What are you paying for when you buy a $ 4K rifle?

TN2shot07

WKR
It’s not any different than vehicles, some people are perfectly content when they pull off the lot and don’t do a thing except maintenance until it’s time for another one. Some people leave the dealer with a list in their head of how to make it better. If it performs to your specifications don’t spend more money, if you have money to burn build to your hearts content.

I fall somewhere in the middle, most of my setups probably fall in that $1,500-2k range depending on the glass that ends up on it. Stocks, triggers, & cerakote are usually on the list. I’ve shot nicer rifles but just can’t justify it for my uses (yet).

CorbLand

WKR
Family member had a custom gun built last year. I think total with glass it was 6500. His dad was giving him crap spending that much. His response
1. I knew what bullet I wanted it to shoot and built it accordingly.
2. It fits me perfectly and is a pound lighter than anything I could have bought.
3. I have worked hard at my job, built my house and sold it for a million in profit.
4. With all of that, I wanted it and I got it.

So what do you get with a 4000 custom gun? You get just that, it’s custom, built the way you want it.

whaack

WKR
I like rifles. I like nice rifles. I like nice rifles built the way I want them built. Rifles are one of the few things in life I splurge on. I drive a 18 yr old truck and am frugal with most other things. What you get when you go custom is just that, customization. An action/receiver with the features I want. A barrel in the specific chambering and throating, rifling, twist, length and contour I want. The stock shape and material I want. The colors I want. Nothing available off the rack anywhere provides all of what I want. And inaccuracies in fit and finish that are naturally present in mass produced rifles irritate me. I don’t want that. For most, all they care is that it goes bang and bullets land where they are supposed to. A few want that, yes, but also have more discerning wants too. That’s me. Life is too short to shoot boring rifles (no offense to custom rifle builder of same name).

Agreed. There will always be guys that only want or need a base model F150. And there will always be guys that want or need a GMC Denali 2500. You do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot

FNG
I'd been out of the rifle game for a long time, but when i wanted to get back into it, I bought what most would call a very expensive rifle package.

What I got was a rifle that shoots lights out, made the way I want, scope mounted right, Load developed right, perfect cut turrets and a customer service that I can't speak highly enough.

I don't have the time or desire to build one myself, so this works for me.

No regrets.

tony

WKR
4k seems cheap, I was on a site and they started at $6500.

What are you getting for $6500?

ODB

WKR
Whst do you get? Exactly what you want.

@LoggerDan you have good taste. D'Arcy has been a friend for 20+ years.

Many people think he only builds synthetic/stainless rifles. D'Arcy's other genius is as a stockmaker.

This is a 450 Rigby on an FZH Magnum Mauser action.

4501.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm sure some of know of guns far more expensive. Like the ones you buy and manufacture will fly you to Europe to be properly fitted. guns well over $100k. Here is a used one, Renato Gamba Maximum Express Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle. .458 Winchester magnum. Only $85,000. Holy Crap. Now we all know the rifle really isn't worth that much, but some people have more money than god, and they have the need to let other people know It. What are you getting for 85K.????????????????Or 100K for that matter???. Will the animal be any deader than one shot with a $1000 rifle.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
@Loo.wii , if you are married then go ask your wife why she would want or appreciate nice things or gifts that you could afford to give her but won’t because in your judgment she should just settle for less.

dneaster3

FNG
Timex vs Rolex

If all you need to know is what time it is, timex is functionally sufficient and economically efficient.
Rolex is built differently (automatic, 100M, stainless) for different functional purpose (diving, flying, technical precision), for different aesthetic choice (beauty, fashion, fit/finish), and for different social value (prestige, display, ego).

All of those “differents” have a cool and not cool version. Whatever you choose, be cool, man.

Now replace Timex with Tikka or Ruger American and Rolex with Rigby, Brown Precision, Huskemaw, D’Arcy Echols, etc.
Same rules apply.

ODB

WKR
I'm sure some of know of guns far more expensive. Like the ones you buy and manufacture will fly you to Europe to be properly fitted. guns well over $100k. Here is a used one, Renato Gamba Maximum Express Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle. .458 Winchester magnum. Only $85,000. Holy Crap. Now we all know the rifle really isn't worth that much, but some people have more money than god, and they have the need to let other people know It. What are you getting for 85K.????????????????Or 100K for that matter???. Will the animal be any deader than one shot with a $1000 rifle.

