Weatherby Model 307 (“New” Action for Weatherby)

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Anxious to see what the thoughts are on the actions. At that price point they’re pretty intriguing. The actual rifle options don’t do much for me though.

Kind of a cheap move by Weatherby if you ask me. Not really interested. I’ve had quite a few 700’s or clones now and still prefer my Savage actions for the three position safety located in a more logical place, and the accutrigger. If Bansner made stocks to fit Savage actions, I’d probably stop right there.

At least in the case of this 307 action, they fixed the 2.80" limit on the SA box (something Savage did long ago) and the need for two different kinds of bases/rings. Looks like it will share the same base/rings with the new Savage Ultralight, using 8/40 screws.

Everything is getting more Savage all the time. LOL

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
It would be nice to have an alternative to Fierce in the US manufacturing market. I still haven’t tried the Browning rifles.

While I've never owned one, from all the reading I've done I would say browning makes the best off the shelf rifle, next to Tikka in terms of what you get for your money.

But, they have very little aftermarket support and I've heard a lot of gun smith's don't re barrel them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
If the street price of the bare action is $600 or less and it accepts prefits it could be pretty popular. Without those two things together I’m just going ARC Coup De Gras or Aero Solus. 70*/60* bolt throws, cheap.

OP
ndlawrence
Kind of a cheap move by Weatherby if you ask me. Not really interested. I’ve had quite a few 700’s or clones now and still prefer my Savage actions for the three position safety located in a more logical place, and the accutrigger. If Bansner made stocks to fit Savage actions, I’d probably stop right there.

At least in the case of this 307 action, they fixed the 2.80" limit on the SA box (something Savage did long ago) and the need for two different kinds of bases/rings. Looks like it will share the same base/rings with the new Savage Ultralight, using 8/40 screws.

Everything is getting more Savage all the time. LOL

Interesting… I’ve hated every savage action I’ve had with a passion. There aren’t many other actions out there that I wouldn’t prefer over Savage. The shoot well, but that’s it.

After decades of Weatherby pounding their chest about how much better their actions were than the competition, they've cloned the competition.

Pretty much my thoughts. It’s not “new”. It’s another 700 action.

Interesting… I’ve hated every savage action I’ve had with a passion. There aren’t many other actions out there that I wouldn’t prefer over Savage. The shoot well, but that’s it.
It's popular to hate Savage actions, here in particular. But it's funny how many rifle manufacturers, including Remington, have essentially copied what Savage has been quietly doing for years. All while still not shooting any better, which is the whole point of a rifle in the first place.

I have tried many times to like Rem700's and clones better than my Savages but after a while I had to admit they didn't do anything better and many things not as good. I'm not trying to impress anyone (even myself) with what I carry in the field, and I can get a Savage action with a three position safety AND a trigger I like for around $300 any time I want one. And now that their factory stocks are adjustable, fit well and soak up recoil well, I have even less reason to look elsewhere. But, to each their own as they say.

You know, I think I'll head to the range and go shoot my Savage rifles now that I think about it. :D

B23

WKR
Savage makes it easy to hate their centerfires. Not so much because they shoot bad but because their receivers are just so damn fugly. Owning a Savage centerfire rifle is like dating a fat girl or riding a moped, both are fun to ride, you just don't want anyone to see you do it.

Savage makes it easy to hate their centerfires. Not so much because they shoot bad but because their receivers are just so damn fugly. Owning a Savage centerfire rifle is like dating a fat girl or riding a moped, both are fun to ride, you just don't want anyone to see you do it.
Like I said, you're not cool here unless you hate on Savages.

BTW, Savage receivers and these new Weatherby 700 clones share the same steel cylinder dimensions. Savage SA receivers were 3.00 before it was cool. But carry on with the hate. LOL

If the street price of the bare action is $600 or less and it accepts prefits it could be pretty popular. Without those two things together I’m just going ARC Coup De Gras or Aero Solus. 70*/60* bolt throws, cheap.
Have you felt a solus? I was intrigued at first but the ones on YouTube the bolt sound makes me think it’s gonna be unimpressive. Plus a post on a forum about one failing to headspace turned out that aero hadn’t finish cutting the bolt lmao.

