Walk-in Dall Sheep List

Hey everyone! I'm going on my first sheep hunt this year and would love to have some fellow Rokslider's critique my list. We've got a ~18 mile walk, so weight is of the upmost importance. My lighterpack list is below. I have a lot of "place holders" in that list trying to find new ways to drop weight.

Some considerations I'm thinking about:
-I just picked up a Terminus 7000 so I'm testing that out before leaving my 6900 xcurve at home
-subbing my ~5oz long johns for puffy bottoms for a weight savings of around 8 oz
-taking the marsupial gear spotter cover off for a weight savings of 8oz (IIRC)
-I'm hoping to drop another 8ish oz from my kill it by purchasing a lighter knife and using fewer game bags
-Will likely be splitting my partner's nallo 3gt, unsure of weight, but using mountain star as placeholder.

Feel free to poke holes in my list, give suggestions, critique gear choices, etc. etc. I'm genuinely looking for as much help as I can get!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm going on my first sheep hunt this year and would love to have some fellow Rokslider's critique my list. We've got a ~18 mile walk, so weight is of the upmost importance. My lighterpack list is below. I have a lot of "place holders" in that list trying to find new ways to drop weight.

Some considerations I'm thinking about:
-I just picked up a Terminus 7000 so I'm testing that out before leaving my 6900 xcurve at home
-subbing my ~5oz long johns for puffy bottoms for a weight savings of around 8 oz
-taking the marsupial gear spotter cover off for a weight savings of 8oz (IIRC)
-I'm hoping to drop another 8ish oz from my kill it by purchasing a lighter knife and using fewer game bags
-Will likely be splitting my partner's nallo 3gt, unsure of weight, but using mountain star as placeholder.

Feel free to poke holes in my list, give suggestions, critique gear choices, etc. etc. I'm genuinely looking for as much help as I can get!

Looks pretty good honestly. I would ditch the 2nd battery charger and only bring one. For clothes I set up my layers where if it was super cold I would be wearing everything I brought besides my extra socks, then just layer according to the weather. Gatorade bottles are good substitutes for Nalgene. You didn’t get into food really, but I only bring one freeze dried per day for dinner. 3 game bags should be enough. I bring newspaper to stuff in my boots at night to dry them and it’s decent reading material. Outdoor edge is a good light knife option. Just my two cents, but you look dialed.

Kifaru sleeping bag is ridiculously heavy.
In comparison, my Feathered Friends Tanager 19f weighs 19 oz vs 60 oz.

SG Sky tarp is also heavy. I’d consider it more of a standalone shelter type tarp, as opposed to an ultralight glassing tarp. Even the Hilleberg Tarp 5 weighs 9 oz less than the SG, not to mention one made of DCF.

I’d cut both those items and replace with other options, as you could save over 3 lbs right there.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've been partial to my milsurp nylon rain poncho.. glassing shelter, meat tarp, additional ground sheet, and you can put it on over yourself and your pack for those mountain showers. It comes with on every hunt for 12oz or so I believe it is... I would also split the spotter and tripod between you's both as well.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I see you have CR2 batteries "for binos" but I don't see any binos on the list. Intentional? Otherwise, like BR_AK says above, the sleeping bag is the only thing that I might try to opt out. Good Luck on your hunt!!

chasewild

WKR
Take this for what it's worth, but you can certainly cut a ton of weight with an item-by-item overhaul.

1. Cook system -- the jetboil stove is super heavy. You could cut an easy 4 ounces with a Soto.
2. SG Dehavilands -- you can save 6ish oz here with the Lites and be more comfortable.
3. Kuiu zip offs -- get rid of them.
4. Headlamp Batteries - I bring two total for 12 days.
5. Filter - I rarely even treat water in AK, but area contingent. Just use tabs.
6. SG Tarp - cut it or find a replacement.
7. SOL Bivvy - cut it.
8. Game bags - Sheep don't need five. Maybe 3 max.
9. Chargers -- cut one.

