Weekend California Hog Hunt

Took this sow on Friday night. My dad came down from Washington for this hunt and I wanted him to be the first of us to take a hog. We were doing some glassing about 45 min before dark and we wandered apart. I hopped up on a big rock and gazed into a nasty canyon to see a few hogs feeding about 1000 feet below me on a finger. I tried to find my old man but he was out of reach and time was ticking so I went after them. After dropping down to the hogs as fast as I could I made it just in time to get a shot before daylight ran out. I had to climb back up and get my dad and my pack. We cut her up and I packed her out in one trip in the DT1. Made for a long night. We got on a few other groups of hogs for my dad but the terrain and the time before dark limited him.

Overall a good time hunting with my father.

DSC00122.jpgDSC00117.jpgDSC00151.jpgDSC00115.jpg

Man, that's awesome. Sounds like it was a great time for you and your dad. Thanks for sharing.

What's your estimate on the amount of meat you got off her?

Man, that's awesome. Sounds like it was a great time for you and your dad. Thanks for sharing.

What's your estimate on the amount of meat you got off her?

I haven't weighed the meat yet but im guessing 70lbs or so. Looking forward to eating her up!

Non resident Lic is $160 and tag is $73

But that's not the expensive part. 95%+ of the pigs in CA are killed on private land. You pretty much have to pay for a guided hunt or at least access if you want a reasonable chance at success. Plan on $500 or more depending on options.

Well then you were one of the few successful hunters. Congrats. I wasn't there but heard the success numbers and they sucked. I'll be there this weekend. Hoping for better.

Yeah I noticed that. There were a lot of ppl there to! Way more than when I went last year.

That's a big sow. Congrats.
That's a dream hunt for me. Hit the Sonoma wine country and take my bow to hunt a few days.

near sonoma, it's a whole other level. there is public land. i hunt it often, but i have only gotten fish shakes at running hogs..they are super smart. like big whitetails. private is about $600ish.

get over here next winter!

near sonoma, it's a whole other level. there is public land. i hunt it often, but i have only gotten fish shakes at running hogs..they are super smart. like big whitetails. private is about $600ish.

get over here next winter!

1st Choice is $450 guided and $300 semi guided in sonoma cnty.

Back