What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
This is what the latest public health message has morphed into. But who really knows if this will work well, when there are limits to the sensitivity/timing of the tests, and so many asymptomatic infected people?

Many areas have had very little confirmed cases compared to the area's entire population, so there will almost undoubtedly always be some new cases in a population that is relatively naive to the virus, regardless of restrictions.

My friend suggested that, other than the RNA test for live virus, the tests we have are not very good. The notion is that they are ok for contact tracing (e.g. if you are testing a group that has been exposed and there are 1-2 bad results out of 10 that is ok since the group results are directionally correct).

Time will tell how this plays out, but the more I learn, the more I feel like our national infrastructure is failing us. It seems like in other countries who successfully relaxed restrictions did so following the deployment of an extensive testing regiment. We don't have that but are already relaxing. Feels like we are willfully driving blind.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
No test yet. Same symptoms with slight improvement today. I am being told that I likely won't be tested unless symptoms worsen. I'm questioning if I have it but staying home just in case. In the past, I definitely would be working normally.
Unless you have pre existing conditions, I'd stay the hell away from a hospital and a test. The test sucks. Hospitals are getting paid for people testing positive.
Doctors all over the world are speaking out about the atrocity but guess what? All over the world professional medical care physicians are being silenced and censored. Any truth that may awaken people will be censored from public view. It's amazing how fast information is stripped away and suddenly there are hundreds of counter studies and articles going against the information that has been removed.
It just doesnt make sense. And if that is true, the number mean nothing besides people arent dieing from heart attacks, strokes or heart failure nearly as often before covid but the covid bracket has absorbed those deaths. Almost perfectly across.

It doesnt make sense.

As if the first wave wasnt bad enough. The second will surely be far worse. Dont get caught with your ding dong in the light socket!

Mike7

WKR
My friend suggested that, other than the RNA test for live virus, the tests we have are not very good. The notion is that they are ok for contact tracing (e.g. if you are testing a group that has been exposed and there are 1-2 bad results out of 10 that is ok since the group results are directionally correct).

Time will tell how this plays out, but the more I learn, the more I feel like our national infrastructure is failing us. It seems like in other countries who successfully relaxed restrictions did so following the deployment of an extensive testing regiment. We don't have that but are already relaxing. Feels like we are willfully driving blind.

Yeah, I have heard that in our news, but that doesn't jive with what I have heard from other doctor's on an international forum or from the reported world test numbers. Just more fake news I think.

County/regional health districts direct this testing specifically, and this is under a more general state plan, which is completely up to the state. For instance, in our region, testing restrictions have been progressively loosened by our regional health district as testing has become more available. Testing has been available for over a month for just about any reason, but initially was only available for new cough and fever.

But it takes much more time to slowly work on improving the testing's sensitivity, and I am not talking about the antibody testing.

I guess what I am saying is that relaxing things prior to actually flattening the curve doesn't allow for achieving the stated goal.

On a separate note, a friend who is pretty plugged into this whole things shared this with a group of us today which I thought was interesting:

"The only way we are going to manage this is by social distancing and test-based contact tracing. This is going to be kept under control not by asking if any one of us is infected but assuming all of us are."

I know people who are pretty plugged in also who would disagree with that a little. Also the curve has been flattened. Hospitals are laying people off, New York are cancelling contracts early for nurses, staffing hours have been reduced at hospitals across the nation, and this includes some of the hardest hit areas. These are things I also know from direct experience and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
No test yet. Same symptoms with slight improvement today. I am being told that I likely won't be tested unless symptoms worsen. I'm questioning if I have it but staying home just in case. In the past, I definitely would be working normally.
Fever is gone. Mild sore throat is still there and still feel tired but definitely improving. I have no intentions of getting tested unless it becomes necessary. I'm still taking it easy as the doctor says some people improve and then get worse during week 2. I'm on day 7 of symptoms.

MattB

WKR
I know people who are pretty plugged in also who would disagree with that a little. Also the curve has been flattened. Hospitals are laying people off, New York are cancelling contracts early for nurses, staffing hours have been reduced at hospitals across the nation, and this includes some of the hardest hit areas. These are things I also know from direct experience and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only presume that you did not look at the article I initially referenced because you seem to have missed the point. NY has flattened the curve and based on national data it appears the US has flattened the curve. But NY has a relatively large % of total cases and was hit early, so when you strip that out of the national data you see the curve for the remaining states has not yet flattened (taken individually, it has for some states but not many others).