The CDG seems neat, but the 899 is intro price right? I’m turned off by ARCs inability to test currently offered triggers in their actions every release has trigger issues, in this one last I checked you can’t use a super700. Plus teds attitude towards customers online is a major turn off to me.

Long story short I feel like the 750 it’s listed on their site is decently competitive for the market they are going for, if they can keep the supply up. Plus if it goes to dropshippers no doubt you’ll be able to get it under 700

Do you genuinely believe that people “hate” Savages because of some arcane, nonsense reason like “it’s cool to”? You don’t think it could possibly be that there are real reasons for people not preferring them?
Most folks just say "they're ugly" while also fawning over Tikkas. LOL

But list your reasons if you'd like.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Most folks just say "they're ugly" while also fawning over Tikkas. LOL

But list your reasons if you'd like.

First, I don’t hate anything. I have used Savages extensively. And I am not talking about a one off thing, I am speaking to using them right next to other rifles in typical mountain hunting weather and conditions, and seeing their consistent failures compared to others. The barrel nut is no longer the advantage it was with shouldered prefits available, and Savages have an objectively less reliable trigger, feeding, extraction and ejection than other common rifles.
When they were they only sub $700 rifle that would shoot decently they made a lot of sense. That’s not the case anymore.

“Accuracy” that is precision, is only one part of a rifle, and nearly every modern rifle shoots well from a Ruger American to a Blaser. Reliability and function matter as much for a field rifle, and that’s were Savages fail. Hunting from a deer stand where the rifle sees only a padded safe, to a padded case, to sitting on a rest, back to case and safe- maybe not. However, this is a western mountain hunting site, and when viewed from that lens Savages leave a lot to be desired.

One, is general function. They tend to show issues with extremely rough feeding, commonly have extraction and ejection problems, and bolt bind when rechambering quickly. That is just in a clean environment, their reliability in dusty, sandy, and icy environments just exasperates those issue. Their triggers also don’t do well in those same dusty/sandy/icy environments.

My experience from seeing dozens of Savages used is that when practicing and shooting in typical dusty mountain conditions for a week, that previously “perfect” functioning Savages will start having feed/function issues within a couple hours and less than a hundred rounds of shooting on the first day. By the start of the second day with some dust or snow/ice and 100’ish rounds most will no longer go through a full magazine or two without a malfunction. By the end of of day two nearly all will need to be broken down and detail cleaned to bring them back to working order.
Howa’s in the same conditions right beside the Savages will go about three days before having some feeding issues, Remington based actions are all over the map from not working at the start to triggers failing in a couple of days. Contrast that with Tikkas, Sako TRG’s, Blasers, and from what I’ve seen so far- Sauer 100’s, feeding and functioning correctly without fail for weeks/months of that same use.

First, I don’t hate anything. I have used Savages extensively. And I am not talking about a one off thing, I am speaking to using them right next to other rifles in typical mountain hunting weather and conditions, and seeing their consistent failures compared to others. The barrel nut is no longer the advantage it was with shouldered prefits available, and Savages have an objectively less reliable trigger, feeding, extraction and ejection than other common rifles.
When they were they only sub $700 rifle that would shoot decently they made a lot of sense. That’s not the case anymore.

“Accuracy” that is precision, is only one part of a rifle, and nearly every modern rifle shoots well from a Ruger American to a Blaser. Reliability and function matter as much for a field rifle, and that’s were Savages fail. Hunting from a deer stand where the rifle sees only a padded safe, to a padded case, to sitting on a rest, back to case and safe- maybe not. However, this is a western mountain hunting site, and when viewed from that lens Savages leave a lot to be desired.

One, is general function. They tend to show issues with extremely rough feeding, commonly have extraction and ejection problems, and bolt bind when rechambering quickly. That is just in a clean environment, their reliability in dusty, sandy, and icy environments just exasperates those issue. Their triggers also don’t do well in those same dusty/sandy/icy environments.

