VPA, rust?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Have shot a vpa 3 blade the past 4 years and enjoy the flight, pass through ability and ease of sharpening they provide.

Only thing that's frustrating is they tend to rust fairly quickly requiring touch up on the edges frequently which is fine. But rust towards the collar as well which is a pain.

Anyone find a solution to this?

BBob

WKR
Starrett tool oil in aerosol can. It dries and leaves a protective coating.

Or Bostic Glide Coat or Boeshield T-9. Boeshield doesn’t dry completely like the Starrett does.

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Jeez, just looked it up, 162 bucks for a rattle cans worth. Sure it would last a lifetime, but Holy.

Nevermind, that is for a case, will look for a single can, thz again, sounds like it's what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
FWIW: Most of the time I spray the M1 on a rag or paper towel and wipe it down. The spray comes out a bit heavy for small stuff.

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Thz, are you leaving it on the blade edge or removing with a diamond stone or ceramic rod?

Wrench

WKR
I just shot mine with paint and wiped the cutting edge with the stone.

The edge will rust, but uber easy to clean up.

OR Archer

WKR
When I shot the old G5 Carbon Steel they’d do the same. After touching them up I put string wax on all the edges. Worked pretty good. And everyone has it lying around.

MattB

WKR
Had a guy recommend using a sharpie marker once upon a time for the polished section of the blades, anyone ever try that?

Wapiti1

WKR
Cold blue works pretty well, but paint is about as easy. There are tool wipes that work well too for machine shops to prevent rust between setups.

Jeremy