Can a newbie even tell?

I am budgeting to buy some high-quality binoculars for next year. I know I am going to breach the $1000 mark to get some good binoculars but I am not sure if just aiming for the best glass I can get is the move when I don't have a lot of context for good, very, good, and great. For a guy who is still not a high-level glasser and has not spent much time behind quality glass is it worth it to make the leap for the $2000 plus pair of ELs or Zeiss SFLs? Or is that quality of glass lost on someone who hasn't spent enough time to know what he is looking at? I feel like I would be very happy behind some conquests, B.2s or Razor HDs or UHDs but I don't want to short myself making this big of a jump.

Marshfly

WKR
Just buy something that has a good resale market. If you find yourself glassing a ton, you will realize that top tier binos are literally a lifetime purchase and having the best is absolutely worth the money.
On the other hand, you may not hunt in a way that requires that much bino use and the mid tier will be awesome for you.
I was shocked at how often I pulled my binoculars out of my harness when I started hunting here after moving to Montana and quickly knew that I needed to upgrade.

There are some very good binos in the $700-900 range if you know what you're looking for. You would have to look back and forth between one of those and something >$2000 several times to see how the cheaper ones are lacking. With spotters, there's a big difference between those levels but not so with binos.

Laramie

WKR
Most rookies would be fine with a pair of Diamondback HD for $250. I still use a pair of them for my truck binos.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just buy something that has a good resale market. If you find yourself glassing a ton, you will realize that top tier binos are literally a lifetime purchase and having the best is absolutely worth the money.
On the other hand, you may not hunt in a way that requires that much bino use and the mid tier will be awesome for you.
I was shocked at how often I pulled my binoculars out of my harness when I started hunting here after moving to Montana and quickly knew that I needed to upgrade.
Yep, I’m from Co, but 50% of my hunts require 8x binos in timber, the other 50% are sitting behind glass for hours. Bino and spotter so it’s nice to have nice glass for that, but if you aren’t needing super nice stuff all the time mid grades would serve you very well

Marshfly

WKR
Most rookies would be fine with a pair of Diamondback HD for $250. I still use a pair of them for my truck binos.
I have a pair of these. Always thought something was wrong with my eyes. Nope, they just suck and will never get 100% focused. Waste of money for anything but casual use IMHO and in my experience.

Antares

WKR
I totally disagree with the above comments.

That’s one of the cool things about high end binos, a person with no experience or interest in optics can still be “wowed” by nice glass (especially if the diopter is adjusted correctly for them).

Can a rookie tell the difference? Absolutely.

Does a rookie need alpha glass? Absolutely not.

hunt1up

WKR
Just freehanding binos for general use you'll be fine with any decent pair. I'd split the difference and get something like Leica Trinovids, used SLCs, or maybe some Zeiss Conquests and be happy.

Laramie

WKR
I have a pair of these. Always thought something was wrong with my eyes. Nope, they just suck and will never get 100% focused. Waste of money for anything but casual use IMHO and in my experience.
Willing to sell them cheap?

dapesche

WKR
Heck yah. I have a kowa 883 and my friend has an older leupold gold ring. At the range I had a look through his leupold and it was noticeable.

If you're buying expensive binos to count tines on an elk at 50yds then don't waste your money. I use sightron 8x32 binos for that and they are great... And light.

I have some Sig Zulu 9 11x45 that are awesome. Clear, sharp and minimal distortion. You'll see some fringing if you're looking at something skylined but not enough of an issue where I'd spend another 1500 for a alpha bino with better glass and coatings.

I am selling those 11x because I have maven 15x56 that I use for sheep, bear and goat.

For sheep, you want high end gear.

For everything else, I'd argue that mid range is fine. I had a couple lower end binos and I am glad that I spent some more cash on a better glass.

To your question, you'll notice a difference if you're looking at static objects or peaking into the shadows.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

bnsafe

WKR
Years ago I had a 100 dollar pair of binocs, thought they were fine for what I did here in mo woods. Went to shoot prairie dogs and stopped at a cabelas and looked thru a pair of 400 dollars binocs and was shocked at the difference. Then, I made the mistake of looking thru swaros. I didnt buy them cause of where I live, and I had no idea cause I dont need that. but wow, is there a diff. Right now I use a pair of leupold bx4s and for what Im doing they are just fine. But if I lived in AZ for example looking for a good coues they would not work. So just depends on what your doing with them.

4th_point

WKR
I feel like I would be very happy behind some conquests, B.2s or Razor HDs or UHDs but I don't want to short myself making this big of a jump.
Good enough is good enough. Only you can make that call.

Easy answer to your question, and for you to prove it to yourself, would be to borrow or rent top class binocs and have some mid tier along at the same time. Maybe rent a Zeleekerski and get a Maven from the demo program. You'll want a few days to compare.

I could type a longwinded response but I think you'd be better off renting and seeing for yourself!

Nikon Monarch HG is a sweet setup in your price range. Especially if you get them with the routine email rebates from LLBean for 25% off.
As someone who can't convince his financial advisor (aka, wife) that he NEEDS the best of the best, I've found myself happy with the Nikons out west on glass intensive hunts.