Chassis for winter hunting?

kmr1983

FNG
I'm considering a chassis for my coyote gun build. I'm curious what others have experienced with the chassis when the temps get down below freezing. Being aluminum, do they get too cold, or is it a non issue?
Thanks!

I use an XLR chassis Not an issue in the cold at all for me. I hunted in -40 wind chill in Nebraska this winter.

Attachments

• 20240112_075025_resized.jpeg
    20240112_075025_resized.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 18
I carried a buddies SIg Cross for a while on a December hunt. I couldn't wait to hand it back to him and carry my Kimber Adirondack. I'm not sure what type of thick ass gloves Justin was wearing, but that thing was so much colder than a carbon stock. I'd say you may be able to deal with it fine, but there is definitely a big difference in felt temperature.

dster3

FNG
You might look into a carbon chassis-stock hybrid like the Manners TCS. Not too cold where I'm at, but I've had buddies burn themselves on their aluminum chassis and complain a bit when it is cold.

If you go the aluminum route, take a video of yourself licking it during winter and I'll send you some money.

OP
K

kmr1983

FNG
You might look into a carbon chassis-stock hybrid like the Manners TCS. Not too cold where I'm at, but I've had buddies burn themselves on their aluminum chassis and complain a bit when it is cold.

If you go the aluminum route, take a video of yourself licking it during winter and I'll send you some money.
I'll remember that. How much money?

I hunt quite a bit with an AR, and it gets sub-zero here. In addition to gloves, you can also get various materials that come with an adhesive backing off of amazon. Felt, suede, etc, and those can work pretty well. Vet wrap can do a decent job insulating for a season, too, and it comes in almost any camo pattern you'd like. Another option would be making some sort of leather wrap for the parts you touch.

My Christensen MPR chassis isn’t bad. I used it night hunting last winter. Stick a hot hands in the grip, the forend and the cheek piece are carbon fiber so not nearly as cold as aluminum.