Weirdest thing you have found while backpacking

This wasn't technically backpacking, but I grew up still hunting whitetails in Kansas. I was out with my dad and we found a little shack along the river. My only memory of that shack 25 yrs later is that the walls were lined with playboy pictures/covers from the 70's and 80's. There were stacks of the magazines as well. Eye opening for a 14 yr old:) I can't remember what was said between my dad and I but this thread brought back that memory!

wyogoat

WKR
In 2007 I hunted the Monarch Pass area of Colorado and found the fuselage of an airplane that had crashed there. I wasn't the first to find it but regardless pretty crazy working a bugling bull and seeing the tail of a plane sticking up...

BH107

FNG
Back when I was in high school I used to do a little bit of deer hunting in our local San Diego mountains. One morning I was sitting on a ridge watching a game trail and a big clearing just past it. About an hour after the sun came up I noticed movement on the game trail, but it wasn't what I was expecting. To my surprise it was a group of 8 illegal immigrants walking along the trail. I just watched them walk by, and about 30 minutes later a group of deer walked down the same trail.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I was packed in 8 miles down this canyon just a couple miles north of the Mexican border. I was chasing wild boar with a bow. Found two crazy things on this backpack hunt one was this shack. Next to it was a bench and small fire pit.
429ce1fb5c8e0acd055f069d297aab13.jpg
after setting off a sensor couple hours later I had three border patrol agents with small packs on and ar15 rifles in hand come walking into our camp. They told us we were in a big hot spot for drug movers to stay sharp and I quote "shoot first ask questions later." We told them we only had bows they told us the guys running drugs don't mess around and to protect ourselves. Couple days later in same area I setup along a long grassy meadow above a small creek. Sitting behind some trees I noticed something over In the brush, looked to me like a survival kit for border crossers. Had a backpack that easily held 5 gallons of water with a copper tube. Survival kit with instructions on a variety of different symptoms along with how to treat them. (Hear stroke, hypothermia, snake bites ect.)
1cdc71c66881cf8c736e65dc80d66834.jpg
b91fc8efd43fc711eddb0b83c63f44ab.jpg
later on the pack out we saw multiple things "out of place" blankets let along trail miles further along pair of jeans just a crazy place! I have a trail cam down there need to go check it. Can only imagine what's on it now....
Sam

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Also forgot to mention after talking with border patrol they told us the container is full of supplies and used for steal out operations when they have tips on big drug movement they'll head down there and rally up the beans good stuff!

I found a guy frozen in the Sandia's with a bullet hole in his head and a handgun in his hand. I had cell service and I called 911. Police showed up and it was ruled a suicide. I felt bad for the guy as I just can't imagine life ever being that bad.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Found a rocket about 8-ft tall that had fallen from space...250 miles in the middle of no-where Alaska crashed on the side of a mountain! Considering my checkered past, not that weird! LOL

me and skeeter at rocket.jpg

ethan

WKR
Found a shrine of some sort in Colorado, miles from the nearest road. It looked sort of like a pyramid built from link-a-logs (remember them!) and had various items down inside it including some worn out photos, and letters, etc... Also had a small statue of Mary on top of it. I started to take a pic but it didn't feel right so I left it alone.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha I'm glad someone else on here knows exactly what that is!

Very we'll may be. After showing the stash like of thd buried gallon water bottles if you look close in the picture you'll see. But after showing border patrol they said this is a common thing they run across. They will make little piles of gear found and acquired and like if up for the guys bringing people across border.

Very we'll may be. After showing the stash like of thd buried gallon water bottles if you look close in the picture you'll see. But after showing border patrol they said this is a common thing they run across. They will make little piles of gear found and acquired and like if up for the guys bringing people across border.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the illegals have picked up FSS gear. As much as we firefighters try, every piece of gear might not get picked up off the hill.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, the rocket was fired from a place called Poker Flats outside Fairbanks, managed by the University of Alaska. They load these rockets with various gases and launch them into orbit to the magnetosphere to release the gases for studying the "northern lights".

These rockets are "designed" to return to Earth and drop into the southern Brooks Range away from civilization, and UAF has rewards for locating the debris. I got paid $2000 for that one. On our flight back home we spotted another old rocket in the middle of the tundra...so to be a good guy, I had the pilot turn in the coordinates and he got his $2K also. Sweet treasure hunt, guys.

What is the Aurora Borealis? On Earth, the energetic particles that make aurora come from the geospace environment, the magnetosphere. These energetic particles are mostly electrons, but protons also make aurora. The electrons travel along magnetic field lines. The Earth's magnetic field looks like that of a dipole magnet where the field lines are coming out and going into the Earth near the poles. The auroral electrons are thus guided to the high latitude atmosphere. As they penetrate into the upper atmosphere, the chance of colliding with an atom or molecule increases the deeper they go. Once a collision takes place, the atom or molecule takes some of the energy of the energetic particle and stores it as internal energy while the electron goes on with a reduced speed. The process of storing energy in a molecule or atom is called "exciting" the atom. An excited atom or molecule can return to the non-excited state (ground state) by sending off a photon, i.e. by making light.

View attachment 19684