UM TIKKA Scope Rings

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
The bubble level is genius, a true why didn’t I think of that moment! Ordered….

nobody

WKR
Just over here impatiently waiting for the drop test... ;) I'm sure these fared well, but the caveman in me still wants to know!

TX_Diver

WKR
Anyone know what the height of the T084s are for comparison?

Thinking I want to raise my scope up as I find myself having to put a good amount of pressure on the stock to get my head low enough. If I'm not really paying attention to not putting too much pressure on the stock I find myself hitting left .2-.3 Mils.

Seems like if I could get my head upright a bit more and take some pressure off I'd be in better shape (open to opinions on that!)

Edit - Best I can figure the lows are closest to the T084s?

.42" + .59" (half of 30mm) = 1.02" for the T084s?

So I'd probably want mediums or highs. With an adjustable cheek piece is there any reason not to go w/ highs? If the Mediums are too low I'm kind out of luck but if the highs are too high I just bump the cheek piece up?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone know what the height of the T084s are for comparison?

Thinking I want to raise my scope up as I find myself having to put a good amount of pressure on the stock to get my head low enough. If I'm not really paying attention to not putting too much pressure on the stock I find myself hitting left .2-.3 Mils.

What stock are you using that places the scope too low for the TO84’s?

So I'd probably want mediums or highs. With an adjustable cheek piece is there any reason not to go w/ highs? If the Mediums are too low I'm kind out of luck but if the highs are too high I just bump the cheek piece up?

Despite the current fad of putting scopes high mounted on rifles, there are plenty of cons to mounting a scope higher above the bore than it requires. A simple look at someone shooting prone would show the issue with neck/head/eye alignment with a high mounted scope- not to even get to shooting performance benefits of lower scopes.

TX_Diver

WKR
What stock are you using that places the scope too low for the TO84’s?

Despite the current fad of putting scopes high mounted on rifles, there are plenty of cons to mounting a scope higher above the bore than it requires. A simple look at someone shooting prone would show the issue with neck/head/eye alignment with a high mounted scope- not to even get to shooting performance benefits of lower scopes.
Krg bravo. Too low is a guess. It could be my form also though. I am not an expert shooter by any means

I can send you a pic or video next time I shoot. Anything critical to show or best angle to take pic from?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Krg bravo. Too low is a guess. It could be my form also though. I am not an expert shooter by any means

I can send you a pic or video next time I shoot. Anything critical to show or best angle to take pic from?

Nope, that’s what I thought. The TO84’s are right on the edge of too low with the Bravo. A medium height would be my choice for that combo.

TX_Diver

WKR
Nope, that’s what I thought. The TO84’s are right on the edge of too low with the Bravo. A medium height would be my choice for that combo.
10-4. It seems like people are going higher and higher with rings now days? What are the disadvantages of that out of curiosity?

Feel free to send any technical questions my way. These rings are gonna be SICK!!!!
That’s an interesting detail. Are the “low” rings workable in combination with a KRG Bravo?

Anecdotally, many use the T084 rings with the Bravo (cheek piece bottomed out), and the UM “low” rings appear to be a touch higher than the sportsmatch.

Has this just been a compromise due to availability and/or mimesis?

Is the recommendation of “medium” height UM rings a better safe than sorry route, or is it a hard necessity to make the combination better/workable?

I’m putting this system together at the moment but the rifle is out getting chopped/threaded. So I can’t do the measurements myself for several more weeks.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That’s an interesting detail. Are the “low” rings workable in combination with a KRG Bravo?

Anecdotally, many use the T084 rings with the Bravo (cheek piece bottomed out), and the UM “low” rings appear to be a touch higher than the sportsmatch.

Has this just been a compromise due to availability and/or mimesis?

Is the recommendation of “medium” height UM rings a better safe than sorry route, or is it a hard necessity to make the combination better/workable?

I’m putting this system together at the moment but the rifle is out getting chopped/threaded. So I can’t do the measurements myself for several more weeks.

There’s a margin of error calculated in. Approx .03”-.05” . The only consideration we had in these measurements was the clearance height of the barrel.

So take it for what it’s worth… because measuring cheek height on a crazy amount of stocks and chassis isn’t in the cards.

Ken

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I have not seen it used the UM 30mm Low rings so can’t say. Yes, for most the SM TO84’s (which are “medium”) work with the KRG Bravo, but they are right at the limit.

There’s a margin of error calculated in. Approx .03”-.05” . The only consideration we had in these measurements was the clearance height of the barrel.

So take it for what it’s worth… because measuring cheek height on a crazy amount of stocks and chassis isn’t in the cards.

Ken

Fair. I wouldn’t expect measurements with every stock. That’d be ridiculous and expensive.

Figured it was worth asking about the Bravo in particular due to its popularity on this forum. Combined with your involvement on this site, I wouldn't have been surprised if one of the test rifles had been equipped with one just by coincidence.

On another note, is there method to the madness on the choice of hex head screws over torx?

Best I can guess is to limit the user from over-torquing the rings and damaging the threads. It’s a minor detail but I’m curious nonetheless. You may know something I don’t on the pros and cons of the two.

Thank you for the open dialogue, the feedback is appreciated.