UT Bison Tag - Book Cliffs

Spoony

FNG
Somehow, I was lucky enough to get drawn for a once in a lifetime bison hunt in Eastern UT. Bull or cow, any legal weapon. I am a DIY solo archery hunter that takes great personal pride in the process; hiking in, finding the animals, making the shot, and of course the heavy packout if lucky enough (by myself). I am now looking for a reputable outfitter for the first time in my life that is inline with my hunt style. I do not need, and would prefer not to have, plush amenities like wall tents with stoves, food packed in, rental gear, etc. However I would like a pack out service to avoid meat spoilage that comes along with big animals/early season hunts and someone to help me find the animals since it is once in a lifetime hunt. 2 questions...

Can anyone list a few reputable, long time archery outfitters in the area? Does anyone have information about Wade Lemon Hunting?

Am I pushing my luck trying to find a reputable outfitter that provides a DIY "assisted" guide service for Bison?

Last edited:
I would call Guy & Cody @ GT Outfitters. My friend hunted w/them for MD in the Books last year, and had been in contact w/them for several years prior, leading up to drawing. Although I wasn’t able to join the hunt due to several health issues, my friend (whose judgement I trust implicitly), had nothing but great things to say about their operation, attitude, skill, and knowledge of the area. I know they have mule/horse teams and plenty of other mechanized equipment, and they guide for bison in the units. The only question would be whether they had the time to help you on a partial DIY; no doubt they’re booked solid w/full-service clientele. If not, I feel confident they’d be willing and able to hook you up w/another reputable outfitter they partner with. At least give them a call, I know they’ll take some time to point you in a direction.

Broadhead

FNG
Congrats on the tag! You're going to appreciate having a guide on this hunt with local knowledge of the area. My buddy drew a late cow rifle tag a few years ago in the Books and we hunted hard for multiple weekends. Never turned up the herd. It was a bit disappointing for sure.

CorbLand

WKR
Asking about Wade Lemon on here may be opening a can of worms you dont want to.

I would call High Desert Sheep Guides. I dont know that he does bison hunters but I know he has been involved in a couple. He could probably point you in the right direction of a guide if he doesnt.

OP
Spoony

Spoony

FNG
The Bison hunt starts Sept 14, in the middle of my archery elk season. I will likely be leaving directly from my elk hunt to my bison hunt. I assume I will be spent after hunting elk so I have decided a full service plush hunt to "recover" since it is probably what I will want at that time. We all need to be pampered at some point. I have come to the conclusion that this tag is as good of a reason as any to spend $10,000 on a hunt (tag + guide). Hunting is a passion, I will figure out a way to pay for it (and convince the GF).

I understand there is some controversy with WLH and I am cautious. However, I am also hesitant trusting second hand information from news, forums, and the internet in general. There is always 2 sides. Flame on. I appreciate the leads for High Desert Sheep Guides and GT outfitters. I will contact them and see what they offer.

Thank you all for responding. This is helpful.

OP
Spoony

Spoony

FNG
And moderators, does it make sense to have a Bison section in the Hunting Forums???

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled a cow tag in october for book/little creek/south got plenty of research to do but wouldnt mind getting some packer info

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bison hunt starts Sept 14, in the middle of my archery elk season. I will likely be leaving directly from my elk hunt to my bison hunt. I assume I will be spent after hunting elk so I have decided a full service plush hunt to "recover" since it is probably what I will want at that time. We all need to be pampered at some point. I have come to the conclusion that this tag is as good of a reason as any to spend $10,000 on a hunt (tag + guide). Hunting is a passion, I will figure out a way to pay for it (and convince the GF).

I understand there is some controversy with WLH and I am cautious. However, I am also hesitant trusting second hand information from news, forums, and the internet in general. There is always 2 sides. Flame on. I appreciate the leads for High Desert Sheep Guides and GT outfitters. I will contact them and see what they offer.

Thank you all for responding. This is helpful.
I seem to remember Wade Lemon had his guide license suspended, simply do a search using the key words "Utah poaching case".

I hunted there in September and it was hot. Books can be steep and deep but also has lots of roads running though a good portion of the bisons habitat.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

rogerthat

FNG
You do you but if I drew a OIL tag I would focus on that. Elk tags are a dime a dozen. Ymmv