Alaskan Sheep Hunt Pack List. 14 days, self supported.

Here is a link to the Lighter Pack gear list for my upcoming sheep hunt.
It will be a 14 days and a packraft will be used for paddling Class 2 water.
Undisclosed range, early to mid August in Alaska.

Updated with prices. Prices now redacted! Too many people get hung up on the prices, rather than the weight, which is the most important aspect of this list.

https://lighterpack.com/r/70gsbt

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
Jealous of a few things on your list. Which HMG bottle holder/pocket is it?

How Do you like the duomid / solomid xl insert combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That seems like a very well thought out setup. Hopefully you don't have to carry the packraft far.

I would imagine I’ll be carrying it for 3 full days into a drainage I want to hunt out of. From there it will be spiking out into smaller drainages without it.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Great list. 14 days on 18 lbs of food is impressive. 1.3 lbs a day…. I’m gonna assume you know what you’re doing there, but that’s light.

It’s not much, but it’s caloric dense with lots of fats. I am pretty well fat adapted, both from my hunt training and winter ski mountaineering. Weighing 140 lbs and being 5’6 helps as well.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Jealous of a few things on your list. Which HMG bottle holder/pocket is it?

How Do you like the duomid / solomid xl insert combo?

I have no kids, 39, self employed and most importantly, an understanding & supportive wife!

It is the older style Hyperlite Mountain Gear Smart Water bottle holder.

I love the Duomid, especially after setting up a dual pole system so that the center pole is no longer right in the middle. It is a very storm worthy shelter and versatile. Being able to quickly erect it and then get inside with all your gear and with boots on is really nice.
The Solomid XL inner is a bit fiddly and doesnt hang quite as perfect as I would like, but its crucial when the mosquitos are bad.
I have a new Durston X-Mid 1p with the solid inner on order. If it arrives in time and I get a chance to test it out, it may come with me instead. However the Duomid works fine, I just like trying out new shelters.

Last edited:

AKMoose

WKR
Awesome list, Learned from it and went through and scanned my list after reading. Makes me contemplate my sleep system weight more than anything.

How do you like the PA18 pant from Barney's?

Best of luck on your sheep hunt and hope that packraft is heavy on the way out!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Awesome list, Learned from it and went through and scanned my list after reading. Makes me contemplate my sleep system weight more than anything.

How do you like the PA18 pant from Barney's?

Best of luck on your sheep hunt and hope that packraft is heavy on the way out!

The pants are perfect. Side vents. Great material that’s stretchy but still pretty durable. The fit is spot on. I’ve bought two pairs and will probably end up with more.
I hope it’s a heavy ass load too!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Nice list, thanks for sharing. I may haveto try one of the BRS stoves.
I don’t see how anyone could not! They are like $18 on Amazon and lighter than any other option. I took an old jet boil cup and used a cutting wheel to cut it down to hold about 12 oz of water. Then I spread the heat exchanger fins out in three spots, where the arms of the BRS stove fit up inside it. You get the efficiency of a jetboil at way less weight. I’ve tried a standard Ti cup with the stove as well, and that’s fine for a few days out, but after that you end up using more fuel than if I had the jetboil cup.

Redneck09

FNG
That’s way too much ammo to carry. You need 5 rounds max in my opinion. You are shooting a sheep. Not going to war with the sheep.

Goretex boots will be a disadvantage in august. It’s a good way to get stinky trench foot and blisters when your boots get wet from boggy ground or sweat and never dry because it’s goretex.

I would bring breathable, quick drying footwear and probably leave the crocks. Just cross rivers in my hiking footwear.

Crocks suck for crossing rivers.

We found that the BRS eats through fuel and is not the best in the wind. Some of the MSR stoves might do better.

Other choices are really good in my opinion. Solid choices in shelter and clothing.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Ammo: I've seen situations where more ammo than expected was needed when engaging a ram, due to wind. After someone has spent 10 days plus deep in the Alaska backcountry with numerous bears, while being solo, you can make the call wether a handful of bullets are all thats needed. Say you use a few on a ram (All of mine have been one shot kills, minus 1), a few to scare off a curious grizzly, your up to 6 rounds already. Then the possibility of a DLP situation. A friend was in this area a couple years ago. While he was paddling in a shallow river, a grizzly charged into the water after him. It turned out to be a bluff, but nevertheless. I normally bring 12. 18 may be overkill.

Crocs, or an equivalent, can be excellent for river crossings or packrafting, if you use a lacing method with a length of string. Any hunt in Alaska your boots are going to get wet, but atleast using Crocs, you can mitigate it somewhat.

The BRS, or any lightweight canister stove, is inefficient in the wind, hence the modified jetboil cup described above. Get those arms up inside a heat exchanger and you dont give up anything to a heavy, overbuilt, Jetboil or MSR.

Last edited:
I once had a client that emptied his .30-06 at a Dall ram (5 shots) at 50 yds and out to about 100 yds, and never even cut a hair, let alone hit it. Those were the only bullets he brought along that day. It takes all kinds, I guess (lol).

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I once had a client that emptied his .30-06 at a Dall ram (5 shots) at 50 yds and out to about 100 yds, and never even cut a hair, let alone hit it. Those were the only bullets he brought along that day. It takes all kinds, I guess (lol).

There are some areas you can skimp on.. but ammo is one thing I never want to run out of. I bet that guy wished he had more!... but probably a good thing that he didn't haha.

Antares

WKR
That’s way too much ammo to carry. You need 5 rounds max in my opinion. You are shooting a sheep. Not going to war with the sheep.

Yeah right, I'm going to do a 14-day solo sheep hunt with 5 rounds?!

I take 10 rounds on day hunts. It's not that heavy and shooting something is the objective, so why would you short yourself? What if you take a spill and want to check zero? What if you check zero and its way off? What if pesky camp bears need some warning shots? What if you need a follow-up shot (or two) on your sheep?

I'd probably take 13 rounds minimum on this trip (10 rounds in my ammo wallet and 3 rounds in the rifle). I think 18 is a fine number, lots of wiggle room there. Who wants to ruin a 14-day sheep hunt because you couldn't be bothered to pack an extra 6-10oz of ammo? I get it, ounces make pounds, but you can make do without a lot of things and ammo isn't one of them.

Redneck09

FNG
You guys make decent points but I would argue that there are a lot of things that would ruin that hunt but most likely it would be packing too much weight and not being prepared in some way. Also it takes 2 rounds to regain your zero. If you packed targets…I have never heard of anyone packing targets.

Anyway I pack 5 or 6 rounds. So that’s one of my suggestions to save weight. If it’s not worth the risk in your opinion then don’t do it. I also hunt and live in grizzly country and will be going out tomorrow for an overnight without a rifle at all.

Your arguments are logical if you want to pack that extra weight I won’t judge you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Saving weight by taking only 5 rounds of ammo is the stupidest thing I’ve read on the internet this month. Thank you for that lol.

Why not save weight by not taking rain gear or maybe wearing running shoes instead of boots!!!! That’s how dumb that idea is.

Saving weight by taking only 5 rounds of ammo is the stupidest thing I’ve read on the internet this month. Thank you for that lol.

Why not save weight by not taking rain gear or maybe wearing running shoes instead of boots!!!! That’s how dumb that idea is.

No kidding .....