Water heater installation cost in mtn west

One of the guys that gave me a quote said that the sharkbite quick connects aren't to code and insurance wouldn't cover anything where those were used. I don't know if I believe that, but I did use them in a few places.
There’s no code that outright forbids their use, but they’re “known for a high failure rate” because any dingleberry with a water leak and $15 can go to Home Depot and squeeze a couple ragged-edged pipes together with one.
He’s probably right though, insurance companies don’t usually go out of their way to cover DIY project failures. Are those exposed or behind drywall?

OP
H
There’s no code that outright forbids their use, but they’re “known for a high failure rate” because any dingleberry with a water leak and $15 can go to Home Depot and squeeze a couple ragged-edged pipes together with one.
He’s probably right though, insurance companies don’t usually go out of their way to cover DIY project failures. Are those exposed or behind drywall?

Exposed. I made sure to crimp all connections that were behind the wall. I only used them in a few locations where I spliced copper to PEX and didn't want to mess with sweating since I hadn't done it for a long time

Sandy Utah has some exceptions where the home owner can do the work but is supposed to get a permit
That's pretty universal... And I do just about everything at my place myself.

I was referring to hiring a handyman and getting it permitted.

Exposed. I made sure to crimp all connections that were behind the wall. I only used them in a few locations where I spliced copper to PEX and didn't want to mess with sweating since I hadn't done it for a long time
That’s good, pretty standard practice for plumbers to do that when running a new PEX line too.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
That’s insane. In my part of Texas I pay about $350 for a standard 40 gallon install. I did like 5 in the last 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
We needed a new water heater a few months ago. Got a quote for a gas tankless... $13,500. I laughed at him. Ended up going with a 50 gallon gas for $2000.
We recently got a quote for a gas tankless in MN. He said for it to pass inspection we would need 2(3 bathrooms). The quote was over 25k. Easy pass.

OP
H
Done. Saved $2000 from the damned robbers. I haven't paid the permit fee yet, so I might just skip that. I think it's nearly 100% to code except the vent clearance from the floor joist but it was already installed like that previously.

Don't laugh too hard at my pipe management. PEX is tough to make it look nice without using tons of brackets and elbows.

1000000943.jpg1000000944.jpg

I put one in myself bought it from Lowe’s for 800$ in twin falls. Don’t need a permit in Idaho sold my place the following year.

Easiest job I ever did! No way would I pay 1800$ for a few hours of work!

Yup up in the pnw $1400-1800 is our price for standard water heater replacement. That includes labor, the tank, permit, and any parts to bring it up to code.
The state inspectors have a major hard on for plumbing and hvac companies the last few years too.
Side note: Highuintas I feel sorry for the poor sob that has to change that expansion tank out.

OP
H
Yup up in the pnw $1400-1800 is our price for standard water heater replacement. That includes labor, the tank, permit, and any parts to bring it up to code.
The state inspectors have a major hard on for plumbing and hvac companies the last few years too.
Side note: Highuintas I feel sorry for the poor sob that has to change that expansion tank out.

Ya there's not much room there for one. I was going to suspend on the right side from joists but didn't have enough hanger strap and needed water. It's just sitting on top the tank and there's a bit more space to pull it out than it looks in the picture. it can easily be moved later on

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Done. Saved $2000 from the damned robbers. I haven't paid the permit fee yet, so I might just skip that. I think it's nearly 100% to code except the vent clearance from the floor joist but it was already installed like that previously.

Don't laugh too hard at my pipe management. PEX is tough to make it look nice without using tons of brackets and elbows.

View attachment 700495View attachment 700496
i mean.. you saved money.. just close your eyes when you look at it.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Historically I do 90% +of my own work on everything, but I am currently living in a rental on a temporary assignment for work. The water heater went out a few months ago and the guy came out and charged $2300 for the new water heater + installation. Made me question what I'm doing for a living! Over $1000 profit for an hour of work and BSing with a tenant... seems like a good gig to me.

IDVortex

WKR
Historically I do 90% +of my own work on everything, but I am currently living in a rental on a temporary assignment for work. The water heater went out a few months ago and the guy came out and charged $2300 for the new water heater + installation. Made me question what I'm doing for a living! Over $1000 profit for an hour of work and BSing with a tenant... seems like a good gig to me.
Almost became a plumber in my younger years, then worked for one. I'm not a plumber anymore after that.

Weldor

WKR
Do home inspectors do a search for all permits pulled for a given property to compare against improvements they identify during their inspection?
No, most home inspectors I know here in AZ go to a weeklong class. That should tell you something. Their standard thing is " the tank is over tens years old should be replaced" or the roof is over 10 years old should be replaced. Aiways get a real home inspector. License contracor is your best friend.

tony

WKR
Are you checked for a permit when you buy one?
I went to the local hardware store and bought one.
Power off, drained it, lines off, old one out, reverse order for install.
I am not a plumber but found it easy.

Oh and make sure the tank is full before powering up again. I burnt an element up and had to replace one.
I may have used a shark bite or 2 as well. :cool:

I'm not gonna buy your house so your permit and insurance situation is irrelevant to me. But just looking out for ya, that foam insulation on the hot side needs to go. Too close to the hot vent. I assume that utility room has a floor drain too?

Generally.... Not a difficult task to do. If you don't have any shutoff valves conveniently placed at the inlet and outlet of the existing water heater, now would be the time to add those.

I wouldn't pull a permit. Thats just the dummy tax . There are several ways to do this installation. If you know how to solder copper pipe great, but you don't need to know how to do that to do this job. I would say pushlock/sharkbite fitting should be a last choice. Crimped Pex is good. Flexible rigid metal type connections are a great "in-between" that are dummy proof

For what it's worth... I just converted my house to a tankless, I paid $2,500 for the unit plus installation (I did not skimp on the unit, I bought very high quality). Plumber is a good friend that I worked for through college, but I know he still made a profit at that price.

Some of the prices on this thread made me pucker.