My experience from seeing dozens of Savages used is that when practicing and shooting in typical dusty mountain conditions for a week, that previously “perfect” functioning Savages will start having feed/function issues within a couple hours and less than a hundred rounds of shooting on the first day. By the start of the second day with some dust or snow/ice and 100’ish rounds most will no longer go through a full magazine or two without a malfunction. By the end of of day two nearly all will need to be broken down and detail cleaned to bring them back to working order.
Howa’s in the same conditions right beside the Savages will go about three days before having some feeding issues, Remington based actions are all over the map from not working at the start to triggers failing in a couple of days. Contrast that with Tikkas, Sako TRG’s, Blasers, and from what I’ve seen so far- Sauer 100’s, feeding and functioning correctly without fail for weeks/months of that same use.
You certainly have a lot of experience. I guess I've just been lucky that in all my seasons in typical dusty, snowy, rainy, frozen mountain conditions for up to 2 weeks straight, I've never once had a problem with any Savage rifle I've taken with me. Thank goodness for dumb luck.

Funny how all these sub-MOA production rifles nowdays have borrowed from Savage in one way or another though.

I can't believe people would take a rifle with only a 2-position safety that doesn't lock up the bolt into the conditions you describe. One reason I got away from 700's was that more than once, I found my bolt had been partially opened when the bolt handle hung up on some brush I was crawling through. That is unsettling and doesn't have to happen. Just a flick of my thumb and my Savages go from full lock up, to fire. I like that.

Well, back to the Weatherby clone... I'm sure that the buildable action will appeal. Wonder what thread pattern the action has and if the barrel will take 700 pattern bolts or the user will have to special order recessed barrels for the M16 style extractor. If they thread it the same as Savage, at least you could find cheap used barrels that shoot 3/4 MOA whenever you feel like it. :D

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You certainly have a lot of experience. I guess I've just been lucky that in all my seasons in typical dusty, snowy, rainy, frozen mountain conditions for up to 2 weeks straight, I've never once had a problem with any Savage rifle I've taken with me. Thank goodness for dumb luck.

I don’t think it’s dumb luck, it’s relative, which is why I try not to make conclusions off of one offs. I do get to see all these rifles used side by side and there are lots times they all work fine generally. However, when things do start going wrong, there’s a theme to which rifles/actions/triggers start showing issues first.

I might pick up a Savage and use it this summer and document what happens.

Funny how all these sub-MOA production rifles nowdays have borrowed from Savage in one way or another though.

I’m not sure what that means, or why it matters? What things have manufacturers copied on a large scale from Savage? It isn’t the barrel nuts, shouldered prefits are much more popular. It isn’t floating bolt heads, only a few use them.

I can't believe people would take a rifle with only a 2-position safety that doesn't lock up the bolt into the conditions you describe. One reason I got away from 700's was that more than once, I found my bolt had been partially opened when the bolt handle hung up on some brush I was crawling through. That is unsettling and doesn't have to happen. Just a flick of my thumb and my Savages go from full lock up, to fire. I like that.

That is spot on. There is no advantage to a bolt that isn’t locked closed when on safe.

Unckebob

WKR
It's popular to hate Savage actions, here in particular. But it's funny how many rifle manufacturers, including Remington, have essentially copied what Savage has been quietly doing for years. All while still not shooting any better, which is the whole point of a rifle in the first place.

I have tried many times to like Rem700's and clones better than my Savages but after a while I had to admit they didn't do anything better and many things not as good. I'm not trying to impress anyone (even myself) with what I carry in the field, and I can get a Savage action with a three position safety AND a trigger I like for around $300 any time I want one. And now that their factory stocks are adjustable, fit well and soak up recoil well, I have even less reason to look elsewhere. But, to each their own as they say.

