Unknown tikka action mod issues…

Dunky

WKR
-I was under the impression the nitrided action would be "slick", when in reality its sticky. Is this what others are experiencing? Running it in the raceways isn't as slick but not a major issue. Cocking it though is sticky, there is substantially more resistance than my other actions (yes with the triggered pulled so I am actually cocking it). I haven't put this in a stock or anything but I am concerned this will knock a rifle out of position when reloading for a follow up shot. Is this what others got with their nitride? Does it smooth out if I work the action a bunch?
I did 2 actions without modification and just had them nitrided. I agree , I think the nitrided action is “ stickier” than it was before. Both are stainless and there is more resistance on those after nitride than on a factory blued Tikka that I compared it to and a stainless that I had cerekoted. I am hoping they break in with cycling the actions a bunch.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been playing around trying to quantify the situation and rule things out, its something with the bolt. I mounted this into a stock without a barrel so the leverage felt the same. If I use a digital fish scale to cock the bolt of my other tikkas its ~6lb, this one takes mid 20s. It feels like you've shot a really hot round and the bolt is sticking alot. If I swap bolts around a stock bolt cocks easily in the nitride action and the nitride bolt cocks hard in a stock action. I also swapped the firing pins back and forth and same results, the common issue is the nitride bolt body cocks really hard but nothing visually about it jumps at me. Anyone have any ideas?

I've shared this info with UM too, but maybe the broader RS crew has an idea what to check or what might be up.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did 2 actions without modification and just had them nitrided. I agree , I think the nitrided action is “ stickier” than it was before. Both are stainless and there is more resistance on those after nitride than on a factory blued Tikka that I compared it to and a stainless that I had cerekoted. I am hoping they break in with cycling the actions a bunch.
If I tip the gun a stock stainless action bolt slides out at a lower angle than the nitride one, but both are reasonable and I wouldn't have taken much notice if the cocking force wasn't like 4x on mine.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

This isn’t directed at you, just for all:

Machining, modifying, or otherwise cutting up a correctly designed action (Tikka) does not make it “better”. Everything someone does to it, will make it “less” in some way. Sheep ports, lightening, fluting, etc- they all make the gun worse in some way. That is the price for wanting to take a couple of ounces off- there isn’t a free lunch. If the trade off isn’t worth a worse running or feeling rifle, don’t do it.

As for the Nitride, have you lubed the bolt and cocking notch? The few I have seen were a bit harder in cocking for a bit- use lightened it up. What you are describing is beyond what I would expect.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As for the Nitride, have you lubed the bolt and cocking notch? The few I have seen were a bit harder in cocking for a bit- use lightened it up. What you are describing is beyond what I would expect.
Feel free to take a bow now Sir. Thank you! Lube in the cocking notch brought the cocking situation back a reasonable feel. SO that part was totally my bad. The nitride is a tad less slick than the stock action but had nothing to do with what was causing me major concern.

I'll add an edit to my original post clearing that up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Feel free to take a bow now Sir. Thank you! Lube in the cocking notch brought the cocking situation back a reasonable feel. SO that part was totally my bad. The nitride is a tad less slick than the stock action but had nothing to do with what was causing me major concern.

I'll add an edit to my original post clearing that up.

Good to hear.