unexpected night in the woods

What do you guys carry (if anything) for an unexpected night in the woods?
I've tried a bivanorak,there was allot of condensation and it was a bit on the heavy side to carry all the time although lately I've been thinking I didn't stick with it long enough.
I ordered a Gatewood Cape and returned it as soon as I saw it.Even though it is allot lighter it looked like a bit of a "Rube Goldberg"contraption and could not picture myself ever using it.
So for the time being I'll carry my SOL breathable emergency bivy.
Any other suggestions?
Tim

charvey9

WKR
I never like to pass up opportunities, so I just started taking my bivy, bag, and other essentials whenever I head out to the woods. Even if it is just a morning or evening sit. I'm not neccessarily concerned about getting lost in the woods, but sometimes I get out there and just don't want to come home or decide to go check out a new spot and don't want to be limited on time. I don't carry all my extra clothes, cooking gear, or food for a long trip, but at least have something to snack on that can get me through a day/night.

I just think it easier to keep all my gear together and in the same pack all the time, just grab and go. Never have to worry about forgeting something at home. Even though it is a limited amount of gear, it is good practice, a better workout, etc. I just can't come up with a good reason not to take it, and have never regreted having my essential gear.

I do keep SOL emergency bivies in both my vehicles though, just in case something unexpected happens while driving.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
After several unplanned nights away from camp, we have taken to carrying enough stuff to stay overnight in relative comfort nearly every time we leave camp for the day. Most of our gear is multipurpose, so it often gets used on day trips if the temps drop, we stop to glass, or it's just pouring out and we want to get out of the weather for awhile. Having the gear to stay out overnight is often the difference between hunting late into the day, or having to turn around and call it quits early because you have to get back to camp. It also keeps us from making potentially dangerous decisions because we are rushing to butcher or pack out animals shot late in the day. Packing bivy gear gives you options!

We put together this video last year that better explains what we take along.

http://vimeo.com/51714409
We didn't use the mega tarp much last season due to most of our hunts including more than 2 people, so we ended up using the SL5 quite a bit instead. I believe Luke just picked up another shelter for the two of us to use this season, I will let him chime in with the specifics when he gets back from Kodiak.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I realized after I posted above that we have made a couple other potentially weight saving changes to our bivy gear. We upgraded to a 10 degree EE rev x quilt in wide, which is nicer for the two of us to share and much warmer. We also picked up some down puffy pants from WM, which pack up considerably smaller and lighter than the MH compressor pants we used in the video. The MH pants still get the nod for trips where we expect to get wet (as they are synthetic), but for non coastal trips we save the weight with the down pants.

We always take a stove along, and I have taken to leaving a MH macaroni and cheese entree in my pack all the time. The large size has approx 3 servings and just shy of 1000 calories, so we both feel like we still got a real dinner when we share it.

Manosteel

WKR
Great vid Becca.

I have had to sleep on the side of a mountain before unexpected and learned my lession. I now always carry my bora bivy, sleeping pad and sleeping bag (this year quilt) and custom tarp/pack cover with me along with my food for the day, jetboil and my day hunt stuff.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Go lite poncho and emergency blanket with a fire starter kit. Not crazy comfortable but survivable...

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having minimal gear to spend a night out if needed is a game changer, but I have also come to believe that bivying out has a mental component too. We have watched hunting partners make the decision to hike miles through a boulder field in the dark after a long day hunting and hauling heavy loads because they either weren't prepared to spend the night, or were afraid they would be cold (in one instance we had room in our bivy shelter, extra food, and were willing to share one short thermalite pad so they could use our other one). On that occasion Luke and I had a great night relaxing and and leisurely morning fleshing capes, while our partners got lost, took a wrong turn, and finally dragged back to our maincamp at midnight in the dark before turning around and hiking all the way back to where we were with the meat and capes early the next day. Thankfully they made it safely, but I don't feel like they gained much by round tripping it to save themselves having to bivy out.

Having done it successfully, and realizing what it takes to stay comfortable makes it a lot less intimidating when you find yourself too far from your main camp at dusk.

kodiakfly

WKR
I carry a bag, bivy, headlamp (If you're out unexpectedly, it'd probably going to be dark!) food for the night and my standard survival kit.

Like Becca says, I think being able to be comfortable is huge when the time comes to make the decision that it's time to stop unexpectedly. KNOWING that I'll at least be warm and fed goes a long way towards deciding to safely stop and hunker down...even in bad weather. And I've spent a few nights that weren't planned for, and every single one I was glad I did and comfortable while I did it.

OP
T
All good ideas.For the time being I'll probably just carry a poncho ,small pad and SOL emergency bivy than depending on the time of year I'll step it up from there
Tim

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got Becca and Lukes Paratarp just for this purpose. Also have the HPG Mnt Serape.

I always carry my super woobie, paratarp and a SOL emergency bivy. My "possibles" bag goes everywhere as well. This is for the truck or a hike.