What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
^^^ That's why 50% of Americans have zero faith in anything government.
"Okay, spring harvest is in, we have plenty of food to feed the country. Now we can do a much more expansive shutdown."

What gets harvested in the spring exactly (asparagus)? The fall is when most season crops I am familiar with are harvested. Yet another downside from the average American having been totally disconnected from where their food comes from.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Well, wheat is one of the main crops for human consumption and it gets cut in spring.....

jmez

WKR
Depends on location. They just started cutting wheat here. Usually start right after 4th of July in NE. Will be end of August in ND.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I was thinking non fall harvest and it came out as spring (not thinking clearly, must be this respiratory bug I picked up somewhere).......LOL.... and you are very correct jmez.

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150. That’s a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days, CNN reported.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303. That’s a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.

Devos: “More and more studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves, so we should be in a posture of — the default should be getting back to school kids in person, in the classroom.”

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
while deaths are down by about 60%.
Let's hope that trend continues, it usually takes 3-4 weeks to die from COVID so there will always be a lag between cases and deaths. So the influx of deaths we are seeing now is likely predominately from the 4th of July weekend.

But we are finding new treatments and every day being closer to a vaccine so it's definitely looking better!

What gets harvested in the spring exactly (asparagus)? The fall is when most season crops I am familiar with are harvested. Yet another downside from the average American having been totally disconnected from where their food comes from.
Think livestock feed aka hay....gotta feed them something to get them thru the winter.

Case #s mean almost nothing very little because the testing has been a disaster.

% of positive cases relative to the number of tests administered is a much better metric.

My county has gone back to only testing those cases they consider "high priority" because they don't have the capacity to meet the demand for testing. And the turn around for results is still over a week.

I asked you before and received no answer. I’ll ask again. Earlier, you spoke of treating Covid 19 patients. Many who required cpr attempts that were not successful. Then you’d move on to the next to only repeat.

How many cases did you treat approximately? Has the rate of cases increased? And, why aren’t the current cases you are treating not dying at the previous rates?

Let's hope that trend continues, it usually takes 3-4 weeks to die from COVID so there will always be a lag between cases and deaths. So the influx of deaths we are seeing now is likely predominately from the 4th of July weekend.

But we are finding new treatments and every day being closer to a vaccine so it's definitely looking better!
+another 1-2 weeks for death certificate and for the death to be counted in the updated case count. So it's more like a 6 week lag.

KurtR

WKR
test results here in 45 minutes and no new cases for the last 3 weeks . Thought after the 4th we would have an explosion with all the people here to party and drink. Now this week end we have the crash up derby and will have hundreds more from states all around. School is on, full sports schedule . Hunting season is getting close. Going to my first hunt test with the dog in a week. Things are looking up I dont know if i could live in the doom and gloom world that some revel in. All in all here in sodak other than a few masked people its life as normal here

This is completely anecdotal:

Our hospital is definitely experiencing a surge of COVID cases. I know there is a lot of discussion about number of cases being inflated etc. But there is definitely more cases occurring. Two weeks ago we averaged 8-10 total covid patients with 1-2 in ICU. When I left work last night we had 14 cases in our covid unit, and an additional 6 cases in our ICU.

These are not other illnesses that happen to test positive for COVID. A vast majority of our cases are purely covid cases which subsequently leads to other issues. We had a 54 yo women pass a few days ago because she was hypoxic for almost a week without seeking medical help. By the time she arrived, she was in complete renal failure due to dehydration and hypoxia. This quickly progressed into multi organ failure. She is not an isolated occurrence.

Take care of yourselves.

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150. That’s a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days, CNN reported.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303. That’s a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.

Devos: “More and more studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves, so we should be in a posture of — the default should be getting back to school kids in person, in the classroom.”

You are so pick and choose. Depending on which days you pick to compare, the numbers actually would go down. Its just media BS to find dates with the highest increase and then publish them to make it fit their agenda.
I also noticed that in the numbers you found, the hospitalization rate for children DECREASED substantially.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are so pick and choose. Depending on which days you pick to compare, the numbers actually would go down. Its just media BS to find dated with the highest increase and then publish them to make it fit their agenda.
I also noticed that in the numbers you found, the hospitalization rate for children DECREASED substantially.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That wasn't comparing two dates that's an increase over a period of time, not picking choosing anything. Just saying from day x to day y. Cases have increased and so have the number hospitalized.

The point is kids get it, they can transmit it and they can get really sick from it. Add them into close quarters school situation with hundreds-thousanda breathing the same air, school is going to be a disaster.

Look at baseball trying to start. They couldn't even make it two days. That's with rigorous testing, quarantine and dealing a small number of adults.

jmez

WKR
It really isn't as difficult as everyone is trying to portray. It's population medicine 101.

If you live in a densely populated area or state it is a matter of when, not if. You live in a sparsely populated area or state it is if not when. The numbers are what you would expect based on population dynamics. The larger states that were patting themselves on the back for stopping this when NY, NJ, and Michigan were a mess are now experiencing the outbreak. It was only a matter of time.

South Dakota isn't California and never will be. We don't have the population base here to have a severe outbreak. In the densely populated areas, as long as there is a single case out there then it stays a matter of when, not if.

When the virus takes off it rages for about a month, cases drop and level off for a couple of weeks and then go into a decline. Same thing happening now that did six weeks ago. The good thing is that the death rate has been far lower in this surge than the last one. Yes, it is a lagging indicator but we are more than a month into this latest case spike and the death rates have remained low compared to the NY,NJ, Michigan spike.

Death rate and total case number graphs are mirror images, not what you would expect with the "lagging indicator" theory. In the first major wave of this both in US and worldwide death numbers peaked prior to case numbers peaking. Again, not what you expect in the "lagging indicator" theory. There are no indications, worldwide, and in our country that we are all of a sudden going to get into the 3000+ deaths per day range again.

Status
Not open for further replies.