Alaskan Sheep Hunt Pack List. 14 days, self supported.

I carry 3 in the rifle and an extra 10 rounds in my hip pouch. worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

I carry three cartridges in the magazine, three in each front pocket of my pants, and six cartridges on my packframe, for a total of fifteen. Piece of mind.

SwiftShot

WKR
I carry 3 in the rifle and an extra 10 rounds in my hip pouch. worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

Took Crocs on my first hunt on the advice of a buddy, and I'll never not take them. Worth every ounce to slip the boots off after a full day of hiking with a heavy pack and let the feet breath in some comfy camp shoes. I just want to know where you got a pair that only weighs 8oz?? mine weigh 15oz
CERYTHRINA Garden Shoes Clogs Sandals Quick Drying Slippers Walking Lightweight Rain Beach Summer Pool Water Shoes Girl Ladies Breathable Footwear for Women Men https://a.co/d/jffLTDu

Amazon. 15 bucks and light
Just weighed them 7.6 OZ for the pair.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the Lighter Pack gear list for my upcoming sheep hunt.
It will be a 14 days and a packraft will be used for paddling Class 2 water.
Undisclosed range, early to mid August in Alaska.

Updated with prices. Prices now redacted! Too many people get hung up on the prices, rather than the weight, which is the most important aspect of this list.

https://lighterpack.com/r/70gsbt
Good luck on your hunt Ben! Stay safe and I hope you have a heavy load out.

Rainman89

FNG
Saving weight by taking only 5 rounds of ammo is the stupidest thing I’ve read on the internet this month. Thank you for that lol.

Why not save weight by not taking rain gear or maybe wearing running shoes instead of boots!!!! That’s how dumb that idea is.
Phew, right? Risk all that time/expense for weight savings over a fix for a very possible problem on a hunt.....

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Which model Alpacka packraft and what is the Size and weight? I didn’t see it in the gear list. Thanks 😎
The list is a living document haha. Plans got changed last minute and I've been adjusting the list as I go. I use an Alpacka Classic with whitewater deck, thigh straps and Ti Zip storage. Its right at 9 lbs, plus an Aquabound Shred carbon paddle thats 38 oz.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
The list is a living document haha. Plans got changed last minute and I've been adjusting the list as I go. I use an Alpacka Classic with whitewater deck, thigh straps and Ti Zip storage. Its right at 9 lbs, plus an Aquabound Shred carbon paddle thats 38 oz.
Awesome that’s the same packraft set-up I have lol, I have one in a size small and one medium! The one in the picture is a size small and it was made in Canada by Feathercraft for Alpacka back when they had their business in Alaska

Attachments

• AD3A9E4B-909E-4C44-8F02-EF9BDC34E793.jpeg
    AD3A9E4B-909E-4C44-8F02-EF9BDC34E793.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 71

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider

This was really helpful for me to see what an experienced hunter actually uses, and get some reality checks to some of the internet claims out there.

To this end, I tweaked a few things in my pack, and actually weighed it out in bits before my coming mountain hunt. I was pleasantly surprised that I'm right in the same ball park
Notable differences:

- I eat a lot, 1.9lbs/day. And, I basically don't bring carbs, only fat and protein with wild game meat sticks, cheese, jerky, nut trail mix, Next Mile keto freeze dried meals, a few Rx bars. I'm at 13.7 lbs of food for only 1 week, not 2.

- Somehow my kill kit weighs a lot more... 2.8lbs with the same Argali game bags, a havalon and an argali knife, etc

- a 6.1lb stone glacier pack is not actually "lightweight"

In the end I'm at a similar spot, 62lbs total (skin out) weight, for a hike in AK big game hunt.
I think this is 12+ lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago.

_

Do you carry a pfd for your packraft? How do you carry your paddle?

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
This was really helpful for me to see what an experienced hunter actually uses, and get some reality checks to some of the internet claims out there.

To this end, I tweaked a few things in my pack, and actually weighed it out in bits before my coming mountain hunt. I was pleasantly surprised that I'm right in the same ball park
Notable differences:

- I eat a lot, 1.9lbs/day. And, I basically don't bring carbs, only fat and protein with wild game meat sticks, cheese, jerky, nut trail mix, Next Mile keto freeze dried meals, a few Rx bars. I'm at 13.7 lbs of food for only 1 week, not 2.

