What are your favorite Mountain House meals?

ams30gts

FNG
I'm rebuilding my emergency stash with some MH meals. I have only tried a few so not familiar with all the varieties. What are some of your favs?

Any tips & tricks with how much water or how to prepare them etc?

Jethro

WKR
My favorites - Sweet and sour pork and turkey tetrazzini. Of course both now discontinued, so that doesn't help you.

Water, I use whatever the directions say. May give them a little longer soak time than what they recommend.

Italian Pepper Steak is my favorite but I’ve pretty much completely switched to Peak Refuel. The MH serving sizes and calories are too small for mountain hunting and backpacking trips.

IMO mountain house is my base line for freeze dried. Neither bad nor good, it is the OG and the standard by which I judge others. Some brands are better and so are much, much worse.

for MH I still like the biscuits and gravy and breakfast scramble. Chicken teriyaki and their spaghetti are still doable.

I have tried a dozen or more competitors and have become a big fan of peak refuel.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
I have very little experience in that area but during my short sweet time, I used to eat scrambled eggs with bacon and rice, and chicken. You can find recipes for both of them on the internet. They are pretty simple and easy to make.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Beef stroganoff, I add extra water and then once it has soaked for the allotted time I stir in some instant mashed potatoes to thicken it up and add calories

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with another poster that the sweet and sour pork they used to make was their best one but is now discontinued. If I'm going mountain house route its either teriyaki chicken or the pad Thai chicken. One that I tried recently that I think is newer is the buffalo style Mac and cheese. I liked it enough that I will have it in the rotation this year as well.

OP
A

ams30gts

FNG
IMO mountain house is my base line for freeze dried. Neither bad nor good, it is the OG and the standard by which I judge others. Some brands are better and so are much, much worse.

for MH I still like the biscuits and gravy and breakfast scramble. Chicken teriyaki and their spaghetti are still doable.

I have tried a dozen or more competitors and have become a big fan of peak refuel.

I like Peak Refuel too, but they only have a 5 year shelf life. Unfortunately these are for emergencies, not backpacking so the shelf life is a big factor.

Chili Mac and Beef Stroganoff! Use the amount of water recommended, but let it sit an extra minute.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
If only for emergencies, I'm not sure if the particular meal option matters all that much. I'd just buy whatever is cheapest. Costco has a variety pack they put on sale from time to time, and MH sells #10 cans that are sort of a "bulk" option, cheaper than buying individual packs.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Pasta Primavera with a tuna in sunflower oil packet added is my celebratory meal, but it's good by itself too. Chili mac, creamy mac & cheese, buffalo chicken mac, beef strog, beef stew, spaghetti, and fettuccine alfredo chicken are always part of my rotation. Lasagna is good too but the cheese sticks to utensils like crazy, so I usually save that one for a truck meal with disposables.

I like Peak Refuel too, but they only have a 5 year shelf life. Unfortunately these are for emergencies, not backpacking so the shelf life is a big factor.
In that case, wise and mountain house are both worth a look And cheaper per meal.

I picked up a bunch of peak refuel for an elk hunt. I felt like it was super overrated and over priced. Maybe my expectations were too high…
What are you comparing it to?

I’m probably more picky than the average person, and I think there are 6 or 7 that I like. I’m not saying I can live of them for more than a week.

MH Italian Pepper Steak is still my favorite freeze dried meal overall.

I might buy those Peaks you stocked up on 🤪