Upgrading from Diamondback HDs, tell me its worth it.

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, they are $870 on amazon right now. Going on my 3rd western big game hunt this October, I'm not super experienced when it comes to glass. (thought I was getting something great with the DBs) but from what I read the difference will be night and day. Is it worth it? Am I making a big enough jump where I will truly notice a big difference in the glassing experience?

Thank you

Fowl Play

WKR
I am not a glass aficionado. But the major differences you will see will be in low light conditions. First 30 mins and last 30 mins there will be big differences. If you look through them side by side, mid day with great lighting you’ll wonder why you spent the extra money though.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
From the Diamondback's to $1000 class binos - HUGE differences. From $1000 to $2500 class - certainly better but not huge differences.

I was wondering about this....at what point do you hit diminishing returns with your money

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a glass aficionado. But the major differences you will see will be in low light conditions. First 30 mins and last 30 mins there will be big differences. If you look through them side by side, mid day with great lighting you’ll wonder why you spent the extra money though.
I hear a lot about low light improvement...which is great and all, but worth $1000??

One thing i did experience in my last hunt was annoying glares/light aberrations when glassing at any angle towards the rising sun. I wonder how much a high end pair of binos can prevent that?

I used to have a pair of db. Then I switched to maven c1. After that looking through the db was rough. After a while now I just got an old pair of slc. Now looking through the c1 is tough. I picked up a pair of db at my dads house to look at a bird with and couldn’t make the image as clear as I wanted. Basically the nicer the stuff you use the more you realize how much better it could be for you. You won’t regret buying better binos and at the end of the day they hold their value well also if you choose to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss Conquest is a great value at the price you found and clearly superior to the Diamondbacks. If you don't want to spend that much, get some Vortex Vipers, which are an improvement over the Diamondbacks, but not as good as the Zeiss. You really get what you pay for in this business. Also, Zeiss Conquest has great eye relief for eyeglasses.

Last edited:
OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have a pair of db. Then I switched to maven c1. After that looking through the db was rough. After a while now I just got an old pair of slc. Now looking through the c1 is tough. I picked up a pair of db at my dads house to look at a bird with and couldn’t make the image as clear as I wanted. Basically the nicer the stuff you use the more you realize how much better it could be for you. You won’t regret buying better binos and at the end of the day they hold their value well also if you choose to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I’m just trying to come to terms with spending the coin. Lol

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss Conquest is a great value at the price you found. If you don't want to spend that much, get some Vortex Vipers. They are a big step up from the Diamondbacks, which are also really good for the money. You really get what you pay for in this business.
I’ve seen some good deal on Vipers, I just don’t want to spend money and not tell a big difference or even be blown away. Wasn’t sure if that’s a big enough jump in quality to be satisfied

As a "western hunter" there is no other optic that you will use more than a high quality pair of 10X binos.(unless you are into 8s, or 12s). You will get your moneys worth out of them.

I cant speak for Vortex or Zeiss but I used a pair of Pentax 10x42 roof prisms for about 5+ years, then got a pair of Swaro ELs which I used for 12+ years until I got the Swaro NL Pures at the beginning of last year, there has been a noticeable difference in each bino, I am very glad I spent the money.

Fowl Play

WKR
I hear a lot about low light improvement...which is great and all, but worth $1000??

One thing i did experience in my last hunt was annoying glares/light aberrations when glassing at any angle towards the rising sun. I wonder how much a high end pair of binos can prevent that?
I'm just being honest on what to expect. I own 10x diamondback HD's and 10x swaro SLC's. If you look through them midday you would not be able to tell one was over $1k more. Now in low light conditions.... night and day. For me it is worth it, for a buy once cry once optic that is awesome in all hunting conditions. But I would set your expectations correctly. I honestly do not understand people when they say it is night and day under all conditions. It is not... good glass proves it's worth in low light. If choosing to spend money on glass though... put it mostly towards bino's. They are undoubtedly what you will use more. I still have a sub-par scope on one of my rifles that I hunt with for nostalgia reasons. I can kill a blob through that scope... My binos make sure I know what the blob at last legal shooting light is.

marjje

FNG
I recently made a similar upgrade (Styrka S5 to Meopta Meopro Air). As someone else said, it can be hard to tell the difference in good lighting but if you compare the two side by side, eventually you will notice why the better glass is worth the money and you won't be able to unsee it again.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a pair of db’s, and a pair of comparable Zeiss to what you are looking at. Slightly diff models in both cases, but guessing they are very similar. The center 1/3 of your field of view prob wont change much except in low light. However, the periphery of the field of view—the “edge to edge clarity”—is noticeably better in the zeiss’s we have. I dont notice it so much when I see a specific thing and am trying to id what it is; however, when I am glassing looking for a “thing” in the first place, it makes it noticeably easier for my eye to pick up movement or recognize a shape that isnt centered in the field if view.