Vortex Razor gen 1 vs viper hd gen 2

HIPA39

FNG
I’m looking into buying a mid level spotting scope and trying to decide between the two. I can get the two for about the same price with the viper a tad cheaper. Is there any difference in glass quality? I prefer the sleeker design of the new viper, similar to the new razor.

Thanks

etasker

FNG
I would always say the razor glass is better than the viper. Not sure about the difference between gen 1 and 2 but i love my razor glass. Keep an eye out here in the classifieds. I got my razor 10x42 for $525

Call the Vortex guys. I would think the Razor glass is better too. A lot of guys liked those Razors.

OP
H

HIPA39

FNG
Yeah that’s a good idea, I guess they will be able to tell me how close the glass is between the two. My thoughts were just that maybe the new viper hd took over the gen1 razors glass when they came out with gen2 razor? I’ll be interested to see what they say. Thanks for the replies!

Forest

WKR
Yeah that’s a good idea, I guess they will be able to tell me how close the glass is between the two. My thoughts were just that maybe the new viper hd took over the gen1 razors glass when they came out with gen2 razor? I’ll be interested to see what they say. Thanks for the replies!
I highly doubt that is the case since I have heard guys say their gen 2 razor isn't as good as their old gen 1. From what I remember it was all mostly ergonomic type changes. Coming from a guy who owns gen 1 viper, stepping up to the razor is a no brainer, then again I would have to make a bigger jump than that to enjoy it probably. Not a fan of my viper.....

OP
H

HIPA39

FNG
That's exactly what my concern is. I'm liking the ergonomic design of the new viper. Similar to the new gen3 razor, but if the glass is better in the gen1 razor that's a no brainer!!
Thanks for the replies, would love to hear some side by side comparison.

cBurton5

FNG
Not a fan of my viper.....

Why is that? I’m just getting geared up for out west and was going to settle for the diamondback just to get me in one and not go broke with the rest of the gear. Then I decided to step up to the viper, now I read this haha

Forest

WKR
Why is that? I’m just getting geared up for out west and was going to settle for the diamondback just to get me in one and not go broke with the rest of the gear. Then I decided to step up to the viper, now I read this haha
I have the 80mm. In the middle of a clear day it provides a decent picture esp at low zoom levels. When its cloudy or late evening the picture at low zoom is "ok" but anything over half zoom is worthless. As with other vortex products ive had the overall qulity is pretty good, but not great. Out of all the optics i have owned or demoed, the spotter has the most variability from budget to euro in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

65mm Viper is good to me. The glass is pretty clear and it gathers plenty of light to glass through legal shooting. I can spot game for around 4 miles and judge pretty well for a few miles.I think it's a fine option though the Athlon Ares is probably better because of size and weight. I'd go for it.

The alpha are better but way more spendy too.

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 65mm Razor Gen 2 and have no complains so far for quality of the glass or spotter itself. But I did like the Gen 1 style much better, especially the focus wheels but guess it comes down to personal preference too. Would take the Razor over the Viper in a heartbeat if they are about the same price for you. Razor will be clearer image in general and around the edges of your field of view, and will be brighter in those light conditions.

OP
H

HIPA39

FNG
I spoke with the vortex guys and they told me the gen 2 viper vs gen 1 razor, edge still goes to gen 1 razor. I didn’t go into too much detail, but just wanted to confirm that they weren’t basically the same glass and they’re not!
After that I found a deal on a 65mm gen 1
Razor I couldn’t pass up and went for it. The money I saved was put toward a nice tripod. I’m sure this will hold me until I’m able to save up for something better.
I also considered the Athlon ares which seems like a good option, but the price on the razor was right and probably has better resale if I decide to upgrade later?

Thanks for all the comments!

I also considered the Athlon ares which seems like a good option, but the price on the razor was right and probably has better resale if I decide to upgrade later?

Yep, that’s almost certainly true. Whether everyone loves or even likes Vortex glass it certainly is a safe option if you can see yourself selling it in the future.

I’m looking into buying a mid level spotting scope and trying to decide between the two. I can get the two for about the same price with the viper a tad cheaper. Is there any difference in glass quality? I prefer the sleeker design of the new viper, similar to the new razor.

Thanks
I got both gen 1 razor and gen 2 viper in the 20-60x85mm configuration to compare, because I had the same question. After comparing, there is no comparison - the Razor gen 1 is superior in every category to me, and it was apparent immediately. It's also just easier to look through for an extended period of time. AND the focus adjustment wheel on the gen 1 razor is so much better then the wheel on all the gen 2's. Right now, you can get the gen 1 razors for the same price as the gen 2 vipers. Unless you absolutely need the focus adjustment on the body, this is a hands down no brainer to me, get the razor gen 1, not the viper gen 2. OR - try getting both and comparing, just about every company these days has free return shipping or shipping under $10. It pays to take some time and compare. I ordered 8 spotting scopes for comparison, and the gen 1 razor destroys everything around and below it's price point.