- Somehow my kill kit weighs a lot more... 2.8lbs with the same Argali game bags, a havalon and an argali knife, etc

- a 6.1lb stone glacier pack is not actually "lightweight"

In the end I'm at a similar spot, 62lbs total (skin out) weight, for a hike in AK big game hunt.
I think this is 12+ lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago.

_

Do you carry a pfd for your packraft? How do you carry your paddle?

I’m constantly changing my actual gear load out and that Lighter Pack list, based on the needs of the hunt. I always bring a PFD if I’m going to be paddling a moving body of water. Paddle is 4 piece that breaks apart and goes inside the pack. If I have an animal inside and run out of space, the PFD and paddle can be pretty easily strapped to the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
I am reading these posts to learn. Looking at your list for a trip that long, I was surprised you weren't taking a second pair of socks and underwear.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I am reading these posts to learn. Looking at your list for a trip that long, I was surprised you weren't taking a second pair of socks and underwear.
Not sure how that list is looking precisely right now, but I normally take one extra pair of wool socks. I've recently switched to Merino boxers and don't find the need to bring a second pair if it's a trip under a week.

Just got one of eBay for ~ 12 bucks. It’s half the size (or less) of my pocket rocket deluxe.

I’ve been using mine exclusively for the last 8 years or so without any issues. I bought a second one several years ago as a backup in case my original one fails, but I have yet to even attach it to a fuel canister.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been using mine exclusively for the last 8 years or so without any issues. I bought a second one several years ago as a backup in case my original one fails, but I have yet to even attach it to a fuel canister.

Awesome to know they are reliable. I realize it’s a fairly simple piece of equipment but the price did make me wonder about long term durability.

I was actually shocked how small it was when it arrived.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider

Updated with prices. Prices now redacted! Too many people get hung up on the prices, rather than the weight, which is the most important aspect of this list.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going in to the Frank for an elk hunt next month and am taking notes. Congrats on your ram.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Which RAB model name gloves are
Thanks for sharing. I'm going in to the Frank for an elk hunt next month and am taking notes. Congrats on your ram.
you using? Velocity or Cascade? Are they a stretchy nylon/polyamide and leather palm mix like materials? Are they waterproof? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I want to know what model RAB gloves you will be using when packrafting)? Thanks!

Great list thanks for sharing I’m going to be trying to cut some weight for sheep hunting this year.

I appreciate it!

Last edited:

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider

Nice gear list. I know this is an older thread but looking through it for some ideas to lighten my pack for an upcoming high country mule deer hunt. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. I see you carried (2) 4oz MSR Iso fuel bottles. Going to (1) 8oz would save about 2 oz. Is there a benefit to using the (2) smaller bottles? Maybe packability, or nesting one in your pot?

2. You mentioned getting a Durston X-Mid 1. How do you like it? That's one of the 3 tents on my list that I'm trying to decide between. (TT Stratospire 1, and Copper Spur UL1 are the others).

Thanks,
Aaron

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Nice gear list. I know this is an older thread but looking through it for some ideas to lighten my pack for an upcoming high country mule deer hunt. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. I see you carried (2) 4oz MSR Iso fuel bottles. Going to (1) 8oz would save about 2 oz. Is there a benefit to using the (2) smaller bottles? Maybe packability, or nesting one in your pot?

2. You mentioned getting a Durston X-Mid 1. How do you like it? That's one of the 3 tents on my list that I'm trying to decide between. (TT Stratospire 1, and Copper Spur UL1 are the others).

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
I carry two smaller canisters for a couple reasons. I have had a failure of a canister before, where the valve stuck open when I removed the stove and lost all of the fuel.
One canister nests inside the pot perfectly.
I can leave one canister behind if I am bivying out somewhere and going really light.

I used the X-Mid on one 10 day sheep hunt. It was really comfortable, but I found it was quite a challenge at times to find a suitable place to pitch it due to terrain and ground conditions. If I am going floorless now, I just go to my DCF Duomid, which is easier for me to set up in less than ideal locations and also performs better in the wind. The benefits of a freestanding tent are pretty big in terrain I often find myself in. Last year I used my Hilleberg Niak exclusively.