But as my friend noted, with the reduction in travel this disease is now largely transmitted locally and needs to be treated more on a county by county basis, and not by looking at national or even state data.

Dmtindell

FNG
I felt as though non of this made sense from the beginning. I am 38 years old and in all my time here everytime I couldnt make sense of something it's been because I didn't have the right information or it wasn't true/real. I know there is a virus but the way this country is acting is absolutely ridiculous. I have lost all faith in society. Period.

jmez

WKR
You also have data within the data as well. SD was the leading hotspot in the nation a couple weeks ago. Virtually all of those cases came out of a single packing house in Sioux Falls. Statewide cases, other than that facility were static. So, while we were showing a huge uptick in total cases it didn't tell the whole story.

Nebraska is in a similar situation now with packing houses.

I think that we should have emphasized state numbers from day 1 rather than than total US numbers. Treat every state independently.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Guns gone and now a 'test' on civilians for a vaccine developed by chinese military:

Canadian researchers are joining the effort to develop a Chinese vaccine against the deadly coronavirus, with plans to begin human trials in Canada of a potential defence against COVID-19 that employs genetic technology from the National Research Council.

The trials will bring to Canadian soil Ad5-nCoV, a vaccine candidate under joint development by a Chinese company and the country’s military. Backed by a state that has urgently sought a vaccine of global importance, Ad5-nCoV has been among the most rapidly developed of numerous candidates around the world.

Now the NRC has struck an agreement to support its development in Canada by manufacturing doses that can be administered in human tests and for emergency pandemic use.

“We are going to get to evaluate it for safety and efficacy in Canada, as is being done already in China, and Canada will now be part of the front-runner story,” said Roman Szumski, vice-president of life sciences for the NRC.

If the tests succeed, the vaccine candidate could seek Health Canada’s approval for emergency use as early as this fall, Mr. Szumski said. It is already undergoing concurrent first- and second-phase human trials in China.

Thanks to shoeshineman for posting the link in the canada gun thread.

Btaylor

WKR
You also have data within the data as well. SD was the leading hotspot in the nation a couple weeks ago. Virtually all of those cases came out of a single packing house in Sioux Falls. Statewide cases, other than that facility were static. So, while we were showing a huge uptick in total cases it didn't tell the whole story.

Nebraska is in a similar situation now with packing houses.

I think that we should have emphasized state numbers from day 1 rather than than total US numbers. Treat every state independently.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
We had something like that one day last week. Caught the local news report...230 something new positive cases for the 24 hour period. 170 something of those were from one prison.

jmez

WKR
Seeing another similar thing now where I live. We haven't had many cases at all and now 16 in a week. News reported today that they are all a small family group of Native Americans in Rapid city. All related.

We had something like that one day last week. Caught the local news report...230 something new positive cases for the 24 hour period. 170 something of those were from one prison.
So those 170 probably weren't "new" cases. That's just the day they got tested.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
So those 170 probably weren't "new" cases. That's just the day they got tested.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They would still be considered new cases. What they wouldn't indicate would be a significant jump in cases area wide or significant community spread.

Okhotnik

WKR
Letting violent criminals out of prison in many progressive states now and pushing gun control at the same time all in the name of public safety. Many predicted this.

jmez

WKR
As for the Health care system. Lack of PPE is no longer an issue either. I've gotten bombarded with emails the past week from companies saying N95 masks and repsirators are in stock ready to ship, along with gowns, gloves etc.

MattB

WKR
Letting violent criminals out of prison in many progressive states now and pushing gun control at the same time all in the name of public safety. Many predicted this.

A friend of my brother's was killed in Oakland last week by a guy who would have been in jail but for $0 bail.

They arrested/ticketed/released a guy in LA last week 3 times in 24 hours for auto burglary, package theft, and then stealing a car.

The politicians who masterminded this are the real criminals.

Okhotnik

WKR
A friend of my brother's was killed in Oakland last week by a guy who would have been in jail but for $0 bail.

They arrested/ticketed/released a guy in LA last week 3 times in 24 hours for auto burglary, package theft, and then stealing a car.

The politicians who masterminded this are the real criminals.

Sorry to hear that. Those mutherfuggers

Status
Not open for further replies.