Weapons Soap Box Thread

I agree with BB. what ever you use to take your animal with as long as you have avoid hunter ethic it doesn't matter. I play the bet odds for getting a tag so it maybe bow muzzleloader or rifle anything that can get me in the woods with my boys is just fine with me. Just my 2 cents

7mag.

WKR
I have nothing against any weapon choice, and I enjoy shooting and hunting with them all. I primarily hunt with a rifle, but not always. As long as you are ethical, legal, and a decent person, you are welcome at my fire.

tstowater

WKR
I really don't like it when you guys play nice.:) Matt, I'm sorry but you didn't give these guys a chance to pick a battle. On a more serious note, hunters are a small fraction of the total population and we are tolerated by the majority and a major irritant to a very vocal minority who will go to no ends to stop us from hunting and thoroughly enjoy the enfighting by the various segments of the hunting population. We all pick the weapons we use for various reasons, personal or otherwise. As long as it is legal and appropriate, enjoy the experience and set a good example as there are those who really enjoy it when someone is the "slob hunter" who becomes the poster child for all of us.

I started hunting 8 years ago. I started off archery hunting for elk and rifle hunting for deer. I've stuck with archery for elk except for one season I went muzzleloading with my buddies. Four years ago my deer hunting group switched from modern for deer to muzzleloading to get away from the crowds and I will never look back. I continue to take my daughter out during modern so I get to hunt alot during the year :). I love archery because of the amazing experiences I have had getting so close to the animals even if I didn't have an opportunity to harvest. I guess I like archery and muzzleloader both because of the unique challenges they present. Having said that I'm not above using my rifle either as it's what I'm currently using for Spring bear this year and will hopefully get to use my rifle for Wyoming antelope if we get drawn. I already plan on taking my rifle to Alaska next year for my caribou hunt. I guess with all my rambling I'm just trying to say I love hunting and being proficient with multiple methods has given me more opportunity.

Randle

WKR
I really think the weapon of choice is just that, a choice, and as long as you practice and know your limits you should be respected as a hunter.
That is what sets this site apart in my opinion.
I have been successful with rifle and bow and I enjoy both, archery I can practice anytime I have the room to shoot 50 yards at home, It is relaxing to shoot in the evenings after work.

Randy

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I bow hunted for years until my shoulders start to give me trouble and I had to quit. I'm better now but I don't have a burning desire to pick it back up again. Maybe if I lived where the bow season was more pleasant to hunt or extended the season I would be more interested. Bottom line for me is I'm hunting to harvest animals and making that goal harder is not what I'm about.

Never really understood the hunting snobs. Killed my biggest deer and elk with a stick bow. But would of felt just as good about it with my 300 RUM! I would hunt with a toothpick if it extended my HUNTING season. If its legal and fair chase, I'm good with it.

Thats how i feel also, I hunt with a Bow, Muzzle Loader and Rifle. I like setting up and tuneing my bow, I have been reloading since the mid 70s when i was just a teenager and enjoy my muzzle loaders. I really like Kings slogan "Any Tag Any Time" I think it all makes me a better hunter. And if we are all in this deal together f and i have no doubt that if they are able stop me from hunting with a firearm my bow will be next.
Steve

Manosteel

WKR
Bow hunting is my first choice and lately my only choice but I started with rifle. I am teaching my kids how to hunt using the rifle and find it enjoyable. Like other have stated I don't understand hunter snobs, as long as you are out enjoying the hunt it really doesn't matter what weapon you use.

AndyB

WKR
Hunting means different things to different people, whether you take your animal from 500 yds with a hp rifle or 8yds with a selfbow we should all be united in todays world.

Lawnboi

WKR
Any ethical and fair means of taking game is good by me.

However I will say that IMO xbows should not be allowed during normal archery season except for disabled or handicapped hunters. Just my opinion though.

Lately iv been mainly doing only bow stuff. However after reading a lot on this site actually I must say I would like to get a new rifle and maybe a muzzleloader.

This forum also has a very wide spectrum of both bow and gun hunters which I think is great, unlike archerytalk or bowsite (which are sites I used to frequent more often till I discovered this one)

rodney482

WKR
I just love to hunt.. the weapon doesnt really matter.

I hunt with bow, crossbow, ML, Rifle, handgun, shotgun....

from moose to rabbits... love it all

I only hunt with spears and poison blow darts. This is a personal decision I made a few years ago after hunting with my bare hands proved to be too challenging.

groc426

FNG
I can only afford to hunt with a rifle, but hopefully in the future I'll be able to broaden my weapon choices so I can expand my season. I'll use just about any excuse to be outside and would find it hard to disrespect anyone else who has that same desire, despite their weapon of choice.

Bighorse

WKR
I think the concesus lies in the fact that we love the Backcountry. Whatever gets us out there and enjoying good quality habitat wins.

Slim Jim

WKR
I grew up rifle hunting only, then switched to a compound bow a few years ago and absolutely love it. I found my true passion. I love the early season in the high country, it's just a beautiful time of year to be in the wilderness. It makes the experience that much more enjoyable. That being said I still enjoy helping my buddies hunt during rifle season. There will come a day when I won't be able to draw my bow back and that's when I will have to change my weapon of choice. As long as I can hunt I'm happy. Whatever your choice is OK as long as its ethical and fair chase.