What are your favorite Mountain House meals?

If two of you are eating, try mixing two different meals. When MH biscuits and gravy first came out, and turkey tetrazzini was still available, I mixed them and it tasted just like a turkey pot pie. It was great! There were some others I mixed with biscuits and gravy that were game changers as well. One mix I made tasted very similar to chicken and dumplings, then about 3 years later, MH came out with… chicken and dumplings.
I prefer Peak Refuel over MH meals except for two: beef stroganoff and biscuits/gravy

mac and cheese, chili mac, granola with blueberries, chicken teriyaki, pasta primavera always make it in the pack. Breakfast Skillet is a gut filler especially added in a tortilla with Cholula or Tobasco.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
The best mt house for me is one I don’t have to eat. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind the taste. Some nights getting back late it is so easy I’ll have one. A dehydrator is a cheap and effective way to make a lot of meals. Mt house tears me up if I try a diet of them for a week. Making my own meals fixed that. I just filled my dehydrator with chicken I cooked in instapot last night. There are ton of recipes and options out there

Peak refuel. Sweet pork and rice and coconut chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gastro Gnome is a good step above the Rest IMO. Literally owned by a chef who worked in Michelin Star restaurants. It's not cheap, but really good.

Does anyone else find the breakfast skillet more spicy than flavorful? Who makes a better breakfast skillet? I can't eat eggs, so taters and peppers are great, but MH is too hot for my insides, if you know what I mean.

There is no absolute who makes the best IMO. I got two totes in my garage full of all brands that hunting partners have brought and left over the years because they didn't like em, so I've tried most of it. Most of the companies have 2-3 that are pretty good and the rest are warm garbage. Some companies are inedible across the board. Someone told my moose hunting partner last year that Peak was the best so he went and bought basically two of each Peak meal. He had some really good meals, and some days he went to bed and started the day pretty hungry. The meals that I can eat multiple times on one trip are.

MH - Curry, Spaghetti, Lasagna, B&G, Breakfast Skillet
Peak - Pesto
Backpacker's Pantry - Chx Alfredo (by far best alfredo of all companies!)

A few others from each company that are good once every so often, but those are the staples for me.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is no absolute who makes the best IMO. I got two totes in my garage full of all brands that hunting partners have brought and left over the years because they didn't like em, so I've tried most of it. Most of the companies have 2-3 that are pretty good and the rest are warm garbage. Some companies are inedible across the board. Someone told my moose hunting partner last year that Peak was the best so he went and bought basically two of each Peak meal. He had some really good meals, and some days he went to bed and started the day pretty hungry. The meals that I can eat multiple times on one trip are.

MH - Curry, Spaghetti, Lasagna, B&G, Breakfast Skillet
Peak - Pesto
Backpacker's Pantry - Chx Alfredo (by far best alfredo of all companies!)

A few others from each company that are good once every so often, but those are the staples for me.
Try this one, found her at Western Hunt..https://www.gastrognomemeals.com/

best I have tried

rclouse79

WKR
I switched to Readywise brand. In my opinion they are just as good, and Costco had a pretty sweet deal on them. I can't bring myself to spend $10 on a Mountain House knowing what it will do to me in the morning.

Biscuits and Gravy
Biscuits and Gravy
And Biscuits and Gravy.

If your worried about pure calorie intake some of the Peak meals have alot more calories I have found.

Reactions: DWD

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have any recommendations but to address the emergency use angle- unless they will be stored in a location that you will not have access to for an extended time (which therefore then begs the question of why store food there in the first place if you might not be able to get to it, but I digress)... I would recommend that you combine your prep and your Backcountry hunting supplies, and just rotate out the oldest lots to hunt with. Never take any out without first having bought the replacements, and then instead of hunting with the new purchases, put them on the shelf, and take the oldest packs in to the field. If you never have to use the emergency supply in a true emergency, then 5 years from now you'll still have a prep closet/bunker/wherever full of food that at that point still has 5 years to go, instead of at/near it's "expiration" and needs to be then cycled out. Keeps the future/shtf proofing going incrementally.