What are you paying for when you buy a $ 4K rifle?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Here is a steal on a level up from the base Tikka.
Sako S20 Precision .243 Win 24" Bbl 1:10"- $1,199

For the guys that want more power, the .300 WM, 7 mag, and 6.5 PRC in the S20 precision are all $1,099.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Precision-Rifles.aspx

Basically getting a fully adjustable ergonomic stock for less than half of a Stockys, McMillan, etc..., etc..., and cheaper than a KRG. The magazines are also built with extra length for reloaders.
Eurooptic.com has taken a lot of my money lately I did not need to see that too… ugh! Smoking deals

Hnthrdr

WKR
I agree there can come a point of diminishing returns for just about everything, but variety is the spice of life or so I have been told. I have sold several hunting rifles the last year and still have a safe full of rifles, but only have about 3/4 that I would consider taking big game hunting and out of those it’s really only two that I keep coming back to, and I would be fine with just one but it’s nice having options.

CMP70306

WKR
The biggest thing for me is controlled round feed, very few factory rifles have it and none of the ones that do met my criteria for what I wanted in my rifles. So I had to go buy the parts and put it together myself, then as technology advanced I sold off some parts and bought new ones to replace them. I now have 6 rifles I have assembled like that ranging from $2600 to $3900 depending on the particular actions and stocks on them.

Now to answer your question I’d say around $4500, that could buy you a Mausingfield action, Manners Pro Hunter or LRH, top end fitted carbon barrel, APA RTG bottom metal and Triggertech diamond. Not sure you could make a better hunting rifle for more than what’s listed there.

SDHNTR

WKR
Loo.wii, to your question: zero
however, it should gain you acceptance into the flat-brim radboy society. maybe even dump another 4K in trendy designer kuiu camo wear to seal the deal. /s
zero gain, outside of the more serious LR sniper crowd or collectors in general.
instead spend a respectable amount of time at the range with grandpas -06.
a clown with a novel lapel squirt flower or a ≥4K RBros custom, is still a clown.
Wth! I got an RBros!

DuckDogDr

WKR
i have both very economical and very expensive rifles.
My main squeeze for elk was $500 off of GB and it shoots lights out but I jumped on the custom bandwagon as well… that being said
But I’m currently still below the $4k price (without optic)
1) I wanted a faster twist barrel than what would have been offered from factory
2) i wanted a caliber not offered by factory options (wild cat)
3) I wanted a typical short action round built on a long action to be able to seat bullets longer and not worry about magazine space .
4) my buddy started his business and I wanted support him

SDHNTR

WKR
i have both very economical and very expensive rifles.
My main squeeze for elk was $500 off of GB and it shoots lights out but I jumped on the custom bandwagon as well… that being said
But I’m currently still below the $4k price (without optic)
1) I wanted a faster twist barrel than what would have been offered from factory
2) i wanted a caliber not offered by factory options (wild cat)
3) I wanted a typical short action round built on a long action to be able to seat bullets longer and not worry about magazine space .
4) my buddy started his business and I wanted support him
And according to some here, that makes you an egotistical A-hole who wears a flat brim.

Hnthrdr

WKR
What if you have 45 firearms that are equal to 6 really expensive firearms? Still an egotistical A-hole cause you go with quantity over quality? To each their own. As far as 95% of shooters are concerned, a ruger American will probably do you just fine. But heck this is America danggit! You can have whatever you can afford be it a rifle, house, car or wife ;)

2531usmc

WKR
back in the day (think pre 64 Winchester model 70) you were paying highly skilled machinists to hold very tight tolerances. That‘s what drove the price. But with today’s CNC/software controlled systems, all rifles are almost certainly build to the same very close tolerances…..cheap rifle or expensive rifle

And according to some here, that makes you an egotistical A-hole who wears a flat brim.
A small but vocal percentage of posters here get very insecure and weird about people spending money on things. If you spend more than what they spent (which happens to be the correct amount), you think you're better than them and it gives them a massive inferiority complex.

back in the day (think pre 64 Winchester model 70) you were paying highly skilled machinists to hold very tight tolerances. That‘s what drove the price. But with today’s CNC/software controlled systems, all rifles are almost certainly build to the same very close tolerances…..cheap rifle or expensive rifle
They're not made the same or held to the same tolerances. And the specs they are held to may not be what you want either. Even if we're comparing factory rifles, a Seekins is not the same thing as a Remington. You may want a different trigger, an adjustable cheekpiece, a threaded barrel on a lightweight gun, sturdier scope base screws, an external bolt stop, etc.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Don’t let some of these boys get wind of the world of restored antique firearms… haha I have a friend who lives in a hand built cabin in Kentucky, dude is as cool as the backside of the pillow. Down to earth you would never know he owns a giant company, many ranches and paid 45k to restore an old 1880’s lever action so he could take it to Africa to hunt with, now that is what I call F.U. Money. Not a flat brim a hole though

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
From what I’ve seen around here you gain the ability to show up at the range, hardly shoot at all, spend the entire time telling everyone how much you spent on your rifle, see the small groups our stock Tikkas are producing, then leave. 😁

LoggerDan

WKR
If I were able to afford such extravagance from a side venture of skill or creativity, I suppose I would have D’arcy Echols work his magic and give him free reign with a particular Pre 64 70 I own. At four large, I wouldn’t get much, but I know I would get back a handsome piece of functional art.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I don’t have an ego..could care less what others think about me.…. I can be an asshole sometimes though..

There’s also not a flat brim within a 1/4 mile of my house and my truck is not squatted .

Ten Bears

WKR
wants versus need…

when I was young and broke I hunted with what I needed to get the job done effectively.

after 25 years of too much work I wanted a couple nice shotguns and rifles. So I spent the money I earned on things I wanted. Some of there things are cosmetic, some are functional.

Does it make me a better shooter…I don’t know. But I am happy with them and the work it took to own them. Doesn’t make make my brim flat or my ego change one bit.

What does bother me is the growing sentiment that owning things I want automatically makes me a clueless d bag. Do you really care about how I spend my money? I could go on and on about the many ways it’s unhealthy to be concerned with other folks. But I think this sums it up…

The same person that’s constantly staring into someone pockets probably isn’t too far off personality wise of the rich d bag they envision.

So I will go with $1500 as the point where you see diminishing returns. No one requires more than a Ford XLT but plenty of platinum and limited running around at 2x the price.
Exactly the comparison I was about to make. I would be just fine in an XLT, but I sure enjoy my King Ranch.

But I spend a lot more time in a driver's seat than I do behind a trigger, $1k plus glass is where I start hesitating.