What blades steels are you serious hunter/butchers using?

BAvila

FNG
I think the type of steel and how the knife will be used is going to dictate the steel choice.

For me, even though I started making knives out of high carbon, non stainless steels like O-1 and 1095, I have moved towards stainless. I like my knives out of CTS-XHP and M390. AEB-L works great but like some people have said there are no carbides so it takes more sharpening in the field.

A problem with using some of the fancier steels like XHP and M390 is that they work awesome at high hardness. So if you are in the field and have to sharpen your knife, it will take a diamond stone. If the knife was made right, has the correct geometry and heat treat, you can get through a few elk/ deer without sharpening it.

So keep a few knives in the pack just so I don't have to sharpen anything, if sharpening is needed.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like a steel that will get through an animal and I can get back to shaving easy at home. On the low end aus-8 does that for me. I have been interested in a harder steel but never saw the right knife that caused me to buy (I like drop point folders that are liner lock with an open spine to easily clean).

OP
Pierrebuiltknives

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I think the type of steel and how the knife will be used is going to dictate the steel choice.

For me, even though I started making knives out of high carbon, non stainless steels like O-1 and 1095, I have moved towards stainless. I like my knives out of CTS-XHP and M390. AEB-L works great but like some people have said there are no carbides so it takes more sharpening in the field.

A problem with using some of the fancier steels like XHP and M390 is that they work awesome at high hardness. So if you are in the field and have to sharpen your knife, it will take a diamond stone. If the knife was made right, has the correct geometry and heat treat, you can get through a few elk/ deer without sharpening it.

So keep a few knives in the pack just so I don't have to sharpen anything, if sharpening is needed.
Ya that was me. I did not like m390 but I personally love elmax. Ya I made a couple knives in aebl and it get so sharp I cant cut arm hairs because it starts lifting skin. Personally I am a CPM3V zwear type person so I tend to like tough steels with a sprinkling of vanadium carbides.
I was curious which end of the apectrum people gravitated to.

i guarantee if i asked the guys at my meat processing place what steel is in the knives they use to breakdown hundreds of deer a season they would not have clue. the only thing i've ever seen them use is a white handled boning knife with about a 6" blade. i think dexter russell makes them and you can buy one for about $15.

Retterath

WKR
if I skipped over this and this was already said sorry. I have kitchen knives with a steel that I got from my parents for Christmas 5 years ago and they just don't seem very good or hold an edge. What knife or knives should I get for the kitchen and what steel to get for sharpening? I will be using these knives for everything including cutting up deer, elk and antelope. Not off the bone just cubing or cutting up into fajita strips

Sickforit

FNG
Pretty hard to beat Dozier's d2 IMO. Done probably 30 species with them, and while I own tons of handmade blades, they are definitely my favorite. $.02

Beendare

WKR
i guarantee if i asked the guys at my meat processing place what steel is in the knives they use to breakdown hundreds of deer a season they would not have clue. the only thing i've ever seen them use is a white handled boning knife with about a 6" blade. i think dexter russell makes them and you can buy one for about $15.

True ^^^^

My butcher buddy has a bad azz electric sharpener right there....and he steels his knives a lot on a big long [heavy] steel. I don't want to deal with a lot of sharpening in the field.

I want my knife steel to hold an edge in the field through a couple animals...the very good knife steels will do that.