Weatherby Model 307 (“New” Action for Weatherby)

OP
ndlawrence
You're welcome!

Their first action in fifty years, and they made a slightly better 700 action. The same shit triggers nothing integrated. Slow clap....

I guess I am not easily impressed.
I mostly agree with this - but are you referring to the Trigger Tech being garbage?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I mostly agree with this - but are you referring to the Trigger Tech being garbage?
The 700 trigger design, in general, is crap. The trigger brand really doesn't matter. There are several threads on here and on other forums about this issue. Heck, I am going to the NF ELR shoot tomorrow. I talked to a few shooters this week that have shot the NF shoot a couple of times and both said to bring an extra trigger because of the dust.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
You're welcome!

Their first action in fifty years, and they made a slightly better 700 action. The same shit triggers nothing integrated. Slow clap....

I guess I am not easily impressed.
Got to agreed with RA here. I got excited to see what all the fuss was about with the 307, studied for a minute, and was instantly disappointed that overall it's just (TO ME) a branded/dressed up copy of the same concept/operating principles that I don't care for in the current market of rifle actions. Some good features, some cool improvements, some important things completely unaddressed nor improved.

I guess good for them, but the relative improvements to the basic 2-lug push feed is disproportionate with all the hype/marketing/"wow!" type tone surrounding the unveiling.
I have a (joke) conspiracy theory that they made the action so they could sell more Peak44 stocks... because I couldn't think of another substantial reason to make basically what everybody else makes and pretend it's the newest innovation in the history of push feed rifles.

I'll go back under my rock now.

To each his own I guess. I bet they sell piles of them, they have run a successful company for years and think they know what they are doing.
I bet the sell them well also.

That doesn’t make it exciting. It isn’t exciting for really any reason other than if you’re into prs legos it’s now one of the cheapest options with Mack bros.

The tactical shooting industry is centered around the rem700 so they built a rem700 and they advanced it….. not at all.

Boring isn’t necessarily bad, and it can for sure sell plenty, but it’s still boring.

Had they made it 700 footprint with integral lug, integral rail, anti bind rail in the action and designed their own proprietary trigger this site would be excited. They chose to make a bergara premier in Wyoming from all I can tell.

amassi

WKR
Wow, you came up with all those facts about who invented what, and you can't even figure out which model Savage has been continuously produced since 1958? Interesting.

There isn’t one. Next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UP NORTH

WKR
The 700 trigger design, in general, is crap. The trigger brand really doesn't matter. There are several threads on here and on other forums about this issue. Heck, I am going to the NF ELR shoot tomorrow. I talked to a few shooters this week that have shot the NF shoot a couple of times and both said to bring an extra trigger because of the dust.
Hi Ryan, in your eyes what action has the best trigger design?

gerry35

WKR
With the Weatherby 307 some will like it and some won't which is normal. Had they gone with a brand new action I bet some complaining here about the 700 footprint would be saying there are no aftermarket parts available. If they deliver a quality action for a good price they won't be able to keep them in stock. I really like what Weatherby has been doing since Adam has been at the helm and wish them well. When the lefties come out I already got plans to upgrade my Rem 700 to the new 307 and selling the old action.

You go first
The 110 was released in 63.
None of savages line from 1958 exist
Every conceivable part on the 1963 110 has been changed and only the name remains.
For a fanboy you know very little about your favorite brand.

Odd I owned a 1959 model 110. Rebarreled it in fact. Maybe you just need more experience with Savage 110’s.

Weatherby spent decades pounding their chests about them having designed the superior action and now they clone the “lesser”action? I am tired of companies like Weatherby who try to convince shooters that they are pushing innovation and development when they clearly are not. In the past Weatherby was an innovator but have not been in the last few decades at least.

Also the affordability only works if you dont have to give it to a gunsmith to work over to bring it up to the level of actions produced by other companies. If barrel makers dont offer prefits then you have to ask questions about the tolerances and repeatability of Weatherby’s manufacturing.

Lastly one of the cheapest components of a rifle build or subsequent shooting is the action. Actions dont wear out like barrels or brass. And things like bullets, primers, powders are one time use. The cost per shot of an action can be fractions of a penny, which is not the case with most other components. Dont allow price to control you.

I hope Weatherby got this right and it blows other action builders out of the water, just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherby still has their Mark V action which is unique but does not appeal to me, their Vanguard is basically a Rem 700 clone for the most part so why not design their own action on the 700 pattern just like everyone else...Defiance, Terminus, Impact, etc..

The 700 is hard to beat and the modern production techniques and pre-fits make them more and more like AR rifles where the user can basically buy a rifle or receiver and add / modify their barrel, trigger, stock, etc.

Any other design would be fruitless, my only question is what took them so long?

Unckebob

WKR
You go first
The 110 was released in 63.
None of savages line from 1958 exist
Every conceivable part on the 1963 110 has been changed and only the name remains.
For a fanboy you know very little about your favorite brand.

That's weak sauce. He was correct and you were wrong. The fact that they have updated the design over the years is not surprising. Nevertheless, it is the same basic design -> any changes to the barrel nut over the years have been immaterial.

For example,

amassi

WKR
That's weak sauce. He was correct and you were wrong. The fact that they have updated the design over the years is not surprising. Nevertheless, it is the same basic design -> any changes to the barrel nut over the years have been immaterial.

For example,

Sure and the f350 tremor is a model T. Same basic design

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Sure and the f350 tremor is a model T. Same basic design

I have seen a few Model T's . I am trying to remember how many inches wide that computer screen was on the dash, oh well.
I do believe a new Ford has a few more changes than a Salvage action has changed, but maybe not!

• Haha
Reactions: B23

Ral8000

FNG
Classified Approved
Very good biz move on the part of weatherby. It gets them into the 'builder' side of the rifle market, while maintaining a very moderate price for the consumer, given the great and established name behind these actions. I'm stoked about it and going to buy one. Cheers.