Vista CEO admits "capacity management"

Zappaman

WKR
I'll say it again... WHY does bacon cost twice what it did last year??? (and who are the THREE big meat companies supplying 90% of the meat market in the US today???)

Oligopoly...

Trial153

WKR
Add federal regulations. The dirty little secret being that most are lobbied for by existing industry to place new barriers that stifle new competition due to the cost of compliance.

What we are witnessing is a corporate government partnership in scale that has never been seen before. The new oligarchs.

Zappaman

WKR
(y)(y)(y) what he said... and I AGAIN am an 100% "capitalists" saying this!!! Free enterprise isn't what is was just 20 years back and Wall Street isn't your friend lately if you have a NEW idea (although one HAS to be smart enough to know if you don't play the 401K/market game-- you get screwed twice over). No way out from how I see it.

MattB

WKR
Add federal regulations. The dirty little secret being that most are lobbied for by existing industry to place new barriers that stifle new competition due to the cost of compliance.

What we are witnessing is a corporate government partnership in scale that has never been seen before. The new oligarchs.
When I was in banking, we had Obama messaging that it would be better if banks were broken up and scaled down, but at the same time the government was passing compliance regulations that essentially demanded large scale and consolidation - essentially saying one thing while taking regulatory action which forced the opposite result. That wasn't a function of corporate government partnership - in fact the relationship was quite contentious - but rather the government not understanding how its actions would translate to the market.

Zappaman

WKR
But the BIG bankers are always sitting next to EVERY president ;) And ya!- they have some "policy for the president" which is "executed" by appointees (who often are bankers- not regulators). Foxes in the hen house.

Ya I just don't see this an a "capitalism will fix it" kind of scenario.

You can either say "capitalism isn't perfect" or "this isn't capitalism," I'd agree with either or both.

The current players have too much power and control.