Alaskan Sheep Hunt Pack List. 14 days, self supported.

OP going through your list its definitely useful and dialed in for you. I was curious what your reasoning is for 2 insulating layers (kenai hoody and nunatak pullover) as well as two mid layers (SG hoody and patagonia pullover) but only one short sleeve base layer? Or is the short sleeve for just in case its warmer and taken as a sort of extra?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
OP going through your list its definitely useful and dialed in for you. I was curious what your reasoning is for 2 insulating layers (kenai hoody and nunatak pullover) as well as two mid layers (SG hoody and patagonia pullover) but only one short sleeve base layer? Or is the short sleeve for just in case its warmer and taken as a sort of extra?
This is what I used for a cumulative 5 weeks of sheep hunting this year and what I will use going forward.

Dynafit Free Alpha Direct jacket (Mid to Outerlayer, similar to Sitka Ambient)
This is worn over a short sleeve base layer, a Stone Glacier merino Tee.
I wear this combo nearly the entire time, from 15f to 60f and windy.

Insulating layer is the Nunatak synthetic pullover.

I rarely take a second base layer.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Dynafit Free Alpha Direct jacket (Mid to Outerlayer, similar to Sitka Ambient)
This is worn over a short sleeve base layer, a Stone Glacier merino Tee.
I wear this combo nearly the entire time, from 15f to 60f and windy.

Do you find the Dynafit eliminates the need for a wind layer? If not, when are you packing the Airshed? Ambient has blocked breezes good but, haven’t been in any big winds.

Do you like the combination of materials in the Dynafit (alpha direct & grid fleece) as opposed to the Sitka Ambient? Ambient is a little warm when hiking. Maybe good for 35 and under. Curious if the material combo allows for more use

Have you looked at the Arcteryx Delta Hybrid hoody? I recently got this and I love it. A step down from the ambient, insulating and wind blocking wise which feels like it’ll be put more to use. But wondering if the Dynafit is more of a combination of the two, where it might eliminate the need for both of these.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Do you find the Dynafit eliminates the need for a wind layer? If not, when are you packing the Airshed? Ambient has blocked breezes good but, haven’t been in any big winds.

Do you like the combination of materials in the Dynafit (alpha direct & grid fleece) as opposed to the Sitka Ambient? Ambient is a little warm when hiking. Maybe good for 35 and under. Curious if the material combo allows for more use

Have you looked at the Arcteryx Delta Hybrid hoody? I recently got this and I love it. A step down from the ambient, insulating and wind blocking wise which feels like it’ll be put more to use. But wondering if the Dynafit is more of a combination of the two, where it might eliminate the need for both of these.
The Dynafit elimiates the need for an Airshed or similar wind blocking layer, which used to be a staple in my clothing system.

I have not used the Ambient, didnt like the boxy fit of the sleeves, but I do find that the combo of Alpha Direct and Grid of the Dynafit to be fantastic. I can definitely hike in temps in the 50's, as well as having used it extensively for splitboarding in the teens f. with only a merino T underneath. It sounds like the Ambient is a little less versatile in the temp range.

Have not looked at that Arcteryx piece. The Dynafit has been a great layer for me in eliminating multiple other layers and just being more comfortable at all times, rather than dealing with cold wind for extended periods of time while wearing a base layer or fleece and not wanting to stop to put on a wind blocking layer that I would probably then overheat in.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
The Dynafit elimiates the need for an Airshed or similar wind blocking layer, which used to be a staple in my clothing system.

Have not looked at that Arcteryx piece. The Dynafit has been a great layer for me in eliminating multiple other layers and just being more comfortable at all times, rather than dealing with cold wind for extended periods of time while wearing a base layer or fleece and not wanting to stop to put on a wind blocking layer that I would probably then overheat in.
Sounds like the perfect mid/wind layer for majority of what anyone is doing. I saw you put a lower temp of 15f earlier in the post. What would you add/change if you’re dropping into negative to single digits?

I have not used the Ambient, didnt like the boxy fit of the sleeves, but I do find that the combo of Alpha Direct and Grid of the Dynafit to be fantastic. I can definitely hike in temps in the 50's, as well as having used it extensively for splitboarding in the teens f. with only a merino T underneath. It sounds like the Ambient is a little less versatile in the temp range.
Agreed on the fit, especially the cuff. It definitely stretches out more than the initial baggy feeling as well. I love the comfort, but it is very warm for what it is too so I like the idea of the mapped wind coverage on the Dynafit as well as the more breathable grid in select areas.

Thanks for the info!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Sounds like the perfect mid/wind layer for majority of what anyone is doing. I saw you put a lower temp of 15f earlier in the post. What would you add/change if you’re dropping into negative to single digits?

Agreed on the fit, especially the cuff. It definitely stretches out more than the initial baggy feeling as well. I love the comfort, but it is very warm for what it is too so I like the idea of the mapped wind coverage on the Dynafit as well as the more breathable grid in select areas.

Thanks for the info!
Single digits and lower, absolutely would need additional layers, unless actively involved in Zone 3 or higher effort. I stand by the 15f-50f temp range of the Dynafit Free Alpha Direct, with a base layer T alone.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Single digits and lower, absolutely would need additional layers, unless actively involved in Zone 3 or higher effort. I stand by the 15f-50f temp range of the Dynafit Free Alpha Direct, with a base layer T alone.
Got it, thanks!

I’m curious what you go to for those additional layers specifically. Are you adding a grid or fleece type layer, shell or a lighter insulating piece? Just curious on your thought process for those cold temps