What caused the Rokslide shift to smallest caliber and cartridges?

jimh406

WKR
-"Here's a mountain of elk that were killed with 300 to 600 ft-lbs of bullets"
"Those guys were lucky"
Might or might not have been. You have to wonder how many clean misses weren't misses at all. Most of us have seen animals hit that didn't react until they fell over. That's nothing unique to small calibers.

fwafwow

WKR
Maybe if he claimed to have killed thousands himself. But he didn’t.
Suck it! (Perhaps my first - it's been on my "to do" list.)

Apologies - to @JGRaider, and all. If I say "no one but you cares" - obviously that's hypocritical in my posting it. My posts aren't contributing anything substantive to the discussion. I am incredibly good at that. I let the internet get the best of me.

wyosam

WKR
Might or might not have been. You have to wonder how many clean misses weren't misses at all. Most of us have seen animals hit that didn't react until they fell over. That's nothing unique to small calibers.

The “clean misses” are almost certainly over reported. That goes across the board before the small caliber folks get their panties in a bunch. Now this is of course anecdotal, but in the sampling of hunters I’ve observed over the last 4 decades (both people I was with, but a larger number of strangers whom I’ve watched shoot at game from across canyon etc). Waaaaay too many people don’t see the game fall, and either don’t go look at all, or take a quick peak for obvious blood and give up. This was the point of an earlier post that seemed to irritate a few for reasons I don’t really understand. People are crack shots that never miss their target, until it doesn’t fall over. Then not only did they miss the vitals, but they missed by such a large margin that the animal is surely off living its best life somewhere. It’s always been something that pisses me off, and I’ve lost quite a few hunting partners over it, including family. I’ve also eaten some tags after wounding and losing myself, and I’ve eaten more than a few animals initially shot by others who didn’t care enough to do the hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thick jacketed .50 cal muzzleloader bullets not driven fast enough or at long distance are notorious for this. Limited if any animal reaction and paltry to non-existent blood trails.

For those who’ve gone to a smaller caliber, are you also shooting suppressed?

This was my first year hunting with a suppressor on a 30 cal. It made shooting much more enjoyable with the lower recoil and concussion. I’ve read the threads and know the smaller (proper) bullets are effective, but with my suppressor I feel my shooting has greatly improved and I can spot shots with my 308, though there’s still an impulse.

I’d imagine a smaller caliber with a can has the double benefit and would be silly little recoil. Or are most people taking the smaller caliber benefits and not also using a can because it already has such little recoil?

jimh406

WKR
These threads make me want to take up archery, but I’m sure there will be a “show me your slingshot kills” thread topping 1k posts by the time I get there.
No, it will be a 100 yd shot with a 50 lb bow and expanding 100 gr broad head over there. Slingshots aren't allowed.

I'm just wondering why the air rifle crowd hasn't posted on this thread yet.

If you’re comfortable hunting with a .223, do it.

If you’re not comfortable hunting with a .223, don’t do it.

But don’t tell the guy who is comfortable hunting with a .223 not to do it. There’s simply too much data on the effectiveness of the right bullet in the right place from a .223.

IMG_2232.jpeg

I used to hunt with a 300 Wby Mag because I thought I needed to. I don’t anymore.

I don’t fit into those pants anymore, either.

P

mt100gr.

WKR
For those who’ve gone to a smaller caliber, are you also shooting suppressed?

This was my first year hunting with a suppressor on a 30 cal. It made shooting much more enjoyable with the lower recoil and concussion. I’ve read the threads and know the smaller (proper) bullets are effective, but with my suppressor I feel my shooting has greatly improved and I can spot shots with my 308, though there’s still an impulse.

I’d imagine a smaller caliber with a can has the double benefit and would be silly little recoil. Or are most people taking the smaller caliber benefits and not also using a can because it already has such little recoil?
100% WITH a suppressor!

The only thing better than seeing the impact is hearing every single impact - it never gets old!! It feels like cheating when you can have such a tiny presence and be so deadly.

Tmac

WKR
Suck it! (Perhaps my first - it's been on my "to do" list.)

Apologies - to @JGRaider, and all. If I say "no one but you cares" - obviously that's hypocritical in my posting it. My posts aren't contributing anything substantive to the discussion. I am incredibly good at that. I let the internet get the best of me.
But you got to say “Suck it!” to yourself. Epic!

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
oh, boy.

I dare you to say "flier" too.

;)
I never discount any round. If it is off the mark it still counts. When I say I "feel" it will give me the performance I want...It's because for me I believe the performance I want might come from a bigger case and a bigger bullet....'merica

I really don't care what people use. I know a lot suck at shooting, tracking, and finding their wounded game. I found 3 carcasses of unrecovered elk this year alone in 8 days....

Hope that doesn't hurt your "feelings".....;)

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I never discount any round. If it is off the mark it still counts. When I say I "feel" it will give me the performance I want...It's because for me I believe the performance I want might come from a bigger case and a bigger bullet....'merica

I really don't care what people use. I know a lot suck at shooting, tracking, and finding their wounded game. I found 3 carcasses of unrecovered elk this year alone in 8 days....

Hope that doesn't hurt your "feelings".....;)
Feelings are irrelevant when it comes to actual cartridge/bullet performance.

CorbLand

WKR
If you’re comfortable hunting with a .223, do it.

If you’re not comfortable hunting with a .223, don’t do it.

But don’t tell the guy who is comfortable hunting with a .223 not to do it. There’s simply too much data on the effectiveness of the right bullet in the right place from a .223.

View attachment 636883

I used to hunt with a 300 Wby Mag because I thought I needed to. I don’t anymore.

I don’t fit into those pants anymore, either.

P
I would have given the 300 bee up to. Damn thing blew the body clean off.

Ok, lame joke. I will go back to watching from a distance.