14 Day Stone Sheep Gear List - Resident DIY, Solo, Early August

mod7rem

FNG
I’ll share my sheep hunt food list for anyone interested. It’s taken a lot of trips to get to this point but I feel like I’ve got it dialed in very well for me.

Breakfast: 2 options all the same weight
Mountain House or PeakRefuel granola with berries. I add whey protein powder and coconut milk powder for extra fat and protein, plus add some more freeze dried berries.
Potato mash with veggie and meat (#10 can) I add extra freeze dried meat, coconut milk powder, freeze dried egg and freeze dried spinach flakes.

Lunch:
-1 Green Belly meal bar with beef jerky and dried fruit (heaviest meal of the day)

Dinner:
-PeakRefuel meal, or similar, with added coconut milk powder, extra freeze dried meat and spinach flakes.
7 dark choc covered almonds to finish.

I vacuum pack these meals using a FoodSaver and it cuts out a lot of packaging weight and bulk.

This weighs 1.4 lbs per day. The extra protein and fat prevents me from getting overly hungry and I don’t lose the muscle mass that I used to when I ate crappier food over the years.

OP
StopMakingSense
I stay around 1.8 lbs, I emphasize carbs as I tend to put down miles. I hit about 100 grams of protein per day to keep muscle mass in check. This is about 3k calories for 185 lbs of dude doing 15km a day usually. I do get hungry on my hunts but that's just part of the game. I put two days' worth of food per gallon zip lock bag. I also emphasize simplicity and ease of use without water. Mostly all of this can be eaten on the go without a stove or water. If the hunt was going to be really hot and water a concern I might switch the ProBar and Snickers bar for more chewable stuff like shot blocks, gummy bears, hard candies etc.. as you don't want to eat a floury meal when you haven't had water for 8 hours.

- Heather's choice dinner
- Heather's choice packaroon
- Package of jerky 150grams
- Haribo gummy bears package or sour patch kids
- Snickers bar
- Welch's Fruit Snacks, 6 packs
- Pop tart package
- 4x instant via packets light
- ProBar (Coconut or peanut butter chocolate)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll post mine for posterity sake :)

Mine comes out to almost 1.5 lbs/day- ~ 3200 calories/day

Breakfast is a concoction that I found on line- granola, powdered coconut oil, powdered peanut butter, powdered egg white, dried fruit, sliced almonds- just a little water, hot or cold (I like the hot better and I'm boiling water for coffee anyways). My coffee is Fat Fuel- coffee w/ powdered butter, powdered concur oil and MCT. Calories are ~ 700 (450 for the cereal, 250 for the Fat fuel)

Snacks- 2-3 bars (various), about 200- 250 cal a piece

Lunch- tortilla w/ peanut butter/honey/bacon, Fritos and a couple of snack sized Snickers ~ 800 calories

Supper- Peak refuel w/ a couple of olive oil packets ~ 1200

Getting ~ 100 grams of protein/day

im sure your list will get refined . ive been hunting sheep for 50 years so im fairly dialed in as to what i take. As to shelters i use a tent and take a siltarp which i use for those occasions should i be away from the tent a day or two. Not a big fan of bivi for sheep hunting myself and definatly wouldnt take a tarp and a bivi. I just returned from a 14 day sheep hunt for stones. my pack with rifle was 55 pounds.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
im sure your list will get refined . ive been hunting sheep for 50 years so im fairly dialed in as to what i take. As to shelters i use a tent and take a siltarp which i use for those occasions should i be away from the tent a day or two. Not a big fan of bivi for sheep hunting myself and definatly wouldnt take a tarp and a bivi. I just returned from a 14 day sheep hunt for stones. my pack with rifle was 55 pounds.
That’s a lot of miles in the mountains. Would love to hear what you take and anything you take that is maybe a bit unconventional that you wouldn’t be without.

That’s a lot of miles in the mountains. Would love to hear what you take and anything you take that is maybe a bit unconventional that you wouldn’t be without.
I'm not sure i would say the following two items are unconventional but they are items i always pack which are 3 x 4 liter plastic juice bottles for water. I press them flat and blow them out when i need them. As well i also pack super lite camp shoes. rest of my gear is fairly standard, My pack is a 5900 stone glacier with a ultra lite custom day pack attached instead of stone glacier pouches. Rest of my gear is lite weight fairly standard. I do sacrifice on food going lite on barely 10 pounds for the 14 days.