UM TIKKA Scope Rings

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I purchased the low for a 30MM tube and 44MM Objective like that chart on their site recommended, do you think those will work or should I have gone with med?

I haven’t seen them, but based on sizing I think there’s a good chance you’ll be good.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fair. I wouldn’t expect measurements with every stock. That’d be ridiculous and expensive.

Figured it was worth asking about the Bravo in particular due to its popularity on this forum. Combined with your involvement on this site, I wouldn't have been surprised if one of the test rifles had been equipped with one just by coincidence.

On another note, is there method to the madness on the choice of hex head screws over torx?

Best I can guess is to limit the user from over-torquing the rings and damaging the threads. It’s a minor detail but I’m curious nonetheless. You may know something I don’t on the pros and cons of the two.

Thank you for the open dialogue, the feedback is appreciated.

In order to get screws that were “in the raw” they had to be hex head. They couldn’t have been previously coated in order for them to be nitrided.

atmat

WKR
In order to get screws that were “in the raw” they had to be hex head. They couldn’t have been previously coated in order for them to be nitrided.
Thanks for this explanation. Kind of a bummer, I much prefer torx over hex. Can you share what size hex wrench these screws use?

10-4. It seems like people are going higher and higher with rings now days? What are the disadvantages of that out of curiosity?

More natural neck/head position than craned down and tilted to the side to get down to a low scope, more particularly in upright positions than prone.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
More natural neck/head position than craned down and tilted to the side to get down to a low scope, more particularly in upright positions than prone.

And the “upright high” head position causes just as many issues with comfort as too low a scope. A person should not be craning their face over to see through a scope, nor should they have an extended neck to be “natural” behind the scope either.

A vertical head position, sliding the cheek straight down on the cheek piece until it naturally stops, then set scope to that height. And in general, shooting with rifles that recoil, from jacked up alternate positions, at varied angles and slopes- lower to bore is better then higher to bore.

Those look sweet. Rethinking my scope on my main 6.5 boomer and may need new rings. After doing the dance to find a set of sports match rings, I am liking what I see here.

And the “upright high” head position causes just as many issues with comfort as too low a scope. A person should not be craning their face over to see through a scope, nor should they have an extended neck to be “natural” behind the scope either.

A vertical head position, sliding the cheek straight down on the cheek piece until it naturally stops, then set scope to that height. And in general, shooting with rifles that recoil, from jacked up alternate positions, at varied angles and slopes- lower to bore is better then higher to bore.
Slight derail, but when you get time, could you expound on the negatives of higher scope mounting? I know that the further away from the centerline of the bore, the more pronounced the differential is between the trajectory and line of sight through the scope but was wondering what the other effects are.

I have always tried to get my scopes as low as possible but that is because I have way more experience shooting field shotguns than rifles so I naturally cheek down really tight on my stocks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
73a82f907aafefb61ff3f1aa5e2da6f9.jpg

Coming soon….

Better get your order in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How adjustable is the recoil pin?

I'm considering getting my action milled flush with the ejection port, but want to make sure I can still use these rings afterwards!
The front one can be used in the actual pin location, or in the oval lug. So lots of options. The rear one has the 3 locations.