What cartridge should I use?

What would you take for a walk-in Wyoming deer/antelope hunt?

• Lightweight: 6mm ARC NULA bolt-action, 20-inch barrel, not threaded, no suppressor

• Lightish weight: R700 Ti integrally-suppressed .22 Creedmoor with SWS barrel (14 inches of rifling)

• Moderate weight: Zermatt TL3 w/ 20-inch PROOF carbon barrel in .22 Creedmoor w/ suppressor

• Moderate weight: Rokslide Special Tikka .223 with 17-inch barrel

Results are only viewable after voting.

TaperPin

WKR
The trigger gets a bad rap from guys that don’t clean and lightly oil, and those that play weekend gunsmith and reduce the trigger pull.

I laugh at the reports from dusty prs matches of the Remington triggers going down, because every one of those factory triggers has been messed with, and if guys aren’t cleaning their barrels you know damn well they aren’t cleaning anything else, so double whammy.

I’ll gladly pay scrap price for any model 700 you folks think is junk. Lol

It’s the funniest conspiracy theory of my lifetime - created by lawyers for lawyers. Gunsmiths and gun nuts who work on and shoot this rifle constantly didn’t complain about the trigger - but everyone believes the ambulance chaser lawyers that chose this to make money on.

No, those triggers are also susceptible. All except the giessele super 700, which is extremely hard to find.
Do you have any info to link for this statement that relates to any of the aftermarket triggers beside the Remington factory trigger issues which are widely known. You are basically suggesting that every R700 style trigger (including aftermarket) is possibly defective. Always looking to learn something new so genuinely curious. I don’t have as much experience as some on this forum but my buddies that I worked with and I do have plenty of time on the 700 platform and it’s associated type triggers of various brands without seeing what your speaking of out of aftermarket triggers.

Look into the floating connector of the walker trigger, there are lots of good resources, I've posted links to a couple over the years. Remington has lost multiple law suits over the design and done multiple recalls. Sadly, people have died too. Bottom line, the gun can fire when the safety is clicked off, and there is no way you can every tell if or when that will happen. Any type of ice or debris makes it more likely.
Fair enough. I have heard of the lawsuits and recalls. I run aftermarket triggers in mine. I’m not saying they can’t fail by any means, but curious what your experience has been with failure.

Sorry OP. Enough derailment. I voted Zermatt.

TaperPin

WKR
Rather than believing biased reporting on 60 minutes or from a lawyer, or anyone here, read the back stories to the situations when the people were killed that talks about how rifles were tested after the fact, and how much of the case is based on the word of the person who was involved in the shooting who has a giant incentive to blame the safety rather than inexperienced fingers on triggers where they shouldn’t be.

It makes my blood pressure go up that there’s not an outrage over the gun handler keeping it pointed in a safe direction. At least the 15 year old that shot the 11 year old and blamed the trigger got 10 years - the jury didn’t buy the trigger excuse. When a kid’s mom is unloading her young son’s 243 and it goes off, I’m pretty sure there’s more to that story that we’ll never know - my mom and most moms I grew up with were around guns their entire lives, but I wouldn’t trust any of them to point a gun in my direction and unload it. We understand how bullets ricochet off steel - when a kid is killed by a ricochet the gun was definitely pointed in his direction.

I feel better ranting a little. Carry on.

Do you have any info to link for this statement that relates to any of the aftermarket triggers beside the Remington factory trigger issues which are widely known. You are basically suggesting that every R700 style trigger (including aftermarket) is possibly defective. Always looking to learn something new so genuinely curious. I don’t have as much experience as some on this forum but my buddies that I worked with and I do have plenty of time on the 700 platform and it’s associated type triggers of various brands without seeing what your speaking of out of aftermarket triggers.

Look for forms snow and ice testing thread, and the thread asking about who's had in the field failures, which had a bunch of r700 trigger malfunctions reported.

I sold all my 700s, and strongly prefer not hunting with people who are using them because of the trigger situation.

TaperPin

WKR
Look for forms snow and ice testing thread, and the thread asking about who's had in the field failures, which had a bunch of r700 trigger malfunctions reported.

I sold all my 700s, and strongly prefer not hunting with people who are using them because of the trigger situation.
His failures are full of fluff as well - just because it’s repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over does’t give it more credibility. He still talks schitt about Remington triggers that don’t have the floating connector.

I’m glad you sold your Remingtons. Sorry they touched you there.

The Guide

WKR
His failures are full of fluff as well - just because it’s repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over does’t give it more credibility. He still talks schitt about Remington triggers that don’t have the floating connector.

I’m glad you sold your Remingtons. Sorry they touched you there.
1000003332.png

Sorry Form's words touched you there.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
What would you carry? All loads will be Hornady Match ammo in 6mm ARC and .22 Creed and 77 TMKs from Black Hills in the .223. I'm conflicted....
Just choose the one you enjoy carrying the most. They all will have similar terminal ranges and will all kill a deer or antelope if you can shoot well. Not sure if you plan to road hunt, spot and stock, or hike in overnight or longer. It all depends on the way you hunt. Choose one and don't over complicate things.

Jay

Drenalin

WKR.
I didn’t have to. The trigger on my buddy’s 700 failed for the first time a few weeks ago, in my hands. Sunny and hot, not a weather issue. No work had been done on it. No one was hurt. Rifle hasn’t been loaded since then, but now it consistently fires when the safety is disengaged.

I didn’t have to. The trigger on my buddy’s 700 failed for the first time a few weeks ago, in my hands. Sunny and hot, not a weather issue. No work had been done on it. No one was hurt. Rifle hasn’t been loaded since then, but now it consistently fires when the safety is disengaged.
What brand of trigger? If it was a factory trigger that’s unfortunately not uncommon and not what I was asking the other guy to clarify. No one disagrees factory Rem triggers are susceptible to the described malfunction. He stated even all aftermarket triggers (except one very specific model) are as well. Glad no one was hurt.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR.
What brand of trigger? If it was a factory trigger that’s unfortunately not uncommon and not what I was asking the other guy to clarify. No one disagrees factory Rem triggers are susceptible to the described malfunction. He stated even all aftermarket triggers (except one very specific model) are as well. Glad no one was hurt.
I missed that, it was a factory trigger.

magtech

WKR
Whatever feels the best when you shoot it. And shoots the best for you. 22cm and 6 cm are a wash. Id pick whatever rifle i can pick up and shoot the best/easiest.

If you still dont know. Pick the one that has been the longest since its killed an animal. If thats a wash pick the one with the least kills.

You do you

OP
StupidLightweight
After reading the responses above, I now realize that every trigger made since 1743 may malfunction, so I’ve surrendered my tags to the state of Wyoming and sold all my guns. It’s just not worth the risk.

Instead of hunting, I’ll now be crocheting blaze orange vests for wild horses to wear during the fall months. Thank you for saving my life.

For posterity/ people reading this thread in the future who are looking for information and capable of learning from others experiences. Not trying to change the mind of anyone who has participated thus far.

Google: (name of aftermarket trigger company you like) slamfire