bearing, if it gets big enough it might matter.

Thegman

WKR
I see he had to move his daughters up to a 7-08 from a 260 which would also mean the CM would have been too light.
OKAY, whatever.
I do believe part of these gun writers' missions are to sell more rifles.
Yeah, divining the difference in killing performance between those two would take a lot of data, and there wouldn't likely be much once found. Sounds more to me like he's seeing what he thinks he should see.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
From the article “Both my daughters took their first game with .260s. I gave up on it because in the rifles I was messing with, I wasn’t getting the accuracy I wanted.”

Nothing about killing power being the issue….

eoperator

WKR
I don't doubt that but how much does that matter as opposed to the actual wound channel?

Keyboard commandos in the past have told me volume of wound channel is irrelevant, can't seem to wrap my thick norwegian skull around that so do as you please with this.

Do not crucify me on my estimated cavity dimensions, insert whatever dimensions you want.

77tmk 4"x6" cylinder = 75cubic in
225eldm 8"x9" cylinder = 450cubic in

Hornady law enforcement site has a bunch of official gel tests posted if you would like to see yourself.

gabenzeke

WKR
That may be true, I just don’t know enough about it and don’t pay much attention. To sell a 300 mag all a guy needs to do is shoot it next to a small caliber. The small gun makes it giggle and there’s a little temp cavity and little permanent cavity - the 300 makes a gigantic cavity and the block jumps off the deck and does a double back flip. Lol
#science

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I made several giant 80lb blocks of gel last year, Taperpin's description of gel blocks doing double back flips from larger calibers is correct. 223 would not move my block at all, 6cm maybe ~1/2"-1" , 6.5 would move/turn it ~2-4", 7mm 180eldm would move the block 6-8" turning it 1/4 turn , 300mag 225eldm damn near flipped the block over and busted the 2.5' square of 3/4" plywood under it in half. There is a huge difference in gel block reaction between 223 and 300mag.

Good thing I’m not trying to kill 80lb blocks of gel, then.

P

TaperPin

WKR
I made several giant 80lb blocks of gel last year, Taperpin's description of gel blocks doing double back flips from larger calibers is correct. 223 would not move my block at all, 6cm maybe ~1/2"-1" , 6.5 would move/turn it ~2-4", 7mm 180eldm would move the block 6-8" turning it 1/4 turn , 300mag 225eldm damn near flipped the block over and busted the 2.5' square of 3/4" plywood under it in half. There is a huge difference in gel block reaction between 223 and 300mag.
I’m not going to lie, watching the target flip flop around was pretty fun - worth owning a block just to mess with! Lol

TaperPin

WKR
Good thing I’m not trying to kill 80lb blocks of gel, then.

P
When someone secretly slips me LSD at a party and I see a giant Jell-O shot coming to get me, rest assured I’ll quietly ask everyone there if they have a 300 mag on them they can lend me. Lol

Wyo_hntr

WKR
That may be true, I just don’t know enough about it and don’t pay much attention.
Perhaps you should go listen to the shoot2hunt podcast and/or read about fbi 10% organic ballistic gelatin testing protocol. You might come away with an understanding as to why the tests are relevant.

TaperPin

WKR
Perhaps you should go listen to the shoot2hunt podcast and/or read about fbi 10% organic ballistic gelatin testing protocol. You might come away with an understanding as to why the tests are relevant.

If I ever have a YouTube, shooting a giant Jell-O shot made in a Rubbermaid tote will be the opening scene of every show.

Other than that it’s hard for me to get into it for some reason - it feels like reading a chemistry textbook to listen to guys drone on and on about it. I’m just too ADHD. 🙂

Wyo_hntr

WKR
If I ever have a YouTube, shooting a giant Jell-O shot made in a Rubbermaid tote will be the opening scene of every show.

Other than that it’s hard for me to get into it for some reason - it feels like reading a chemistry textbook to listen to guys drone on and on about it. I’m just too ADHD. 🙂
Yes learning can be difficult

jimh406

WKR
I would argue that you use a soft expanding bullet that dumps all its energy in the first 12” from a 300 win mag, there might not be much left of a white tail.
In my experience fast expanding just blows out a large chunk of ribs and meat if you hit the ribs only, but I haven't tried what you night call super soft with a Nosler Partition 180 being the softest I usually use in a 300 Mag.

Based on the pictures in the 223 thread, even a 223 destroys the meat in the shoulders if you hit there. I don't think it would be much different no matter which caliber it was if you use the same type bullet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't think it would be much different no matter which caliber it was if you use the same type bullet.

?

It is massively different.

This is the same “type” of bullet as most tipped match bullets, but optimized for a 300 mag, is this what you want?

IMG_2149.jpeg

Or this?
IMG_4599.jpeg

Or this?

IMG_2150.jpeg

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Of course, I'm not advocating poor shot placement at close range with any type of bullet and certainly not target bullets. Are you?

You are trying too hard. ;)
I think he was actually stating a sort of agreement with you - bigger calibers offer more wounding.

It is worth considering bad shots simply because they get taken/made - often. I know it's the internet and everyone here places every shot perfectly, but sometimes people throw in a little real life by mistake. ;-)

I‘m sure it’s interesting, I’m just happy with my current bullet choice.
Is this "I agree smaller chamberings with heavy match bullets work great, but I'm happy with my boomers anyway."
Or are you saying you think big magnums are somehow necessary?

To sell a 300 mag all a guy needs to do is shoot it next to a small caliber. The small gun makes it giggle and there’s a little temp cavity and little permanent cavity - the 300 makes a gigantic cavity and the block jumps off the deck and does a double back flip. Lol
It's definitely fun to watch big target reactions.

Do you think there's a correlation between a gel block doing a double back flip and the brain being deprived of oxygen?