Meat in Cooler in Freezing Temps

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I killed a buck Friday morning, had him quartered out in about 2 hours (took my time, pulled multiple other cuts off too) in 45* weather, with Friday evening the temps dropping into the 20's. I'd add that I let the meat hang back at camp at 45*~ ish degrees for about 2 hours. I also deboned the hind quarters because I had the time and wanted to go ahead and get it knocked out (and not carry that extra wt).

Put him on ice in cooler back at camp for about 24 hours, got home last night and the temps are in the low 20's. I'm doing wet age on ice due to prior success with this method, but never dealt with a Yeti with meat on ice on my back deck with the outside temp below freezing. I've been checking the meat and it's definitely hardening up - though not getting completely frozen (yet). I assume this would slow/stop the aging process? Is that a correct/fair assumption? Due to the amount of time I have this coming week, I was only planning on aging the meat about 3 days. Final thing is I trimmed all of the meat of sinew/silver skin/etc. except the front quarters.

Appreciate any help here. Thanks, guys.

TxxAgg

WKR
What is the question exactly?

Have you PM'd Luke from Eastmans?

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Does meat on ice in a cooler which is in freezing temperatures slow/stop the aging process? Is there anything I should be concerned about? Should I have done / do anything differently?

EdP

WKR
Based on this
When meat freezes the enzymatic breakdown of the fibers will stop.
it appears you have 2 options:

1) Bring your cooler inside and put some ice in it. Check periodically to ensure it is staying cold.
2) Leave cooler outside and put some water jugs in it. Check periodically to ensure all the water has not frozen.

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't think it matters, but can y'all put my mind at ease that there's no risk of spoilage? Like I mentioned above, I *think* this was about the most ideal conditions in terms of ambient temp when I quartered out and the subsequent temps that evening (Low 40's dropping into the teens).

I don't think it matters, but can y'all put my mind at ease that there's no risk of spoilage? Like I mentioned above, I *think* this was about the most ideal conditions in terms of ambient temp when I quartered out and the subsequent temps that evening (Low 40's dropping into the teens).
It certainly won’t spoil in three days. Meat with a constant internal temp of 60 will keep for three days.