You know, I think I'll head to the range and go shoot my Savage rifles now that I think about it. :D

I have wondered how a cloned Axis ii would do in the market with the following features:
1) Tighter tolerances allowing for no nut prefits,
2) TriggerTech Trigger,
3) a really good barrel,
4) better ejection, and
5) stainless steal only.

I don’t think it’s dumb luck, it’s relative, which is why I try not to make conclusions off of one offs. I do get to see all these rifles used side by side and there are lots times they all work fine generally. However, when things do start going wrong, there’s a theme to which rifles/actions/triggers start showing issues first.

I might pick up a Savage and use it this summer and document what happens.

I’m not sure what that means, or why it matters? What things have manufacturers copied on a large scale from Savage? It isn’t the barrel nuts, shouldered prefits are much more popular. It isn’t floating bolt heads, only a few use them.

That is spot on. There is no advantage to a bolt that isn’t locked closed when on safe.
Your experiences are sure curious to me. To get the kind of experience you speak of, you must either hunt or guide dozens of hunts/year in extreme conditions among people that don't take particularly good care of their equipment.

Why does it matter? Because Savage should be given credit for their innovations that have been copied by every other manufacturer. I admire companies that develop industry standard equipment. Those that just copy them, not so much. And yes, it is the barrel nut, floating bolt head and accutrigger. I'm not sure why you give the credit for those things to anyone else.

There is an advantage to a bolt that is locked closed when on safe. Why else would several manufacturers develop this feature? At the very least, it's not a disadvantage. Give me a reason a 2 stage safety that does not secure the bolt is an advantage.

I'd love to know where do you come up with some of your absolute declarations. Sometimes you act as if nobody else has ever carried a rifle into the mountains or forests, let alone for 5 decades.

If you picked up a Savage and used it this summer, I really question whether you'd be able to offer an objective opinion based on several things you posted above.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Your experiences are sure curious to me. To get the kind of experience you speak of, you must either hunt or guide dozens of hunts/year in extreme conditions among people that don't take particularly good care of their equipment.

I am not a guide, but I am around people who take shooting and hunting seriously, and lots of them measure their time hunting every year in months, not days. My annual ammo expenditure is measured in pallets, not boxes, and I can shoot to farther than any scope can adjust nearly from my front door.

No one I’m around is spending an hour each day wiping their guns down because they got some dirt on them, and no one cares about brands. I use what proves to work the best with the least amount of issues, and because of how much I see things get used, those differences are stark.

Why does it matter? Because Savage should be given credit for their innovations that have been copied by every other manufacturer. I admire companies that develop industry standard equipment. Those that just copy them, not so much. And yes, it is the barrel nut, floating bolt head and accutrigger. I'm not sure why you give the credit for those things to anyone else.

Please point out where I have written about credit to anyone, for anything? I do not consider the barrel nut, floating bolt, or accutrigger to be that noteworthy, as they are all comprises that have no real advantage.

There is an advantage to a bolt that is locked closed when on safe. Why else would several manufacturers develop this feature? At the very least, it's not a disadvantage. Give me a reason a 2 stage safety that does not secure the bolt is an advantage.

You should reread what I wrote.

I'd love to know where do you come up with some of your absolute declarations. Sometimes you act as if nobody else has ever carried a rifle into the mountains or forests, let alone for 5 decades.

I come up with them through actual use. Lots, and lots of use. Again, months of snow and ice, months of dust, dirt, and sand. The worse the weather, the more I am out. Blue bird range days don’t do much for evaluations. That doesn’t mean that others don’t have experience. It just means that I can see the difference between gear pretty quick.

You have five decades of hunting the mountain west, ok- how many days a year? How many days a year with a Savage? What time of year and what are the usual weather conditions? How many rounds a year through a single Savage, and under what conditions are those rounds shot in?

This is not an argument from me- I’m actually asking so that I, or those reading can see what experience and usage each of us are coming from.

If you picked up a Savage and used it this summer, I really question whether you'd be able to offer an objective opinion based on several things you posted above.

What have I listed that you believe isn’t objective and can’t be proven on demand?