I know a hell of a lot of people who own really fine firearms - some easily at 100K. Not a single one does it for bragging rights for the rifle or the money - it's all about the rifle and as often, the story behind the rifle. Ask Joe Bonamassa why he collects rare guitars and amps - the answer isn't what you think.

LoggerDan

WKR
@ODB

I think I’d rather have his guitar collection. He has some beautiful Les Pauls, amongst others. I got hip to D’arcy via Phil Shoemaker something like 14-17 years ago. His walnut rifles rival the Biesons.

Reactions: ODB
Anybody who makes more money than me must be an a-hole. Anybody who votes different than me… prolly an a-hole. I’m starting to suspect everybody who is not me… is an a-hole. And I’m wondering sometimes… am I the a-hole?

We should start a thread Ala Jeff Foxworthy “if you run a flat brim 6.5 manbun with a fluted bolt mounted in a manners stock… you might be an a-hole!!

Yoder

WKR
I could care less what people buy. One thing I enjoy is out performing people that bought top of the line gear and have no idea how to use it. Fishing, hunting, shooting sports, just about anything. I love beating guys a a pistol match with my used $300 Glock when they have a custom $3k pistol. I know one guy who had a new and more expensive gun every shoot that I beat regularly. If I only had this trigger or that grip or this site. Once you get something accurate and reliable the rest doesn't matter much. I understand liking nice things. I think what turns people off is the arrogance. If your humble and have a $4k rifle, nobody will care. If you are telling everyone and the brother how awesome your rifle is and shoot like trash everyone hates you. Everyone.

I sold a 4k dollar custom (for a shit ton less on here) that I loved that I didn’t need and replaced it with a 1700$ tikka in a manners.

The biggest differences were in fit and finish. Hand work was perfect, balance was perfect for off hand shots for me, every gap was identical and tight but free floated/spaced perfect. I would just go look at it constantly.

Now, I’ve also had customs that were not like that. So not all of them are equal.

Depends on hard on firearms you are. Pointless to spend a lot on firearms that will be out
in the elements and possible slips and falls and get skinned up.
I would say the opposite for me,if I’m in the elements,mtns,etc work my ass off in nasty terrain than I want the best I can get.Now that may be a 800 doller rifle or a 3000 doller rifle depending on situation.

i have both very economical and very expensive rifles.
My main squeeze for elk was $500 off of GB and it shoots lights out but I jumped on the custom bandwagon as well… that being said
But I’m currently still below the $4k price (without optic)
1) I wanted a faster twist barrel than what would have been offered from factory
2) i wanted a caliber not offered by factory options (wild cat)
3) I wanted a typical short action round built on a long action to be able to seat bullets longer and not worry about magazine space .
4) my buddy started his business and I wanted support him
Awesome way to support a friend. Good on you!

For others though, you can do the same thing if you start with a TIkka action. For example, I have a .25-06 Tikka today. In the future I want to rebarrel to a .25-06AI.

1) Faster twist- new barrel
2) Wild cat- new barrel
3) SA round in LA action- I believe all Tikkas start as long action, just need the correct bolt stop, bottom metal, and mags to convert from SA to LA

I'm not bagging on the guys that want a custom, just saying there are more than one way to skin a cat. If you're a tight ass like me, I want max performance and reliability in the most affordable package. For me that's a Tikka or Sako.

I spent $500 for a completely custom, hand-made, rain-drop Damascus hunting knife. This is the only "custom" anything I own, and I had it made because I have a ton of knives that all do the same job. However, there were things I liked and hated about all of them. This knife combined everything I liked into one knife that fits my hand perfectly that is a work of functional art. Same goes for 100% custom rifles I suppose, and folks can get whatever they want.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I have a custom Howa like the OP very similar build except I have a manners stock I got on clearance on it, spent around $2k on it between parts and labor oh and I bought the donor gun for $300, it is a tack driver and I had it built to shoot a specific bullet but that Howa action is heavy.

I also have a $4k+ custom that is 2lbs lighter and also a tack driver, I only hunt with the custom, weight matters lugging something around and up and down the mountains.

I will say I probably wouldn’t build another full custom but would do another semi off a tikka action.

Buying a rifle off the shelf from a box store is boring, many are just fine with boring. The semi custom Howa is a 6.5cm my kids shoot.