I'm far from an expert but here's some ideas.

Get a lighter sleeping pad. There are a lot of options that can cut at least 8oz.
Same with sleeping bags. A lot of options and you can cut another 16oz+.
Ditch the long johns. you won't need them when you're moving and you can use your puffy gear when stationary.
Ditch the SG tarp, it's super heavy. Either find a lighter tarp or reinforce the corners and sides of your tyvec to serve double duty.
you only need 2 game bags, 3 at the most.
Ditch the SOL bivy. The point is to be light weight and always have your gear on your back. However, if you plan to leave your tent behind at any point it may be valuable to keep with you.

OP
carsonkeys
Kifaru sleeping bag is ridiculously heavy.
In comparison, my Feathered Friends Tanager 19f weighs 19 oz vs 60 oz.

SG Sky tarp is also heavy. I’d consider it more of a standalone shelter type tarp, as opposed to an ultralight glassing tarp. Even the Hilleberg Tarp 5 weighs 9 oz less than the SG, not to mention one made of DCF.

I’d cut both those items and replace with other options, as you could save over 3 lbs right there.
The Kifaru bag is disgustingly heavy and I’m not overly impressed with it. Truth be told, the only reason I’m not bringing a down bag is fear.

I’m dipping my toes into down by using the SG puffy suit as a litmus test to potentially buying one of their bags next year. Worst comes to worse I can always dry it in my bag, is my thinking.

The general consensus is the SG tarp is a no-go, so I’ll be ditching that.

I look at your list quite a bit so appreciate your insight.

OP
carsonkeys
I've been partial to my milsurp nylon rain poncho.. glassing shelter, meat tarp, additional ground sheet, and you can put it on over yourself and your pack for those mountain showers. It comes with on every hunt for 12oz or so I believe it is... I would also split the spotter and tripod between you's both as well.
I have one sitting in my garage. I didn’t realize it was 12 oz.

Yes absolutely on the spotter and tripod.

OP
carsonkeys
I see you have CR2 batteries "for binos" but I don't see any binos on the list. Intentional? Otherwise, like BR_AK says above, the sleeping bag is the only thing that I might try to opt out. Good Luck on your hunt!!
Somewhat intentional. My binos are the vortex fury’s, but I’m testing a few different harnesses. When I decide I’ll add those in as “worn”.

Now that you mention it, packing two extra batteries is stupid.

OP
carsonkeys
Take this for what it's worth, but you can certainly cut a ton of weight with an item-by-item overhaul.

1. Cook system -- the jetboil stove is super heavy. You could cut an easy 4 ounces with a Soto.
2. SG Dehavilands -- you can save 6ish oz here with the Lites and be more comfortable.
3. Kuiu zip offs -- get rid of them.
4. Headlamp Batteries - I bring two total for 12 days.
5. Filter - I rarely even treat water in AK, but area contingent. Just use tabs.
6. SG Tarp - cut it or find a replacement.
7. SOL Bivvy - cut it.
8. Game bags - Sheep don't need five. Maybe 3 max.
9. Chargers -- cut one.
1- I toyed with the UL cook system that @AK Troutbum mentioned, but could never find a decent pot. I also knocked it over a few times. There’s a new fire maple pot that looks promising and would fit perfectly onto the fins of a BRS stove. I’ll continue to refine here.

2 - I’ve toyed with this idea many times and very well may pull the trigger.

3- done.

4- is two batteries the entire headlamp worth? The four is one full replacement set up, but may be excessive?

5- will do. Thanks.

6- seems to be the sentiment of almost everybody so will be finding something different!

7- packing my fears again. Done. Thanks.

8- I couldn’t quite figure out exactly how many I needed. I’ll update the list to three👍🏻

9- yes agreed there! One of them should’ve been zeroed out and used as a placeholder but may have screwed it up.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have one sitting in my garage. I didn’t realize it was 12 oz.

