Grandsons first hog.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I took the grandson on his first hog/big game hunt up in central Ca.I did not hunt. We hunted with the guide I have successfully hunted with in the past. It did not start out great, the first barley field we were going to hunt we socked in with dense fog. We decided to go above it and see what we could find. What we found was a ton of fresh sign track, droppings, and more wet tracks around and leading away from watering holes but no hogs, we just kept going from spot to spot with the same results. It seemed we were about 30 mins late every where we went. We made one stop when his dog, Bean got a good sent, so we let him go for it. He went straight down into canyon, after about ten mins he start yelping. the guide and my grandson went over to the edge to see if they could get a visual on him and the hogs, they saw about 10 hogs running up the hill, my grandson Carter took a shot at a hog on a flat out run hog at about 100 yards, swing and a miss. His dog went up and over the hill, so we jumped into the quad and flew around the hills to the other side. the guide had a tracker on him and we located him but he had lost the scent, so he called him in. Around noon we were doing a lot of stopping and glassing in the shaded areas on the side of the hills. The guide picked up movement about 250 yards away in the shad of the dense brush, try as he might he was not able to direct my grandson to the exact spot, all the trees and brush look the same. They got out and went up the hill to see if they could get a better angle on the hogs, I remind at the quad glassing the hills, these old knees kept me at the quad, but never was able to locate the hogs. After about 20 mins. I heard what I had been waiting many years for, the report of Carters 30-06. they were too far away to be able to hear them so I just waited. A short time later, down they came with Carter dragging his first hog. I was so excited I almost cried, okay, maybe I did just a little. I am one very proud and lucky grandResized_20230809_131442.jpegpa to have such a great grandson.

Attachments

• Resized_20230809_142521.jpeg
    Resized_20230809_142521.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Resized_20230809_142457.jpeg
    Resized_20230809_142457.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 101
OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nice job John!

I thought you had one knee fixed
I did, when Carter and the guide headed down into the canyon, I said I'll stay here and guard the quad. Actually I volunteered again to guard the quad when they headed up hill. :) I did walk with them across a barley field to get a better view of the creek bottom.

Reactions: MJB
I took the grandson on his first hog/big game hunt up in central Ca.I did not hunt. We hunted with the guide I have successfully hunted with in the past. It did not start out great, the first barley field we were going to hunt we socked in with dense fog. We decided to go above it and see what we could find. What we found was a ton of fresh sign track, droppings, and more wet tracks around and leading away from watering holes but no hogs, we just kept going from spot to spot with the same results. It seemed we were about 30 mins late every where we went. We made one stop when his dog, Bean got a good sent, so we let him go for it. He went straight down into canyon, after about ten mins he start yelping. the guide and my grandson went over to the edge to see if they could get a visual on him and the hogs, they saw about 10 hogs running up the hill, my grandson Carter took a shot at a hog on a flat out run hog at about 100 yards, swing and a miss. His dog went up and over the hill, so we jumped into the quad and flew around the hills to the other side. the guide had a tracker on him and we located him but he had lost the scent, so he called him in. Around noon we were doing a lot of stopping and glassing in the shaded areas on the side of the hills. The guide picked up movement about 250 yards away in the shad of the dense brush, try as he might he was not able to direct my grandson to the exact spot, all the trees and brush look the same. They got out and went up the hill to see if they could get a better angle on the hogs, I remind at the quad glassing the hills, these old knees kept me at the quad, but never was able to locate the hogs. After about 20 mins. I heard what I had been waiting many years for, the report of Carters 30-06. they were too far away to be able to hear them so I just waited. A short time later, down they came with Carter dragging his first hog. I was so excited I almost cried, okay, maybe I did just a little. I am one very proud and lucky grandView attachment 587306pa to have such a great grandson.
Good for him. great story.

griller

FNG
Great story, and congrats to your and your grandson. I've been on my share of hog hunts in S. Alabama & can share the rush you get when harvesting these critters.

Love the celebratory cigar, too. I'm a big fan myself. What brand/size? I like a lot of the Nicaraguans & Hondurans being produced right now, mixing in a Havana here & there when able...

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Great story, and congrats to your and your grandson. I've been on my share of hog hunts in S. Alabama & can share the rush you get when harvesting these critters.

Love the celebratory cigar, too. I'm a big fan myself. What brand/size? I like a lot of the Nicaraguans & Hondurans being produced right now, mixing in a Havana here & there when able...
Double Chateau Fuente 6.5 x 50