Yes absolutely on the spotter and tripod.
If you get the army issued one (the real heavy duty one) that's going to weigh significantly more. I've got one of each and I'll try to dig the army one out of the kids closet for comparison. The one im talking about folds up about the size of a t shirt. I don't want to steer you down the wrong path since there are a few variants

OP
carsonkeys
I'm far from an expert but here's some ideas.

Get a lighter sleeping pad. There are a lot of options that can cut at least 8oz.
Same with sleeping bags. A lot of options and you can cut another 16oz+.
Ditch the long johns. you won't need them when you're moving and you can use your puffy gear when stationary.
Ditch the SG tarp, it's super heavy. Either find a lighter tarp or reinforce the corners and sides of your tyvec to serve double duty.
you only need 2 game bags, 3 at the most.
Ditch the SOL bivy. The point is to be light weight and always have your gear on your back. However, if you plan to leave your tent behind at any point it may be valuable to keep with you.
One of my least favorite things is being cold while sleeping, but I could look into a different pad potentially.

I’m worried about bringing down, but damn is that slick bag beefy.

Done on the long johns. Thanks for the advice!

Tarp is also gone. I really like the idea of using the tyvek I already have and am going to look into that. Are you just grommeting the corners?

I think I’ll bring three and take notes on if I use the third. However, there is a great improvement compared to five!

Done on the sol bivy as well. Packing my fears for sure.

Last edited:
The Kifaru bag is disgustingly heavy and I’m not overly impressed with it. Truth be told, the only reason I’m not bringing a down bag is fear.

I’m dipping my toes into down by using the SG puffy suit as a litmus test to potentially buying one of their bags next year. Worst comes to worse I can always dry it in my bag, is my thinking.

The general consensus is the SG tarp is a no-go, so I’ll be ditching that.

I look at your list quite a bit so appreciate your insight.
I've definitely been in that position, packing fears at the expense of weight. However if you are not willing to go to down, you might try an Enlightened Equipment Engima 30 Apex Synthetic. Mine served me well for several years and weighs less than 30 oz. A 20 degree bag for early season sheep hunts is not necessary, as you have layers you could add to your sleep system. I have a 50 degree Nunatak Sastrugi overbag that I am considering using this August, combined with layers I have, for an ultralight sleep system. I'll be testing it this summer of course.

JohnB

WKR
I've never sheep hunted so take this with a grain of salt but you may consider bringing a bino adaptor to use your binos from your tripod.

You may also want to add some trekking poles.

Also like I've said, I've never sheep hunted but I'm certain you ought to bring some bullets too but they aren't on your list.

One of my least favorite things is being cold while sleeping, but I could look into a different pad potentially.

I’m worried about bringing down, but damn is that slick bag beefy.

Done on the long johns. Thanks for the advice!

Tarp is also gone. I really like the idea of using the tyvek I already have and am going to look into that. Are you just grommeting the corners?

I think I’ll bring three and take notes on if I use the third. However, there is a great improvement compared to five!

Done on the sol bivy as well. Packing my fears for sure.
Yes, add grommets to the corners, you can find DIY tutorials online even some on this site for making Tyvek tarps. Most also recommend running the tyvek through a wash cycle or two to soften the material and reduce the noise.

OP
carsonkeys
I've definitely been in that position, packing fears at the expense of weight. However if you are not willing to go to down, you might try an Enlightened Equipment Engima 30 Apex Synthetic. Mine served me well for several years and weighs less than 30 oz. A 20 degree bag for early season sheep hunts is not necessary, as you have layers you could add to your sleep system. I have a 50 degree Nunatak Sastrugi overbag that I am considering using this August, combined with layers I have, for an ultralight sleep system. I'll be testing it this summer of course.
Man, at $250 ($8/oz) that’s a cheap way for me to shave a lot of weight. Thank you very much for that suggestion. Did you have issues with the 10d exterior? Considering the possibility of siwashing, should I spring for the custom 20d exterior?